• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major Quality Control Issues with CGC Slabbing.

40 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2022 at 3:46 PM, Phill the Governor said:

On the contrary, I've had more than half my submissions coming back with inner wells that are so tight, there is now new damage from the stress of inner well of the book/ warping in the case, at the very least :tonofbricks:

Even worse,  other books that I included written notes for, regarding the conservation work I had done, hoping to ensure the correct Conserved labels. And yet, those books were graded UNIVERSAL - unrestored. I literally told CGC "hey, these books were conserved and had this conso work done..." and they still incorrectly graded them as unrestored. Insane. When you're doing work on books, subbing them and they come back Universal, it makes one think "hey, how many other books are in Universal slabs with undisclosed conso or resto work??".

Warping in the case.

This bothers me to no end. Books should be flat in the slab.

I'm finding that most recently slabbed books suffer from this. It just looks horrible.

I just had to crack one and see. It turned out to be the thin, inner well itself that was warped. 

I removed the inner well from the slab and it wouldn't lay flat on the table.

After I took the book out of the inner well...the book did lay flat on the table.

I guess that's a positive but it wasn't in the slab more than a few months. Who knows what happens to the shape of a book if it's in a warped well for 10 years...i guess it'd need a press to be flat again, at least.

(shrug)

On 3/26/2022 at 11:10 AM, The Lions Den said:

This isn't as unusual as you may think.

From the looks of it, they had a temporary shortage of the proper inner wells. So, in cases like this, they sometimes use a larger holder and attach a wedge (a small piece of plastic attached to the interior holder) to secure the book so it doesn't move around. In some cases, they'll actually attach two wedges to keep the book from moving.

I'd agree this isn't as attractive as having the book encased and centered in the proper well, but the book does look like it's pretty secure. 

There have been occasions where I've had certain books reholdered because I wasn't happy with the presentation, and that certainly could be an option in this situation...  hm

Unfortunately, you are correct.  I have an older slab (I purchased the book already slabbed many years ago) that has the same problem.  It looks like :sick:.

FF149_CGC96_Front.thumb.JPG.a1c4b298ccb9527c88030e4a53d3487f.JPG

Edited by Engr62

On 3/31/2022 at 10:59 AM, Engr62 said:

Unfortunately, you are correct.  I have an older slab (I purchased the book already slabbed many years ago) that has the same problem.  It looks like :sick:.

FF149_CGC96_Front.thumb.JPG.a1c4b298ccb9527c88030e4a53d3487f.JPG

Thank you.

As much as I'm happy about being correct about something once in a while, I'm still saddened by the fact that this kind of thing takes place at all. It's just not a good look...  :(

On 3/31/2022 at 12:49 PM, The Lions Den said:

I'm still saddened by the fact that this kind of thing takes place at all. It's just not a good look...  :(

Looks like Cgc hired new staff. Found a potato chip with my invoice. I would have ate the chip if it was a Lays, as there is a shortage of Lays chips across Canada due to jacked up pricing, Covid-flation :canofworms:.

On 4/6/2022 at 11:47 PM, aardvark88 said:

Looks like Cgc hired new staff. Found a potato chip with my invoice. I would have ate the chip if it was a Lays, as there is a shortage of Lays chips across Canada due to jacked up pricing, Covid-flation :canofworms:.

So CGC IS all that and a bag of chips?

I just received a Star Wars #42 back..  The book moves a little inside the holder. I have 10 other books graded by CGC that do not move in the holder. Is this a problem? The movement is slight, but enough that you can hear the book knocking around. Should i have it re-holdered?

thank you,

Erik

sw42.jpg

Edited by Erik Koehler

On 4/7/2022 at 12:47 AM, aardvark88 said:

:facepalm:  

On 4/7/2022 at 4:25 AM, Erik Koehler said:

I just received a Star Wars #42 back..  The book moves a little inside the holder. I have 10 other books graded by CGC that do not move in the holder. Is this a problem? The movement is slight, but enough that you can hear the book knocking around. Should i have it re-holdered?

thank you,

Erik

sw42.jpg

The question I would ask is whether it's just the book that moves or if it's the book and the inner well that move inside the holder. My main concern would be damage to the book itself from excess movement; if it's secured inside the inner well it should be fine... 

On 4/7/2022 at 10:59 AM, The Lions Den said:

The question I would ask is whether it's just the book that moves or if it's the book and the inner well that move inside the holder. My main concern would be damage to the book itself from excess movement; if it's secured inside the inner well it should be fine... 

Thank You!

Upon closer examination I see that the book and inner well are moving. I never looked closely at the inner workings of the case before. I wonder when trying to sell this book if someone might say, it's not suppose to do that. I wanted to list it on E-Bay

Erik

Edited by Erik Koehler

On 4/7/2022 at 5:22 PM, Erik Koehler said:

Thank You!

Upon closer examination I see that the book and inner well are moving. I never looked closely at the inner workings of the case before. I wonder when trying to sell this book if someone might say, it's not suppose to do that. I wanted to list it on E-Bay

Erik

It's not uncommon to have this happen---it shouldn't be a problem, but some folks may not feel the same way about it...  hm

On 4/7/2022 at 2:22 PM, Erik Koehler said:

Thank You!

Erik

Great book.  I would get it reholdered.  I hate it when the inner well is loose.  

Edited by FFB

On 3/26/2022 at 10:06 AM, eWolverine said:

I've received several books back recently that have had very noticeable scratches and scuffs on the face of the slabs. Even worse, one of my most prized comics came back slabbed in a magazine tray and the book was shoved to one side of the slab (way off center - see photo). That's the equivalent of framing a piece of art with an uneven or off center border (looks horrible). Does anyone at CGC look at the books before they are sent to customers? There appears to be no QC process. CGC, please get it together - you're losing credibility as the most trusted grader of high value comics very rapidly.

Hulk.jpg

Hello, Well I had a copy of Black Terror #3 CGC 5.0 that was put into a slab rather harshly and done poorly which made it get crimped over time..... It is now a CGC 4.0. The case they used was damaging the book so them fixing the case issue they detached the cover and split the spine which made it drop a whole grade point. Well done CGC and CCS. 

IMG_20220728_094134_370.jpg

IMG_20220728_094130_212.jpg

IMG_20220728_094126_738.jpg

Screenshot_20220727-191256_Instagram.jpg

IMG_20220728_094121_823.jpg

20220718_090940.jpg

Just received a slab today with a crooked yellow label!  Should I send for reslab?  Is there a way to tap that down a bit on one side?  I tried tapping the top it didn't move much.  Really disappointing overall.  Thanks for any suggestions. 

IMG_4271.thumb.jpg.c79cab0e684d6055064be810141184d5.jpg

On 7/30/2022 at 2:14 PM, sandman585 said:

Should I send for reslab?

If you send it in for a ReHolder you may lose your 9.8; you might also gain scuffs, cracks, etc. Given the problems people have been showing here, it looks like you made out pretty well.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/30/2022 at 10:06 PM, KirbyTown said:

If you send it in for a ReHolder you may lose your 9.8; you might also gain scuffs, cracks, etc. Given the problems people have been showing here, it looks like you made out pretty well.

This whole statement is 100% true. It's also very sad that it's 100% true.

On 7/30/2022 at 12:14 PM, sandman585 said:

Just received a slab today with a crooked yellow label!  Should I send for reslab?  Is there a way to tap that down a bit on one side?  I tried tapping the top it didn't move much.  Really disappointing overall.  Thanks for any suggestions. 

IMG_4271.thumb.jpg.c79cab0e684d6055064be810141184d5.jpg

Pure slop. This laziness needs to stop