• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really? Did CGC just jump the shark?
7 7

142 posts in this topic

I have a question. Never having held an Action 1 in my hands or examined one. How would one be able to tell that this was legitimate from 1938 and not from one of the first reprints? Does it overlap with something on the back cover? 

On 3/18/2022 at 5:11 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

FD274035-125B-4C9F-9512-67C6DA9337FD.thumb.jpeg.c980bddd78181465227cb0d6a5f73616.jpeg

See, I look at this, and the fact that they are grading "invisible comics", and that people are buying this stuff and I just have to think that a crash is coming.  I mean this makes no sense to me at all.  Yes I have to ask why would CGC cert that, but more importantly who in their right mind would pay $7100 for it?

On 3/19/2022 at 5:58 PM, media_junkie said:

See, I look at this, and the fact that they are grading "invisible comics", and that people are buying this stuff and I just have to think that a crash is coming.  I mean this makes no sense to me at all.  Yes I have to ask why would CGC cert that, but more importantly who in their right mind would pay $7100 for it?

$7101:baiting:

On 3/19/2022 at 4:19 PM, Krydel4 said:

I have a question. Never having held an Action 1 in my hands or examined one. How would one be able to tell that this was legitimate from 1938 and not from one of the first reprints? Does it overlap with something on the back cover? 

It's because it's in a blue label that you know it's legitimate.  CGC verified it.  :insane:

On 3/19/2022 at 3:52 PM, Randall Dowling said:

It's because it's in a blue label that you know it's legitimate.  CGC verified it.  :insane:

I feel there needs to be some sort of COA that comes with this detailing the story behid it. Kind of like how there should be before and after pics accompanying Extensively Restored books.

On 3/19/2022 at 3:58 PM, media_junkie said:

This might be a "heritage" type sale where "if" it was a actual bonafide sale.  It might be that they are setting the bar for other future sales of pieces of books to "normalize" the cannibalization of future key's.  CGC has lost there way and basically is now McDonalds with out the service and efficiency.

On 3/19/2022 at 7:49 PM, Krydel4 said:

I feel there needs to be some sort of COA that comes with this detailing the story behid it. Kind of like how there should be before and after pics accompanying Extensively Restored books.

This definitely belonged to a boardie.  As I recall it might have been from a scrap book where there were cut-outs of the first 5 to 10 Action comics pasted onto pages.  In fact, I think the numbers 2 - 10 might have been clipped in the same way as this "#1".  

Personally, I don't mind this at all.  It IS a piece of Action 1 so it certainly has value.  It's recognizable, unlike the brittle newsprint pieces that were offered up and sold.

I think it was silly to slab it into a full size Comic slab.  Perhaps slabbing it into a "collectible card" slab would have been more appropriate.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:37 AM, Gaard said:

You're absolutely certain of this?

My "experience" in the hobby tells me yes.  Can I be 100% certain without examining the piece, no. 

Here's where the "1" came from.

My experience in the hobby tells me that these are all authentic original pieces cut out from original copies and pasted onto the contruction paper.  If they aren't, it's a most ingenious ruse that's fooled a lot of people including CGC.

Throw these covers on a "Light Table" so you can see thru to the backsides of the pieces, and I'll wager you'll be able to see the advertisements printed on the inside covers.

The clipped numbers in the corners appear to be from Action 1, Action 2, Action 3, Action 4, & Action 5.  The background color behind the numbers matches the first 5 issues colors of Action comics.  In the original Heritage listing they neglected to mention that about the numbers.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 3/21/2022 at 10:56 AM, The Velcronomicon said:

Bleeding Cool says this:

"How did this come about?  According to the consignor, this item originated as part of this "Superman Homemade Golden Age Stories Bound Volumes" set sold at Heritage Auctions in 2013.  As can be seen at that auction listing, some collector, presumably decades ago, made his own set of these stories and cut out issue numbers from the covers of several issues of Action Comics and Superman to help do that."

Here are the photos from the heritage auction.

These sold for $5676 back in 2013 on Heritage.  

The piece that has the iconic image of Superman with the Car will go for a LOT more than $7000 if it comes to auction.

The piece from Action 7 should do well too.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

CGC began collapsing into self parody a while back, but as long as the money keeps rolling in, I don't expect things to change. The market has gone from robust to bonkers to altogether unsettling. Too much money in the game, too many people. Bah!

On 3/21/2022 at 1:17 PM, musicmeta said:

This is just insane!!! 

You know what is more insane???? NFTs lol.

This NFT sold for $23.7 million   Maybe the new owner of the "#1" should digitize it and make an NFT out of it. :idea:

FLbIwZIXsAYOd8N.jpg

Edited by gadzukes