• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Canon Star Wars

12 posts in this topic

Any current Star Wars comics not titled High Republic, and is put out by Marvel, is canon and takes place between ESB and RoTJ. 

Doctor Aphra is not an OT character, but does feature appearances by OT characters and takes place during the OT. Bounty Hunters features some lesser known OT characters as well as new characters but also takes place during the OT. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

The IDW High Republic comics were canon, but obviously not OT. However, they do feature Yoda. 

Dark Horse recently got the license from IDW, but I’m not sure if it will put out High Republic-era books only or if it will be a mix of OT and High Republic. 

On 3/28/2022 at 9:26 AM, STLSPIDEY said:

Would you happen to know in which order they came from first up to now? Thanks.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I understand the question. Do you mean canon order?

There have recently been two crossover events and there will be another this summer. The first - War of the Bounty Hunters - had its own dedicated mini-series but also crossed over all ongoing Star Wars titles (Star Wars, Darth Vader, Bounty Hunters, Doctor Aphra) and also had a few one shots. This event took place soon after Han was frozen in carbonite and deals with someone stealing Han from Boba Fett. 

War of the Bounty Hunters Reading Order

The second event, which is currently taking place - Crimson Reign - deals with the fallout of War of the Bounty Hunters and mostly deals with a non-rebel plot to overthrow the Empire. Without spoiling the events of War of the Bounty Hunters, that's really all I'd say at this point. 

Crimson Reign Reading Order

The third event - Hidden Empire - will follow Crimson Reign, but I am not sure exactly what it will be about. My best guess is that it will take place right before, and maybe during, RoTJ to set up for the events happening in Mandalorian and leading into the sequel trilogies. 

I do want to correct my previous statement. Star Wars: Han Solo and Chewbacca is a current mini-series and obviously features OT characters, but unlike the ongoing titles, it does not take place between ESB and RoTJ. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 3/28/2022 at 9:16 AM, awakeintheashes said:

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I understand the question. Do you mean canon order?

There have recently been two crossover events and there will be another this summer. The first - War of the Bounty Hunters - had its own dedicated mini-series but also crossed over all ongoing Star Wars titles (Star Wars, Darth Vader, Bounty Hunters, Doctor Aphra) and also had a few one shots. This event took place soon after Han was frozen in carbonite and deals with someone stealing Han from Boba Fett. 

War of the Bounty Hunters Reading Order

The second event, which is currently taking place - Crimson Reign - deals with the fallout of War of the Bounty Hunters and mostly deals with a non-rebel plot to overthrow the Empire. Without spoiling the events of War of the Bounty Hunters, that's really all I'd say at this point. 

Crimson Reign Reading Order

The third event - Hidden Empire - will follow Crimson Reign, but I am not sure exactly what it will be about. My best guess is that it will take place right before, and maybe during, RoTJ to set up for the events happening in Mandalorian and leading into the sequel trilogies. 

I do want to correct my previous statement. Star Wars: Han Solo and Chewbacca is a current mini-series and obviously features OT characters, but unlike the ongoing titles, it does not take place between ESB and RoTJ. 

Thanks. How many tpb's are there for the main Star Wars series?

On 3/28/2022 at 5:27 PM, STLSPIDEY said:

Thanks. How many tpb's are there for the main Star Wars series?

No problem. So far, there have been two main Star Wars runs. One ran from 2015-2020, which had 13 TPBs published. The current Star Wars run started in 2020 and is still going. To date, there have been 3 TPBs for this most recent volume (1-6, 7-11, 12-18)

On 3/28/2022 at 5:52 PM, STLSPIDEY said:

Do you mean the Heros,Villians,and companion books?

No. Sorry for the confusion. 

Star Wars (2015-2020) ran from issue #1-75

Star Wars (2020-current) is currently on issue #21

Both of these series are canon, take place during the OT, and feature the OT characters. 

There have also been multiple Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra series dating back to when Marvel started publishing Star Wars comics again. All of them also take place during the OT era and feature OT characters. 

On 3/28/2022 at 5:01 PM, awakeintheashes said:

No. Sorry for the confusion. 

Star Wars (2015-2020) ran from issue #1-75

Star Wars (2020-current) is currently on issue #21

Both of these series are canon, take place during the OT, and feature the OT characters. 

There have also been multiple Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra series dating back to when Marvel started publishing Star Wars comics again. All of them also take place during the OT era and feature OT characters. 

Can you post a link to the ptb's in the 2015-2020 run please? 

On 3/28/2022 at 6:46 PM, STLSPIDEY said:

Can you post a link to the ptb's in the 2015-2020 run please? 

This page features links to each issue, TPB, Hardcover, and Omnibus from the 2015 series. 

Star Wars (Marvel Comics 2015) - Wookiepedia