• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

investing right now
7 7

195 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2022 at 2:22 PM, thunsicker said:

It's interesting that you haven't gotten a good return on B&B 28. It had a good run up from around 2006-2014. So unless you bought in 2014 it has done well for you. In that respect both of the comics you mentioned have had a significant run up over the last 6-8 years and I would think would be closer to B&B 28 performance (since 2014) over the next 6-8.

I cant remember the exact time I bought BB28, but it was around the time of the 1st Snyder Superman going in to production. I bought it at CGC 8. It climbed steadily, went up a good amount when Justice was announced then the price bombed when the film turned out to be lemon. Its gone back up a little since but against my Marvels its been quite poor. I know Im meant to hang my head in shame if I mention I buy the odd one every few years when I have savings to make money on in my older years, but obviously its these things you need to look at if youre brave enough to put your head over the trenches and risk taking the bullets of the "purists"  . Think youre right, Im 49 so by the time I plan to cash these in around 15 years from now they will hopefully have risen quite a bit

Edited by Casey Ryback

I've been picking up some additional shares of GOOG between 2500 and 2550 over the last 5 weeks or so.  I think that ship has sailed, but with the 20-1 split coming up in July there's going to be a lot of generally positive "feel" to the stock in coming months.  If you don't have any AAPL, you could layer some in here (although it's up 11 straight days so the opportunity to catch the low has passed) because I think that's also going higher in the long run.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:54 AM, Casey Ryback said:
On 3/29/2022 at 8:22 AM, thunsicker said:

It's interesting that you haven't gotten a good return on B&B 28. It had a good run up from around 2006-2014. So unless you bought in 2014 it has done well for you. In that respect both of the comics you mentioned have had a significant run up over the last 6-8 years and I would think would be closer to B&B 28 performance (since 2014) over the next 6-8.

I cant remember the exact time I bought BB28, but it was around the time of the 1st Snyder Superman going in to production. I bought it at 8. It climbed steadily, went up a good amount when Justice was announced then the price bombed when the film turned out to be lemon. Its gone back up a little since but my Marvels its been quite poor. I know Im meant to hang my head in shame if I mention I buy the odd one every few years when I have savings to make money on in my older years, but obviously its these things you need to look at if youre brave enough to put your head over the trenches and risk taking the bullets of the "purists"  . Think youre right, Im 49 so by the time I plan to cash these in around 15 years from now they will hopefully have risen quite a bit

My point was not to make you ashamed for your purchase.  My point was to say I don't like buying into a comic that has quadrupled over the last 4 years or so.  I think those are the comics that are least likely to hold/increase their value.  This isn't the stock market where a company can increase share price because their earnings beat expectations and growth looks great.  Comics will always be somewhat exchangeable.  As such I would look at those that haven't had explosive growth over the last few years and bet there.  Showcase 6 as someone mentioned above.  Maybe My Greatest Adventure 80.  Or if you are gun-shy of DC because of B&B 28 look at Tales to Astonish 27 or Daredevil 1.

Buy multiples cheap of any Bronze, Copper, or Modern Age Marvel character that has not yet been announced to join the MCU. ASM 265 comes to mind as an example. I believe your return will be significantly higher with much less risk than buying a Daredevil 1 (just as an example).

It is a tough market to figure out investment choices since many of the bigger keys are sky high right now. I dont have a crystal ball or anything, but I cant see everything sticking at current market prices. 

My personal opinion is a lot of the early Batman keys, particularly GA ones, are solid investments right now. Yes, they are jumping in price but they have been undervalued for a long time so it is more of a market correction than anything. 

On 3/29/2022 at 11:11 AM, Stefan_W said:

It is a tough market to figure out investment choices since many of the bigger keys are sky high right now. I dont have a crystal ball or anything, but I cant see everything sticking at current market prices. 

My personal opinion is a lot of the early Batman keys, particularly GA ones, are solid investments right now. Yes, they are jumping in price but they have been undervalued for a long time so it is more of a market correction than anything. 

Talking about market correction,

there are less than 300 signed Dark Knight Return #1 9.8s

1) any non comic reader knows that book

2) any new comic collector wants to own it

3) 300 copies of the modern grail is not many 

4) this book is only going to go up, and even at $1,800 usd, it’s a steal

Edited by D2

On 3/29/2022 at 4:07 PM, thunsicker said:

My point was not to make you ashamed for your purchase.  My point was to say I don't like buying into a comic that has quadrupled over the last 4 years or so.  I think those are the comics that are least likely to hold/increase their value.  This isn't the stock market where a company can increase share price because their earnings beat expectations and growth looks great.  Comics will always be somewhat exchangeable.  As such I would look at those that haven't had explosive growth over the last few years and bet there.  Showcase 6 as someone mentioned above.  Maybe My Greatest Adventure 80.  Or if you are gun-shy of DC because of B&B 28 look at Tales to Astonish 27 or Daredevil 1.

No I agree. My point was when ever I post this sort of thing 90% of the replies are self righteous comments from people who were probably not born when I started my collection (which is 99% worthless because I bought for me). Even the slightest suggestion that I would want to spend any of my hard earned savings on something that might get me good a return in a few decades is considered something I should be burned at the stake for, which is just pompous ego driven buff. If people want to just spout back the usual nonsense that makes them feel they somehow own what people can and cant do in a free society, then simply keep quiet, your views are not welcome and change no ones opinion.  Youre replies are very helpful and fair and no criticism was aimed at you in any way

On 3/29/2022 at 11:10 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Buy multiples cheap of any Bronze, Copper, or Modern Age Marvel character that has not yet been announced to join the MCU. ASM 265 comes to mind as an example. I believe your return will be significantly higher with much less risk than buying a Daredevil 1 (just as an example).

