• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

investing right now
7 7

195 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2022 at 11:41 AM, Robot Man said:

We are in crazy times right now. Prices need to stabilize a little before I would consider “investing” in them. Very hard to predict the “market” at the moment.

Truth be told, this is where I am.  I have bought exactly 1 'investment' type comic in the last two years.  And even then it was $500, not in the range it seems you are looking.  But given that you seem determined to invest in comics that's why I gave the advice I did about not investing in a comic that just went up 400% in the last three years.  

Prices these days have got me going back and buying comics from my youth/young adulthood instead of the early silver and gold comics that most would call 'investment' comics.  Sienkiewicz Moon Knights and New Mutants.  Miller Daredevils.  Watchmen and Dark Knights.  Perez Teen Titans.  Claremont and Byrne X-Men (though many of them are out of range now).  But again, I know you have most of the stuff that you would collect and are looking for investments, which is why I didn't go this route.

On 3/29/2022 at 6:23 PM, Pontoon said:

So you decided not to sell them after all?

No I did some. I sold AF15 as I have in a grade 5 too, Walking dead 9.8 (felt it had peaked and was going nowhere in next 15 years) and TMNT 1st (big big big mistake) and HS92 (the lowest value one I had and seemed to be stagnant). The ones I was discussing here were about half my collection and needed to sell to fund a house move. The offers I got were silly on the whole, ie sending my comics to another country to someone I didnt know for a big fee. I didnt know heritage had recently opened up a London office to ship comics safely with a 5% sellers fee, so I sold them to a UK dealer for what was a fair price at the time. The ones I have left (some of these plus about another 7 or 8 I didnt want and need to sell) I will sit on for the next 15 years unless one of lifes emergencies come up

On 3/29/2022 at 6:59 PM, thunsicker said:

Truth be told, this is where I am.  I have bought exactly 1 'investment' type comic in the last two years.  And even then it was $500, not in the range it seems you are looking.  But given that you seem determined to invest in comics that's why I gave the advice I did about not investing in a comic that just went up 400% in the last three years.  

Prices these days have got me going back and buying comics from my youth/young adulthood instead of the early silver and gold comics that most would call 'investment' comics.  Sienkiewicz Moon Knights and New Mutants.  Miller Daredevils.  Watchmen and Dark Knights.  Perez Teen Titans.  Claremont and Byrne X-Men (though many of them are out of range now).  But again, I know you have most of the stuff that you would collect and are looking for investments, which is why I didn't go this route.

Im not rich I just have a few thousand dollars generated every year or so that seems boring to put in a savings account so its great to use it to save and grow on something I love. I agree though, Im just finding it harder and harder to find that place in the comic world. Maybe I should play safe and shove it in a bank account, but comics have been kind to me in terms of my investments and find it hard to trun my back on them when I have spare money. To be honest these thoughts are what Ive had for probably the last 6 or 7 years and every year prices have generally gone up so who knows maybe its worth rolling the dice again now

On 3/29/2022 at 11:46 AM, Casey Ryback said:

Any particular key thats affordable you would consider?

Schomburg covers, WW 2 covers, Any Captain America Comics book, Superhero Timleys, Detective comics 1-100,168,225 Joker/Catwoman covers.  Any pre code horror classic cover you can't go wrong on, Most anything before 1945. L.B Cole covers.  All are safe bets, A lot of guys in the thread are trolling you. They don't like comics and investing in the same sentence. 

On 3/29/2022 at 7:19 PM, Kevin76 said:

Schomburg covers, WW 2 covers, Any Captain America Comics book, Superhero Timleys, Detective comics 1-100,168,225 Joker/Catwoman covers.  Any pre code horror classic cover you can't go wrong on, Most anything before 1945. L.B Cole covers.  All are safe bets, A lot of guys in the thread are trolling you. They don't like comics and investing in the same sentence. 

Good advice, like the CA idea. keyboard warriors are always brave brave souls when behind a computer screen. I also think its lucky very few people are born into the position of an autocratic dictator, its obvious thats many unfulfilled people crave to be in their heads

On 3/29/2022 at 2:19 PM, Kevin76 said:

I wouldn't buy anything from this list.

Literally nothing.

On 3/29/2022 at 7:44 PM, D2 said:

I wouldn't buy anything from this list.

Literally nothing.

I do like CA books though, early great covers, but not sure about them as long term investments, its the collector in me that likes them not so much the investor. Obviously the early key ones are out of the question even though they would be safe bets so I do wonder if the last 10 years hasnt dragged the other less important ones up up by much what would?

Edited by Casey Ryback

On 3/29/2022 at 2:50 PM, Casey Ryback said:

I do like CA books though, early great covers, but not sure about them as long term investments, its the collector in me that likes them not so much the investor. Obviously the early key ones are out of the question even though they would be safe bets so I do wonder if the last 10 years hasnt dragged the other less important ones up up by much what would?

