• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

investing right now
7 7

195 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2022 at 9:20 PM, Wolverinex said:

DC silver is just hard to find.

I also put Action 242 on my list because I think Brainiac is a cool villain and underutilized. 

Actually added one to my collection over the weekend.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1510874198

Completely agree regarding Brainiac! For the longest time DC believed their only 2 villains were the Joker and Lex Luthor...they need to get some more diversity in their universe on the big screen and that's been happening over the past decade (still too much Joker/Luther for my liking)....it's time for Brainiac and Bizarro...

On 4/5/2022 at 1:23 PM, AGGIEZ said:

Completely agree regarding Brainiac! For the longest time DC believed their only 2 villains were the Joker and Lex Luthor...they need to get some more diversity in their universe on the big screen and that's been happening over the past decade (still too much Joker/Luther for my liking)....it's time for Brainiac and Bizarro...

Yes,  I'm tired of lex Luthor. Time to explore more of the superman mythos

Of the 2 choices, I prefer UF4 over MS5 for potential growth. One character is far more relatable to the average person than the other imo. That said, I wouldn’t see fault in choosing either as MS5 is so tough to get in higher grade relative to UF4.

Having been on the UF4 bandwagon for far longer than I care to mention, there is a great deal of bias in the pick. 

The book that has most caught my attention recently is Batman Beyond 1 retail then the direct version. These books both seem to be growing and don’t seem to be plentiful in 9.8 in spite of their current market value. 

Other than that, you can never go wrong with IH 180 and 181. This character always remains popular and the books are always on demand. Every year you’ll hear that they’ve peaked or are currently overpriced. Most years, that proves to be an incorrect analysis. Wolverine/Logan is the single most blue chip character since Spider-Man/Peter Parker. 

Edited by the authority

I really want to avoid buying anything that is being looked at as a possible movie spec, which mean most silver and bronze age characters have been pretty much covered are sell for higher than I would value them at, the lone exception is it now seems House of Secrets 92 has cooled off and has been decent to pick up more copies (I've been able to find them for much less than GPA, so those prices should only reflect the high end on major auction houses). Even the first Poison Ivy seems like a still decent spec that just screams of becoming something bigger in the future if DC ever get their act together.

Other books, like Morbius or other random side villains, will get spikes here and there, but I'm not confident the fanbase that comes from those movies will be as nostalgic for the comics in the future as we are today so I've little interest to hold such books (I've limited space as it is without having to play a long term guessing game if Sleepwalker will be the next big thing!).

Golden Age hero books is where I'm at. Even if the character does not get a movie appearance (Doctor Fate) then at least there is rarity and growing interest in these antique treasures as they approach 100 years old - at which time I'm sure we will get a better idea of how many are remaining when they come to market from permanent collections (due to older collectors passing on their books or cashing out to pay for retirement living).

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 12/5/2022 at 4:30 PM, BkeKay said:

Hi there! Based on your situation and the information you provided, I think both Marvel Spotlight 5 and Ultimate Fallout 4 are solid choices for investment. Both have the potential for future returns.

Welcome to the boards 🤗

I always liked MS5, it saw a huge explosion in value - not sure how much farther up it will go, but I believe Ghost Rider has potential to be revisited in a big way. Not just movies or shows - I think there’s something coming around the corner for Ghost Rider.

On 4/6/2022 at 8:38 PM, the authority said:

Wolverine/Logan is the single most blue chip character since Spider-Man/Peter Parker. 

I agree with that when focusing on Hulk 180 and 181, and the mini-series is an absolute must-have for any collector, but my dollar bins are filled with other Wolverine titles. People loved to buy up the 1988 series and later series and a very low percentage of those books are worth much more than the cover price now. Conversely, there are scores of Spider-Man books that are worth a lot of money. Granted the Spidey character has been around a lot longer, but I dont see many Wolverine comics competing with the long list of Spidey keys. 

