• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Spawn just destine to be mediocre collector forever?
4 4

68 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2022 at 10:34 PM, darkstar said:

I'm not angry about anything, why does everyone suggest this when I attempt to have a discussion on this forum?

hm

and see above… so you didn’t think I was being dismissive at all. 

Edited by D2

On 3/28/2022 at 9:17 PM, The Meta said:

Meh, so long as its not considered a pump and dump, youre fine lol

On 3/28/2022 at 9:24 PM, D2 said:

Yes that’s true. There are definitely certain rules people can use to skirt the line 

This exchange right here is the spider-man pointing at spider-man meme in the written form.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:42 PM, darkstar said:

This exchange right here is the spider-man pointing at spider-man meme in the written form.

I KNEW you were a fan

On 3/28/2022 at 9:30 PM, D2 said:

Where it seems to me that you believe fine art to be Van Gogh, or Monet… a painting of insane value.

Where would you get the idea that I believe a requirement of fine art is for it to have insane value? I'm here making the argument that GA books can be fine art most of which don't even flirt with insane values.

On 3/28/2022 at 9:30 PM, D2 said:

I am trying to outline how fine art is littered throughout homes, which isn’t niche at all. To the point where art is literally in peoples’ bathrooms. 

The commercialization and proliferation of a piece of art isn't something that defines or disqualifies something from being considered fine art. 

On 3/28/2022 at 10:49 PM, darkstar said:

Where would you get the idea that I believe a requirement of fine art is for it to have insane value? I'm here making the argument that GA books can be fine art most of which don't even flirt with insane values.

The commercialization and proliferation of a piece of art isn't something that defines or disqualifies something from being considered fine art. 

Let’s do an exercise. What percentage of homes do you believe have a print, original art, or otherwise, hanging in their home of comic art. 

Now tell me what percentage of homes have some generic or very popular print, painting, or otherwise of some artist, hanging in their homes.

I understand your point, but what you are saying is everyone should be interested in landscape paintings, versus, let’s say, portraits. Maybe I prefer portraits. 

I’m not saying I don’t like comic art, but I am saying it’s much less accepted universally than say, fine art. Comic art is applied art, not fine art. There is a fundamental difference. 

On 3/28/2022 at 11:42 PM, D2 said:

I’m not saying I don’t like comic art, but I am saying it’s much less accepted universally than say, fine art. Comic art is applied art, not fine art. There is a fundamental difference. 

This cannot be argued. 

On 3/28/2022 at 10:42 PM, D2 said:

Let’s do an exercise. What percentage of homes do you believe have a print, original art, or otherwise, hanging in their home of comic art. 

Now tell me what percentage of homes have some generic or very popular print, painting, or otherwise of some artist, hanging in their homes.

I understand your point, but what you are saying is everyone should be interested in landscape paintings, versus, let’s say, portraits. Maybe I prefer portraits. 

You should get a refund on that degree. 

On 3/29/2022 at 11:32 AM, darkstar said:

It is also irrelevant in the determination of value and whether a market for it exists or not. 

Yeah but it isn’t though. Thanks for coming out. You are yet again, a statistic. 

Even when someone gives you very clear and concise points, you still dig in to your point of view and continue to insult. 

here is some light reading for you. Spoiler, you qualify for all 4 points:

You Internet Argue

On 3/29/2022 at 12:22 PM, CGC Mike said:

@D2 and @darkstar You both need to stop this, or I will have to ban you both from the topic and/or issue warnings.  

Sorry Mike

I was genuinely trying to debate and not create conflict. 

I will stop with this thread

On 3/29/2022 at 11:32 AM, darkstar said:

It is also irrelevant in the determination of value and whether a market for it exists or not. 

No, it most definitely isn't irrelevant in determining the value! In fact it is a major contributing factor in determining the value and whether a market for it exists and to what degree.

On 3/29/2022 at 4:31 PM, KCode98 said:

No, it most definitely isn't irrelevant in determining the value! In fact it is a major contributing factor in determining the value and whether a market for it exists and to what degree.

Universal acceptance does not determine value. Something not being universally accepted doesn't disqualify it from being valued on the secondary market. Plenty of fine art is niche. Plenty of fine art is obscure. These things do not prevent less acknowledged fine art from selling for lots of money. 

On 3/29/2022 at 5:47 PM, darkstar said:

Universal acceptance does not determine value. Something not being universally accepted doesn't disqualify it from being valued on the secondary market. Plenty of fine art is niche. Plenty of fine art is obscure. These things do not prevent less acknowledged fine art from selling for lots of money. 

I understand that some people wish to argue just to argue, but that isn't me. If you like putting comics on the wall as art I won't say a word about it. But that doesn't change the fact that 99.99999993% of the population would choose only 1 of the bottom two "art" to put on the wall of their house. And that is what determines value.

833f9e2abbecfd08ac86f323eeb09dd8.jpg

Wrong1.jpg

On 3/29/2022 at 5:05 PM, KCode98 said:

But that doesn't change the fact that 99.99999993% of the population would choose only 1 of the bottom two "art" to put on the wall of their house. And that is what determines value.

Except it doesn't and never will. And the GA market will still be thriving long after the original owners of those books are dead and gone. 

lol are we still talking about Spawn in this thread? I started buying Spawn in 1995 and managed to back fill a good number of the early issues. I cut the cord at issue 162 (2006) so did manage to get some of the key issues from 100 and up. The series had honestly run it's course for me at that point and I lost interest in the book. I wish I had hung on a bit longer though...

I just started reading the series again and am going to give it a full year before I cut it off again. Not overly impressed with the current storyline and it seems to find it's way to the bottom of my reading pile which is a key indicator that I'm not impressed. 

On 3/26/2022 at 8:23 PM, KCode98 said:

1992...Too McFarlane...Seems like it has the ingredients to be successful. Why isn't this series more collectible? Will it ever see success with value?

naw