• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Spawn just destine to be mediocre collector forever?
4 4

68 posts in this topic

The original series is still going having passed 300 issues and it has all the hallmarks of collectability that one would expect to find in such a long-running series with people paying up for the various first appearances, newsstands, variants, 2nd prints, cover art, low printings, error printings, writer/artists runs, etc. Hell, it has a healthier secondary market than any number of 100 plus issues series from DC and Marvel. 

Seems like the market correction already took place considering 5 years ago nobody cared about the series outside of Malibu Sun 13, Rust 1, and Black and White. 

On 3/27/2022 at 3:58 PM, Sold! said:

FTFY

I know it's hard for people with rose colored classes to objectively re-read silver and bronze books, but they are BAD.  Not all, obviously.  When a panel is 50% exposition, you're not making good comics.  

Don't get me wrong - I love em, too.  But they're not winning any awards.  

Also, just as an aside - Modern comics are leaps and bounds better than old comics from a technical perspective.  It's night and day.  But those early stories are literally the bedrock from which all others have to measure up.  And with the way nostalgia works, there's a large portion of comics readers that will never give moderns a chance or just dismiss them for the sake of being "modern."  It's the same with music.  If someone ever tells you music isn't as good now as it was in X decade, there's a VERY good chance their opinion on music isn't worth listening to. 

That being said, my favorite quote about that is, "Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it." 

Edited by Beastfeast

On 3/27/2022 at 1:50 PM, Beastfeast said:

Also, just as an aside - Modern comics are leaps and bounds better than old comics from a technical perspective.  It's night and day.  But those early stories are literally the bedrock from which all others have to measure up.  And with the way nostalgia works, there's a large portion of comics readers that will never give moderns a chance or just dismiss them for the sake of being "modern."  It's the same with music.  If someone ever tells you music isn't as good now as it was in X decade, there's a VERY good chance their opinion on music isn't worth listening to. 

That being said, my favorite quote about that is, "Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it." 

Corporate rock really does suck

But I agree with what you said, although I stay away from moderns because it IS mediocrity 

A very undervalued but collectible series.  Any series that's run for many years has fans and will have value in the future.  Copies after issue 100 are fairly tough to get and some of the issues in the 200's have great homage covers and value and will likely be worth more in the future.

On 3/27/2022 at 5:05 PM, Sold! said:

I like how you skipped right to Silver Age lol The best writers did start after the 70s. Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, Peter David, Mark Millar, Frank Miller, Jim Starlin, Neil Gaiman, Geoff Johns.... oh I could go on and on...

Oh, you're totally right.  Those people are killers.  But you can imagine each generation having their, "moderns are trash" people who would never have read them.  

On 3/26/2022 at 11:23 PM, KCode98 said:

1992...Too McFarlane...Seems like it has the ingredients to be successful. Why isn't this series more collectible? Will it ever see success with value?

This doesn't map to the current collectability of the series. It is only rivaled by past sales of the Walking Dead among all Image comics...

I think we're all stumped as to what the indications you are referring to might be...

Last time I checked a Spawn #1 newsstand is going for about $800 - $1000.

The Spawn series has some of the hardest books to find and a lot of collectors looking for them (anybody find a newsstand copy of the book in my sig hit me up).

For a non-Marvel/DC book it's doing pretty good in terms of longevity and collectability.

***Or wait for a decent Spawn movie and watch the price explode :baiting:

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Spelling

On 3/27/2022 at 4:45 PM, Beastfeast said:

I know it's hard for people with rose colored classes to objectively re-read silver and bronze books, but they are BAD.  Not all, obviously.  When a panel is 50% exposition, you're not making good comics.  

Don't get me wrong - I love em, too.  But they're not winning any awards.  

I’ve been saying this for years. 

Good luck finding anyone to buy golden and silver age comics when the generations that read them fade away. 

Nearly all GA, SA, and BA books are unreadable. Even Chris Claremont’s run on X-Men, outside of Days of Future Past, is really bad. 

There are a few serious gems that successfully hold true timeless value in the 80s that I can actually still read. Most notably is Dark Knight Returns and Batman Year One. The pickings are slim though. 

On 3/28/2022 at 8:38 PM, D2 said:

Good luck finding anyone to buy golden and silver age comics when the generations that read them fade away. 

Nearly all GA, SA, and BA books are unreadable. Even Chris Claremont’s run on X-Men, outside of Days of Future Past, is really bad. 

There are a few serious gems that successfully hold true timeless value in the 80s that I can actually still read. Most notably is Dark Knight Returns and Batman Year One. The pickings are slim though. 

I dunno abt that. I still enjoy xmen esp 100 odd to 275. People don't really buy for stories . Some do for nostalgia but don't tell me detective 27 has riveting stories.  It's what they represent.  So long they hold $$$$$ value, demand will always be there. 

On 3/28/2022 at 7:38 AM, D2 said:

Have you seen Casablanca?  Considered one of the greatest movie of all time but if you watch it today the acting is actually pretty bad.

My point...not a fair comparison when we compare historical events/items/etc. and base it on the current standard.  There are some stories/topics now that could not be addressed back then.  In addition, comics now are expanded to a different age group.

I don't disagree with the statement but we are saying apples are better than oranges.

***Look at the ads in comics...even those were cheesy compared to now

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Spelling

On 3/28/2022 at 9:06 AM, Grendel72 said:

I dunno abt that. I still enjoy xmen esp 100 odd to 275. People don't really buy for stories . Some do for nostalgia but don't tell me detective 27 has riveting stories.  It's what they represent.  So long they hold $$$$$ value, demand will always be there. 

To each their own. I am not trying to hack up something you enjoy and if you do enjoy it, that's amazing. A lot of people love watching the 2012 The Avengers movie... where I find it silly and campy.
I do agree with your point, which was, my overarching point. There are very very very veeeery few works, in any medium, that stand the test of time.

It is what they represent. I just think that they represent more to some than others. 

On 3/28/2022 at 9:29 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Have you seen Casablanca?  Considered one of the greatest movie of all time but if you watch it today the acting is actually pretty bad.

My point...not a fair comparison when we compare historical events/items/etc. and base it on the current standard.  There are some stories/topics now that could not be addressed back then.  In addition, comics now are expanded to a different age group.

I don't disagree with the statement but we are saying apples are better than oranges.

***Look at the ads in comics...even those were cheesy compared to now

Oh my lord Casablanca is terrible. I even watched 1989 Batman a few months ago, and it is not cinematic perfection that I hold it to be.

I know what you mean, it's the moment in time they were created.

I guess my feeling is that, outside of those that enjoyed it, in the time that it was created, it's difficult for anyone, in any medium, to enjoy something when it's taken out of its zeitgeist. 
I loved Spawn as a kid. I thought Spawn from issue 1 to 50 was top peak comic book entertainment. Now if I had to cherry pick issues, there are probably 10 issues in there that are worthy of a reread?

That would be my final point on topic to OP, is that the only people that will buy and collect back issues of Spawn, will inevitably be those that read it growing up. Luckily for OP, #1 sold millions of copies. Not sure how many people read it though.