• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings - Any info on what can be done?
3 3

36 posts in this topic

I realize the topic of Newton Rings has come up before, but I am wondering whether there is any new info on what can be done about them. In a comic I just got back they are making Wolverine look like he is frothing at the mouth, which isn't necessarily a bad thing except that it was not a part of the original drawing. 

Please note that I am in Canada so sending it back to CGC for re-holdering is not a great option due to shipping costs. 

IMG_8473.JPG

not sure if they do the same for Canada as they do in the states but if you reach out to CGC if they determine the newton ring defect to be substantial enough (which I don't think can be argued by your picture) they should cover the shipping costs both ways for a mechanical error re-holder

bad thing is you have to wait for your book once again but I'd reach out to them and see how they can help

On 3/26/2022 at 8:43 AM, I like pie said:

The updated online forms have a built in "Mechanical Error" option. They pay for return shipping.

There's no fix for it. Suction cups may temporarily improve them but it will revert.

Not sure this is true anymore--or it's luck of the draw in terms of whom you speak to.  I had Newton rings larger than what is pictured here, emailed submissions@cgccomics.com, and the response was that all I could do was pay for a reholder and hope it came out better this time.  Here's the exact quote: "Thank you for your e-mail. There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable."  Full stop.  I elected not to pay for a reholder.

Mechanical error does not cover newton rings, as they are not considered an error.  Mechanical error would be like something broke inside or an incorrect label, etc.

Edited by Poekaymon

On 3/27/2022 at 2:11 AM, Poekaymon said:

Not sure this is true anymore--or it's luck of the draw in terms of whom you speak to.  I had Newton rings worse than what is pictured here, emailed submissions@cgccomics.com, and Rebecca Bonacci said all I could do was pay for a reholder and hope it came out better this time.  Here's the exact quote: "Thank you for your e-mail. There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable."  Full stop.  I elected not to pay for a reholder.

Mechanical error does not cover newton rings, as they are not considered an error.  Mechanical error would be like something broke inside or an incorrect label, etc.

please post pictures

On 3/27/2022 at 8:11 AM, Poekaymon said:

Not sure this is true anymore--or it's luck of the draw in terms of whom you speak to.  I had Newton rings worse than what is pictured here, emailed submissions@cgccomics.com, and Rebecca Bonacci said all I could do was pay for a reholder and hope it came out better this time.  Here's the exact quote: "Thank you for your e-mail. There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable."  Full stop.  I elected not to pay for a reholder.

It's a shame to see that customer services are still pushing the 'normal and acceptable' line after all these years. I wonder why Rebecca did not go on to offer you a reholder if the rings were excessive, as they have done in the past?  It's almost as if CGC are trying to force a faulty product on you, isn't it, making you out to be the bad guy for complaining.

I've always thought, if Newton Rings are normal and acceptable, why do we never see any in CGC's advertising, or see them mentioned on the website?

This is an old argument of course, but is it right to trumpet a 'crystal clear display' and 'superior optics' on a visual medium product if a 'normal' part of the production process can generate the appearance of an ugly oil slick on your book?

It isn't is it. And seeking to avoid responsibility is shameful, isn't it.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/holder/

Capture.thumb.PNG.5fd5bc69a0890beb1fe7b8ed275521ee.PNG

On 3/27/2022 at 11:04 AM, fett said:

the money is still green though (worship)

Yup.

What would you prefer though, if it were you running it - reasonable policy and lots of money, or unreasonable policy and lots of money+

On 3/27/2022 at 2:34 AM, Poekaymon said:

Sure.  This was one.  I didn't take a full pic of the slab but it was about double the size of OPs.

thumbnail_IMG_0391.thumb.jpg.41d91171eb7c50bc61eef52e100f0a02.jpg

thanks for posting

talk about putting the “spotlight” on newton rings

great book and that is shameful

I would have tried to go above the first reps head though I also understand they are now limiting the reholder to having to report the issue 2 weeks after having received the book (which I believe to be fair)

“customer service” like that will surely drive people away

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

On 3/27/2022 at 5:14 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yup.

What would you prefer though, if it were you running it - reasonable policy and lots of money, or unreasonable policy and lots of money+

sorry not saying in any way that I like the newton rings or the poor service-I just don't think CGC cares as long as they still get paid. How much would it cost them if they had to correctly fix the newton ring problem? AND replace all the X-jobs they have already released? The stated policy that it's just fine and dandy shows that they are unwilling to spend the amount of money needed.  

On 3/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, fett said:

sorry not saying in any way that I like the newton rings or the poor service-I just don't think CGC cares as long as they still get paid. How much would it cost them if they had to correctly fix the newton ring problem? AND replace all the X-jobs they have already released? The stated policy that it's just fine and dandy shows that they are unwilling to spend the amount of money needed.  

The bit I don't like to see is when people post pictures of awful looking slabs on the forum, and then say that they were effectively told to lump it by CGC's customer service rep, if only as an opening gambit. That's not good. 

until enough customers start talking with their wallets I don't see any of these policies changing. Theodore Roosevelt said it best. :) 

Edited by fett

On 3/27/2022 at 12:07 PM, fett said:

until enough customers start talking with their wallets I don't see any of these policies changing. Theodore Roosevelt said it best. :) 

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

On 3/27/2022 at 2:11 AM, Poekaymon said:

Not sure this is true anymore--or it's luck of the draw in terms of whom you speak to.  I had Newton rings larger than what is pictured here, emailed submissions@cgccomics.com, and the response was that all I could do was pay for a reholder and hope it came out better this time.  Here's the exact quote: "Thank you for your e-mail. There are Newton Rings present in all of our encapsulated books, these are considered normal and acceptable."  Full stop.  I elected not to pay for a reholder.

You just spoke to the wrong person.

I just sent three back this past week. No need to call anyone. Just fill out the online form.

Screenshot 2022-03-27 073313.png

Edited by I like pie