• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings - Any info on what can be done?
3 3

36 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2022 at 5:49 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

The bit I don't like to see is when people post pictures of awful looking slabs on the forum, and then say that they were effectively told to lump it by CGC's customer service rep, if only as an opening gambit. That's not good. 

We have to start putting some blame on the complainee. Some people take "No" for an answer far too easily.

On 3/27/2022 at 1:36 PM, I like pie said:

We have to start putting some blame on the complainee. Some people take "No" for an answer far too easily.

Good point, Pie.

You hear that @Poekaymon? You're rubbish at complaining, mate :)

On 3/27/2022 at 2:11 PM, I like pie said:

I don't believe it. I've tried everything possible.

Remind me, Ill take a pic of how I do it when I get home

You can't use like loose leaf paper, a plastic playing card or business card works well

On 3/27/2022 at 8:37 AM, I like pie said:

The paper trick doesn't work on the current slab design.

It does work, I've done it cutting up a strip of a backing board to stick inside, although more often than not it ends up scuffing the inner surface of the slab and leaving scuff marks. Would probably work better with a different material 

edit: Just to give a few more details, while on the newer slabs I don't think you can stick a strip through the sides as easily, on every newer slab I have I can still pry open the bottom of the slab enough to stick something in

Edited by JC25427N

Unfortunately CGC stated I had to have reported it 2 weeks after I received it.  Well I didn't know collectors would frown on them when I tey to sell them otherwise I would have sent it back.  You would think they would QC it before mailing to me. This is what they wrote me after I sent pics to them. 

"Thank you unfortunately for a free reholder since Newton Rings are a normal occurrence this must be reported to us within 2 weeks of you receiving the submission.

You can submit it for a normal reholder, all fees would apply and there is no guarantee the newton rings will diminish with reholdering as this is a natural occurrence due to the way the way light passes thru plastics with different refractive indexes."

I tried to get a Mylar and paper into the slab  like in the videos I have seen on YouTube but the outer slab won't come apart.  My wife broke two fingernails trying to pull them apart while I tried to get the Mylar or paper thruough it.  If anyone has a current vid of how to pry them apart on the newest slabs that would be great. Thanks.

Does anyone have a timeline on this process ? 
Just today I received two books , one with extensive Newton Rings and one with moderate scuffing . 

Do they open the package and reholder the book relatively quickly? 

On 4/11/2022 at 11:02 AM, jerryco33 said:

Unfortunately CGC stated I had to have reported it 2 weeks after I received it. 

I would speak to someone else. Regardless when you received it or from who, it's CGC's product and they should stand behind the flaw in the case design.

I've never had a problem or was told of this 2 weeks rule.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:46 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

Newton rings don't damage the comic in any way do they?

Just its appearance through the slab.  Which is an odd QC allowance, given the product is basically a display case.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 5/28/2022 at 12:02 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Just its appearance through the slab.  Which is an odd QC allowance, given the product is basically a display case.

It probably falls within the same area as pressing - they couldn't do anything about it, so it's okay.