I like the potential of ASM 265. Of course, by the time I sell a copy it will be worth 2c. (shrug)

On 3/29/2022 at 7:17 AM, Casey Ryback said:

So just to try and pre empt the usual smart “I buy what I like NOT to invest” replies, let me just say I’ve been collecting comics since the late 80’s and have approx. 10k in my collection. These are for my own enjoyment, and I accept they are mostly worth their weight in scrap paper, that’s not why I own them. I have however bought a number of comics over the years purely for investment and a future pension. I own about 15 comics in this category, AF15, Hulk1 , FF1 etc. Most of these have gone up a lot of the years and have been a very good investment. Ive spent about $40k and they are currently worth about $200k.  I’ve been left with a few non movers like B&B28 and batman 608 retailer, but on the whole I’m happy and none are worth less than I paid. I have a few thousand to invest on a new one now, and with the market experiencing an explosion that’s hard as everything is highly priced right now. I always think when you buy to invest get a solid key main character 1st appearance and in an ideal world with them on the cover. With that in mind I’m torn between Marvel spotlight 5 and ultimate fallout 4 (maybe the Djordjevic variant). Again, no disrespect but I’m really not Interested the buy what you like comments they are pointless white noise, but what do people think in terms of what each will be worth in a decade? Both have room for scope. I think MS5 is safer but will have less return, UFO much more return potential but risker, that said open to views?

I'm doing the same as you.  I've got a bunch of comics that are only worth keeping me warm throwing them in the fireplace but I enjoy them.  I have some for investment. 

I would like to get a Hulk 181 before it goes out of sight.  I sold mine 20 years ago and now I want another one but not there yet on the $$$ to get one in decent shape.   A 9.9 will only do.   Sigh! one of these days I'll get one.
I guess the best bet like others have pointed out is buy a book that hasn't exploded yet...a sleeper waiting on that next TV/Movie announcement I guess.  
Good luck finding that book(s) that will rise in value for you. 

On 3/29/2022 at 3:00 PM, SuperBird said:

I'd consider Fantastic Four 49: 1st full appearance of Galactus, and thier 1st cover, which matters more and more these days. 

Interesting choice. I have 48 in 9 (very generous 9 I have to say) I picked up for very little about 15 years ago thats part of my "pension comics".  I think 49 is a great cover and will only increase when FF are established with MCU. Surfers 99.9% in the upcoming film so how can they not include Galactus if hes there? 

On 3/29/2022 at 3:43 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Get a newsstand UF 4 if you can find one.2c

I drawn to that, but its the gamble on such a modern comic thats getting silly so soon. I know in 15 years Miles will probably trip off the tongue in the same way Peter does now but seriously thats a lot. Tempted to spin the wheel though

On 3/29/2022 at 10:53 AM, D84 said:

I'm not sure on this one. It seems Marvel's strategy with Frank is to flush him down the toilet.

If what the current run of The Punisher does continues, it might destroy the character completely. 

I don’t think so.  Folks said the same thing about Zombie punisher and even that didn’t kill the demand for ASM 129

On 3/29/2022 at 3:43 PM, D2 said:

Hulk 181. 
I posted the same question in the Bronze Age forum and this was my response. 
Across the board! 
I wasn’t even interested in 181, I was asking about Giant-Size X-Men 1, and still…

every single person

said to get 181

Never get how a comic with so many copies out there continues to rise (yes I know what it represents). One of my big regrets. Had the chance for an early 9 point something with 4 sigs on in yellow, Lee, Wein and Trimpe. Cant remember the 4th. Passed on it as just couldnt see the return and thats what I was buying it for. Dont know how mnay years ago but only about $1200 and that wasnt a bargain so must have been a while. My own comics are from about 86 onwards so mainly tat, the 1 in 500 I buy for investment have to be considered purchases and I made a wrong one there.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:43 AM, Casey Ryback said:

Never get how a comic with so many copies out there continues to rise (yes I know what it represents). One of my big regrets. Had the chance for an early 9 point something with 4 sigs on in yellow, Lee, Wein and Trimpe. Cant remember the 4th. Passed on it as just couldnt see the return and thats what I was buying it for. Dont know how mnay years ago but only about $1200 and that wasnt a bargain so must have been a while. My own comics are from about 86 onwards so mainly tat, the 1 in 500 I buy for investment have to be considered purchases and I made a wrong one there.

Same! Same!

I feel the exact same way. 
several years ago I thought about buying a 9.4? I think. It was something around $6-7,000 for a blue label. 
I thought I was out of my mind for even considering it. 
for the same exact reason. How can a book with so many copies be so expensive. 
And I am a huge Wolverine fan. 

still can’t justify it 

On 3/29/2022 at 11:56 AM, D2 said:

Same! Same!

I feel the exact same way. 
several years ago I thought about buying a 9.4? I think. It was something around $6-7,000 for a blue label. 
I thought I was out of my mind for even considering it. 
for the same exact reason. How can a book with so many copies be so expensive. 
And I am a huge Wolverine fan. 

still can’t justify it 

Wolverine is the next Spiderman, bub. Get with the program.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:07 PM, Wolverinex said:

Wolverine is the next Spiderman, bub. Get with the program.

Do you think then, genuinely, that books like Wolverine Limited #1, Marvel Comics Presents #72, and… a good read, Wolverine #66 vol. 3 are going to keep rocketing in value?