Unfortunately, as a collector, I have found there to be 2 types of books. Keys which go up, and non keys which are nice to have. 

I spent 95% of my time and money buying books that I liked.

Then I sold everything and started from scratch. Now I only buy books that I love and I think have the highest probability of going up. Only keys. I hate having a collection of only keys, but I had a collection of mostly non keys and it took me literally 6 years to sell them all. (I decided to sell books individually and not as a bulk sale). The keys are hard enough to move... 

On 3/29/2022 at 11:19 AM, Kevin76 said:

I bought some a month ago at my lcs that got a Golden age collection in.

A low grade Det 14 for under FMV 

A low grade Cap 28 war cover/Schomburg at FMV

A low grade Superman 23 war cover under FMV 

And a low grade Superman 7, not a war cover but it was priced at $300 under FMV and I traded a undercopy X-Men 94 in 4.0 and got $500 trade and now I have a single digit supes. 

And last week I picked up two more copies of TTA 93, a VG and Fn.

They both came into my lcs and they were priced at bargains and I have a cgc 9.2 and a copy in that grade went for $2k recently I thought why not, I'm a bargain basement collector.

Book has potential, classic cover, hulk vs Surfer and the first time the Surfer appeared outside the FF so why not 👍

On 3/29/2022 at 7:58 PM, D2 said:

Unfortunately, as a collector, I have found there to be 2 types of books. Keys which go up, and non keys which are nice to have. 

I spent 95% of my time and money buying books that I liked.

Then I sold everything and started from scratch. Now I only buy books that I love and I think have the highest probability of going up. Only keys. I hate having a collection of only keys, but I had a collection of mostly non keys and it took me literally 6 years to sell them all. (I decided to sell books individually and not as a bulk sale). The keys are hard enough to move... 

Yes my long term plan is sell my 15 odd expensive keys with Heritage who always seem to get fair market hammer prices and will only take 5% off the seller, and sell in bulk or even gift the other 10k I bought for me to whoever wants them. 

BTW it is very difficult to understand what type of books you're looking for because we don't know your investment horizon or your risk tolerance.

That being said, the overwhelming majority of the books that have been posted in this thread have already had significant price appreciation and are selling at historic highs. As a collector Golden Age Captain America books are cool AF. As an investor? No way. You're going to need to find buyers for these books at some point and the books that have been given to you - Schomburg covers? Green Lantern 7? Woodgod (yes I know this is a joke)? - will have no legs.

If you're going to invest in comics you should either look for severely undervalued stuff (gamble on pre-MCU Marvel firsts) OR the bluest of blue chip books. Buy the highest raw copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 you can find for your money with a restoration guarantee. Get it slabbed.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, thunsicker said:

$500. for a comic book is an investment for me at this point in my life and collecting hobby. Sadly, the books I’d like to still own far exceed that. I’ve come to grips with it. I have lowered my standards accordingly so I can still enjoy the hobby. I am also very lucky to be the age I am and have bought so much when I could. I never bought comics as an “investment”. I bought what I liked and could afford. It has apparently turned out great for me. 

If I only bought comics I like, I'd end up with a bunch of Mcfarlane and Jim lee books from the early 90s only to be stuck with a bunch of over printed books no one wanted but me when it comes time to sell.  Seems like a lot of guys here prefer it that way and are trying to have others think the same way they do

Edited by Kevin76

On 3/29/2022 at 4:50 PM, Kevin76 said:

If I only bought comics I like, I'd end up with a bunch of Mcfarlane and Jim lee books from the early 90s only to be stuck with a bunch of over printed books no one wanted but me when it comes time to sell.  Seems like a lot of guys here prefer it that way and are trying to have others think the same way they do

Maybe.

For the record, I own zero McFarlane and Jim Lee comic books. Zero.

And I have 1 comic from the 90s: BWS' Weapon X, MCP 72, CGC 9.8 SS signed Stan Lee and Herb Trimpe.

Just thought it would be good to clarify as people enjoy putting others in a box

image.png.109e46c7ddb541ee0747f13ee285113a.png

On 3/29/2022 at 3:08 PM, D2 said:

Maybe.

For the record, I own zero McFarlane and Jim Lee comic books. Zero.

And I have 1 comic from the 90s: BWS' Weapon X, MCP 72, CGC 9.8 SS signed Stan Lee and Herb Trimpe.

Just thought it would be good to clarify as people enjoy putting others in a box

image.png.109e46c7ddb541ee0747f13ee285113a.png

I was thinking if I had any comics from the 90's.  I have a Batman Adventures 12 and a New Mutants 98.  Otherwise, I have nada....