• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy Freakin' Cow - Asking prices on feeBay
9 9

142 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2022 at 5:35 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I guess the only point I'll make is, imagine that when you (as an "end consumer") went to buy that steak, there was someone else (say, a restaurant owner) who bought that steak for higher than what you considered a fair price, and then tried to sell the steak for 50% or even 100% above that already ridiculous number.  And keep in mind, in this fictitious scenario there are only about 20 such steaks in existence and the vast majority of those are not available for sale.

It can be very frustrating as a collector trying to navigate a market full of flippers and market manipulators.

I agree in part - I guess I am looking at this not as a rookie or even a sophomore collector.  I am looking at this like a long-time collector, who when I go to a comic con - I know which 1 or 2 dealers to avoid and which ones I can spend hours with discussing prices and ultimately purchasing from.  Thus the incessant almost cycadean-like chatter of overpriced comics on eBay etc - I simply am blind too at this point and don't get me started on some of those overpriced live sales on IG.  :preach:

On 3/21/2022 at 8:08 PM, oakman29 said:

People can ask whatever they want for something,  doesnt mean they will get it.

True, but it's a form of market manipulation.  It's very hard to track and confirm a pattern, but it seems that at least some of the time, setting a way-above-market asking price in one forum can influence the bidding on another.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:01 PM, CGC Mike said:

This doesn't belong in the FS section.  I have moved it to comics general.

I wondered why I suddenly felt covered with filth. :eek: 

Regardless of venue, the asking prices in general have turned ridiculous and unaffordable for most people, for anything with a hint of key desirability or vintage.  It’s painful to look at offers anywhere; eBay, elsewhere online, or here, compared to the cheaper, happier, more carefree days of yore.

It is a shocking and scary situation, as indicated by the OP’s thread title, and I personally prefer to distance myself and not stare into the abyss.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/22/2022 at 12:08 AM, oakman29 said:

People can ask whatever they want for something,  doesnt mean they will get it.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:44 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

That’s deep 

I concur, and to continue in an equally intellectual and philosophical mode of analysis, they can shove it these days, more often than not.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/22/2022 at 4:12 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Regardless of venue, the asking prices in general have turned ridiculous and unaffordable for most people, for anything with a hint of key desirability or vintage.  It’s painful to look at offers anywhere; eBay, elsewhere online, or here, compared to the cheaper, happier, more carefree days of yore.

It is a shocking and scary situation, as indicated by the OP’s thread title, and I personally prefer to distance myself and not stare into the abyss.

These past few months have gotten to the point that even I (who admittedly have a high tolerance for pain) have been discouraged or even flat out pissed off not only by the asking prices, but even more so by the prices some of these books are getting at auction.  I'm talking about junk run fillers (in high grade, but still junk) going for multiples of anything reasonable.

This just can't go on forever, it makes no sense.

On 3/22/2022 at 4:12 AM, Ken Aldred said:

On 3/22/2022 at 5:49 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

These past few months have gotten to the point that even I (who admittedly have a high tolerance for pain) have been discouraged or even flat out pissed off not only by the asking prices, but even more so by the prices some of these books are getting at auction.  I'm talking about junk run fillers (in high grade, but still junk) going for multiples of anything reasonable.

Add to that buying fees or eBay taxes and the situation is really untenable.  There's no getting around auction house fees (for those that have them) but I was scalded by that eBay tax they're collecting now from pretty much every state.  

It was talked about on another thread here, and I read it too, but came the moment to buy something and, as it had never affected me up to that moment, I forgot. doh!     There were a few books someone was selling, I bundled them, made a reasonable offer, and the seller was nice enough to accept.  When I got the eBay invoice, pretty much everything I had negotiated off was wiped out by a 7% tax added (on a 5-figure deal).  I was tempted to tell the seller and just cancel, but a deal's a deal and it wasn't his fault so I just paid up and learned a lesson.

On 3/22/2022 at 2:49 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel this way.  I thought maybe I was just cheap.  But I can't justify paying $1000 for a book I could have gotten for $200 just a few years ago (which increased from $100-$200 in the last 15 years).  You're right, it cannot sustain.  I left the hobby in 2013 because I couldn't afford the books I wanted, and couldn't get excited about non-key issues or copies in poor condition.  Since then, my income as tripled, so I was excited to finally get the books I couldn't afford back then.  Well, prices have more than tripled (in the last year), so I'm in the same boat.  

Edited by Rob

On 3/21/2022 at 1:35 PM, goldust40 said:

I saw that and of course that has no bearing on reality whatsoever. Great cover of course.

Anyway, wrong forum - this is the GA/SA/BA marketplace.

Unless you happen to have a Wonder Comics 2 for sale...:p

Whoops?  I see the Mod moved it, thanks!

Edited by path4play

On 3/22/2022 at 8:25 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

Add to that buying fees or eBay taxes and the situation is really untenable.  There's no getting around auction house fees (for those that have them) but I was scalded by that eBay tax they're collecting now from pretty much every state.  

It was talked about on another thread here, and I read it too, but came the moment to buy something and, as it had never affected me up to that moment, I forgot. doh!     There were a few books someone was selling, I bundled them, made a reasonable offer, and the seller was nice enough to accept.  When I got the eBay invoice, pretty much everything I had negotiated off was wiped out by a 7% tax added (on a 5-figure deal).  I was tempted to tell the seller and just cancel, but a deal's a deal and it wasn't his fault so I just paid up and learned a lesson.

Sales Tax?! We don't have that problem.

DJPylwIBQRHC.gif