• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

investing right now
7 7

195 posts in this topic

So just to try and pre empt the usual smart “I buy what I like NOT to invest” replies, let me just say I’ve been collecting comics since the late 80’s and have approx. 10k in my collection. These are for my own enjoyment, and I accept they are mostly worth their weight in scrap paper, that’s not why I own them. I have however bought a number of comics over the years purely for investment and a future pension. I own about 15 comics in this category, AF15, Hulk1 , FF1 etc. Most of these have gone up a lot of the years and have been a very good investment. Ive spent about $40k and they are currently worth about $200k.  I’ve been left with a few non movers like B&B28 and batman 608 retailer, but on the whole I’m happy and none are worth less than I paid. I have a few thousand to invest on a new one now, and with the market experiencing an explosion that’s hard as everything is highly priced right now. I always think when you buy to invest get a solid key main character 1st appearance and in an ideal world with them on the cover. With that in mind I’m torn between Marvel spotlight 5 and ultimate fallout 4 (maybe the Djordjevic variant). Again, no disrespect but I’m really not Interested the buy what you like comments they are pointless white noise, but what do people think in terms of what each will be worth in a decade? Both have room for scope. I think MS5 is safer but will have less return, UFO much more return potential but risker, that said open to views?

I have a response, but it's for people who buy to enjoy, not to primarily invest, nor to speak down to me. 

Get more flies with honey,etc........

On 3/29/2022 at 1:26 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I have a response, but it's for people who buy to enjoy, not to primarily invest, nor to speak down to me. 

Get more flies with honey,etc........

You obviously didnt read my statement about buying comics for over 30 years for my own enjoyment only and have over 10k of them. There is nothing wrong at looking at how you will fund your retirement using a tiny, tiny % of the  comics you own through the hobby you love. Still I appreciate there are a hard core group of collectors who want to view the hobby as a closed dictatorship where only they should be allowed to set the rules or say what people can and cant talk about

It's interesting that you haven't gotten a good return on B&B 28.  It had a good run up from around 2006-2014.  So unless you bought in 2014 it has done well for you.  In that respect both of the comics you mentioned have had a significant run up over the last 6-8 years and I would think would be closer to B&B 28 performance (since 2014) over the next 6-8.

In addition to the standard SA keys you mentioned above (e.g. AF15), I have been getting VF or better copies of Bronze Age Marvel Keys such as She Hulk, Nova, HFH, MP15, MS5, GSX1, IH181, etc.  I sold my copy of WWBN 32 and while I don't necessarily regret it, I wish that I held it a little longer.  

I know these are all boring choices, but think you would do well with them.

You can also go the Modern route: UF4, BA12, Thor 337, NM98, etc.  Again, these are boring picks but you should do well with them.

Cheers,

John

On 3/29/2022 at 8:17 AM, Casey Ryback said:

So just to try and pre empt the usual smart “I buy what I like NOT to invest” replies, let me just say I’ve been collecting comics since the late 80’s and have approx. 10k in my collection. These are for my own enjoyment, and I accept they are mostly worth their weight in scrap paper, that’s not why I own them. I have however bought a number of comics over the years purely for investment and a future pension. I own about 15 comics in this category, AF15, Hulk1 , FF1 etc. Most of these have gone up a lot of the years and have been a very good investment. Ive spent about $40k and they are currently worth about $200k.  I’ve been left with a few non movers like B&B28 and batman 608 retailer, but on the whole I’m happy and none are worth less than I paid. I have a few thousand to invest on a new one now, and with the market experiencing an explosion that’s hard as everything is highly priced right now. I always think when you buy to invest get a solid key main character 1st appearance and in an ideal world with them on the cover. With that in mind I’m torn between Marvel spotlight 5 and ultimate fallout 4 (maybe the Djordjevic variant). Again, no disrespect but I’m really not Interested the buy what you like comments they are pointless white noise, but what do people think in terms of what each will be worth in a decade? Both have room for scope. I think MS5 is safer but will have less return, UFO much more return potential but risker, that said open to views?

Get a newsstand UF 4 if you can find one.2c

On 3/29/2022 at 7:37 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

ASM 129

I'm not sure on this one. It seems Marvel's strategy with Frank is to flush him down the toilet.

If what the current run of The Punisher does continues, it might destroy the character completely. 

On 3/29/2022 at 5:53 AM, Casey Ryback said:

You obviously didnt read my statement about buying comics for over 30 years for my own enjoyment only and have over 10k of them. There is nothing wrong at looking at how you will fund your retirement using a tiny, tiny % of the  comics you own through the hobby you love. Still I appreciate there are a hard core group of collectors who want to view the hobby as a closed dictatorship where only they should be allowed to set the rules or say what people can and cant talk about

static-glitch.gif