• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Reader 126.... Factory Stapled Shut.
3 3

10 posts in this topic

My lovely wife knowing I'm a Moon Knight nut purchased me a beautiful copy of Comic Reader 126 celebrating us being together 12 years.

The only thing that immediately jumped out at me was that the book was stapled shut.

One of my best friends hooked her up with the seller, he informed me the staple was intentional at printing. I figured I'd ask if anyone here had any insight into this practice or it's purpose. The staple looks original and intentional but obviously all copies were not stapled this way.

On 3/19/2022 at 11:35 PM, Lightning55 said:

Looks like it was stapled so that it could be mailed.  I believe that time period was before the USPS changed their policy about how to seal mailing pieces, now no staples allowed.

Cool thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any info on these?

Was a certain percentage of these stapled off the press and designated as "mailers"?

Curious what the back looks like.  Maybe a return address on the top left, a mailing permit number where the stamp would go?  I don't know how these were distributed, but unless handed out personally, wouldn't they get mailed to a subscriber base?

If nothing is on the back, it could still be that it was set up for mailing.  The old method used to be to print out mailing labels on a pre-formatted label sheet using your subscriber database.  Then peel and stick the labels on, add a stamp, off they go.

On 3/21/2022 at 12:47 AM, Lightning55 said:

Curious what the back looks like.  Maybe a return address on the top left, a mailing permit number where the stamp would go?  I don't know how these were distributed, but unless handed out personally, wouldn't they get mailed to a subscriber base?

If nothing is on the back, it could still be that it was set up for mailing.  The old method used to be to print out mailing labels on a pre-formatted label sheet using your subscriber database.  Then peel and stick the labels on, add a stamp, off they go.

I'll  take a back picture when I get home from work today and throw it up here. Nothing on it from my recollection though.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:33 AM, divad said:

I would remove all three staples regardless. hm

Rust never sleeps.

It does however rest its eyes. :nyah:

I'd like to leave it in its original distribution form rusty staples and all.

Edited by Lurker89

On 3/19/2022 at 10:34 PM, Lurker89 said:

Was a certain percentage of these stapled off the press and designated as "mailers"?

They were probably all mailed, as it was a subscription based publication. There were not really any comic distributors at the time and the vast majority of copies went to subscribers.

Did this thread get edited for some reason? There seem to some missing posts.

On 3/20/2022 at 12:34 AM, Lurker89 said:

I bought a large collection of these a couple of years back and 90% had the subscription staple on them, most showing a degree of rust on them (cheap staples). I assumed the others were sold at conventions direct from the publisher or old comic stores.