On 12/7/2022 at 9:41 AM, Stefan_W said:

I agree with that when focusing on Hulk 180 and 181, and the mini-series is an absolute must-have for any collector, but my dollar bins are filled with other Wolverine titles. People loved to buy up the 1988 series and later series and a very low percentage of those books are worth much more than the cover price now. Conversely, there are scores of Spider-Man books that are worth a lot of money. Granted the Spidey character has been around a lot longer, but I dont see many Wolverine comics competing with the long list of Spidey keys. 

Just save your money and buy one of these. Got this in a pile recently. Tried to read it but just couldn’t finish it. Still have my read once newstand copy. I only keep it for “investment” potential…

6CA3649B-5AF3-42F1-BDA5-560C88A4C919.jpeg

On 12/7/2022 at 11:41 AM, Stefan_W said:

Before giving a complete response to this, I agree with you that’s why I said since Spidey. 

I’ve had good luck with Wolverine books. Besides the miniseries, from the ongoing run, #1, #8, #10 Vs Sabretooth, #17 for the cover alone, #88, #154 and #155 the Deadpool books, etc. 

In my opinion, Wolverine is the primary reason Giant Size X-men #1 brings the money. While Nightcrawler, Storm, and Colossus are all well loved, I have better luck with Rogue related books than the three of them. Then you have stuff like MCP 72-84, Hulk 340, and the like.

Then there are the X-men books. Wolverine is the key driver of both those series ( Volume 1 and 2  ) at least as far as I can tell. There are many keys there. Starting with Giant Size #1 on up into the high #200s. 

Are the majority of his own series inexpensive ? For sure, but the MCU has been magic for some books that were once 50 cent and dollar bin fodder. Iron Man 100 up used to also lack winners short of 118, 128, 149,150, 282-284, etc. Thor ( 337 ), Fantastic Four 200 and up ( outside of a couple of years of the Byrne run ) didn’t used to carry a lot of winners either. Even the Avengers were cheap fro 200 up which essentially takes place during the same time perios. Now they carry at least more than a few winners . 

Wolverine books will likely experience the same type of thing once the X-men show up. Not today that they will all immediately turn into winners but I project more than a few of them will be. 

In the meantime, I’d never debate Spider-man vs Wolverine. Spider-Man is a more relatable character to the majority of people who read comics imo. I regularly buy both. 

I’m thankful for the $1 bin books. Especially Wolverine, the X-men, The Authority, and a few more. I collect them all. Hope your business is doing well and picks up during Christmas and New Years. 😊

On 3/29/2022 at 7:17 AM, Casey Ryback said:

So just to try and pre empt the usual smart “I buy what I like NOT to invest” replies, let me just say I’ve been collecting comics since the late 80’s and have approx. 10k in my collection. These are for my own enjoyment, and I accept they are mostly worth their weight in scrap paper, that’s not why I own them. I have however bought a number of comics over the years purely for investment and a future pension. I own about 15 comics in this category, AF15, Hulk1 , FF1 etc. Most of these have gone up a lot of the years and have been a very good investment. Ive spent about $40k and they are currently worth about $200k.  I’ve been left with a few non movers like B&B28 and batman 608 retailer, but on the whole I’m happy and none are worth less than I paid. I have a few thousand to invest on a new one now, and with the market experiencing an explosion that’s hard as everything is highly priced right now. I always think when you buy to invest get a solid key main character 1st appearance and in an ideal world with them on the cover. With that in mind I’m torn between Marvel spotlight 5 and ultimate fallout 4 (maybe the Djordjevic variant). Again, no disrespect but I’m really not Interested the buy what you like comments they are pointless white noise, but what do people think in terms of what each will be worth in a decade? Both have room for scope. I think MS5 is safer but will have less return, UFO much more return potential but risker, that said open to views?

One word for you...

CAPITAL GAINS TAXES 

I meant...three words.