• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Giant-Size X-Men worth it?
3 3

54 posts in this topic

Hey Gang,

Thanks for the help in this topic. I've done some digging and I have a vague opinion on the matter, but I would truly appreciate everyones' perspectives on the matter as well.

Basically I have been able to get a sizeable amount of cash to put down on a book, roughly 6+ thousand, and I was thinking of what to do with it. 
After going through a whole series of options, I've been circling around Hulk 181, and GSX 1, as 2 very viable options for purchases. The problem is, these books have really gone ballistic in value, especially with the last comic boom.

I've always secretly wanted both books, even though reading them was a bit lackluster.

I wanted everyones' true opinion on GSX 1 and if they found the book to be a worthwhile investment, do you think prices will continue to fall, and the overall longevity of the purchase. It's kind of a grail book, but I'm quickly realizing that 6+k now doesn't even buy a half decent copy of the book! and at 6+k down, that is currently an 8.0 to an 8.5, total census is: literally 4,500 copies. $6,000 for a book with 4,500 copies IS A LOT. I understand "Demand" vs "Supply", but it's still really hard to see the smart investment in this scenario.

For instance, X-Men 101, in a 9.8, yes, is only the 1st appearance of 1 character, but $5,000 is only 177 on census... and maybe not as significant as a grail book YET, but if they wrap Phoenix (not necessarily Jean Grey) into a huge part of the MCU, which may be a direction... just seems like a smarter investment? I think Hulk 181 is way overpriced, side note.

My advice is go for the IH181 while you have the funds. That damn book is going to keep rising in price for a long time, barring some global catastrophe. If 6K can get you a copy you can enjoy, and the money is burning a hole in your pocket, make the leap. 

Personally, I enjoy GSX1 more (for the story and characters), but that book will always be second fiddle to IH181. In fact, I bought my copy before my 181, and the prices of 181 went up in the meantime. (Although this was longer than two years ago, when things started to get really frothy.) 

GS Xmen 1 is currently overvalued, as is hulk 181.  Xmen 94 is less important than the aforementioned books.

I would hold and continue building a war chest for hulk 181, and purchase when the timing is better.  Remember, this book has stalled/stagnated a handful of times so you just need to be patient 

I like the consensus here and would go with IH 181. GSX 1 was due for a correction but seems high for what is really first Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus. I could see the Storm angle helping, though. Wolverine will be back in the MCU and this book does not seem, to me, to be coming back down, given the influx of new collectors buying and holding. The best time is probably now. Yesterday was better and tomorrow will probably be worse. I like the idea of X-Men 94 too for the two-fer. 

In other news, the relative value of GL 76 has plummeted. It looks very affordable compared to historically comparable bronze age keys. 

You could also consider IH 180. 

On 3/24/2022 at 11:59 AM, PeterPark said:

In other news, the relative value of GL 76 has plummeted. It looks very affordable compared to historically comparable bronze age keys. 

I still remember way back in the day when Avengers 93 was the biggest BA book of them all and collectors just had to be in on that book there.  :luhv:

This is great feedback guys. Honestly. 
It’s funny because I sincerely thought to avoid 181, but to hear how much support that book gets over GSX, is a bit surprising. 

I did think about the Storm angle as well, thinking she might play a much larger role than she did through Halle Berry but I just felt that a 6.0 with 11,000 on census for $6k wasn’t smart buying. 

And that post with the girl was actually very well appreciated lol:takeit:

Edited by D2

If you dont mind waiting a bit, I'd cherrypick some auctions at MCS and re-consign the books, marking them up 25%.  Flip the books twice and keep saving. In a few months you'll be able to get one nice book.  

Hulk 181 all the way. I just bought a Hulk 181 8.0 white pager for $7500.....I have a 6.5 that initially I was going to sell, but decided to hang onto it. - This is a good time to grab one as prices have dipped a bit. It won't last as this book is a blue chip item. - I have a X men 94 and GSX 1 as well, but 181 is the way to go 

Yes it's a worthy key with reliable staying power. If you're going to go for a big X related key do it now. This market blows on the seller side these days. Clink just had a flop of an auction with GSXM and X94 except for that 9.8 GSXM. Imo the people likely to push the market to 2021 levels are not the people caring about what story is more important. They may not have even thought about reading them at all. They'll care more about order of appearance, that No. 1 on the cover and what crypto is doing. At this point it wouldn't surprise if you could possibly pull off a 9.0 for that money if you find the right auction. So I'd see if I could pull that off before moving on to the high grade 101 even if it means having to save up a little more. GSXM 9.0 > X101 9.8

On 3/24/2022 at 3:10 PM, Bluemedgroup said:
On 3/24/2022 at 2:05 PM, lou_fine said:

I still remember way back in the day when Avengers 93 was the biggest BA book of them all and collectors just had to be in on that book there.  :luhv:

For real?  Is that even a key?  

Well, from your response to my post, I guess it clearly shows both of our ages here.  lol

Yes, I still remember the late 70's when Avengers 93 was the most expensive of the BA super hero books with only Spidey 121 and 122 being the only books to come even close.  That was when Spidey 129 was yet to be even broken out in the Overstreet guide and books like that along with X-Men 94 and Hulk 181 were still guiding for less than a dollar.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

That entire run from Avengers 93 to 100 with the Adams and Smith art was definitely huge back then, especially in terms of the squarebound Avengers 93 with 52 pages of pure classic Neal Adams art from cover to cover:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-avengers-93-marvel-1971-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/122144-11168.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F9%2F6%2F8%2F24968595%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I would assume there must still be some love for Avengers 93 since this CGC 9.6 graded copy here sold for $5,040 back in October of last year. :applause: