• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

investing right now
7 7

195 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2022 at 11:23 AM, Casey Ryback said:

Again just pinpoint the bit where 3 years ago I said I had 5k book. Seriously no hurry, no hurry at all

Any of this ring a bell?

So I thought I would get peoples view on the issue I have with buying an investment comic First of all I have over 5k comics in my collection and have been collecting for over 25 years, so I’m not just in it for the money (just to try and stop an potential abuse). Secondly this is aimed at people who have views on future investment values (just to try and stop the “I collect what I like and don’t worry” repliers)

Once every few years I splash out and buy a key comic at a reasonable price specifically aimed at the future value as part of my investments pot, anywhere between $1k and $10k. Because of my choices and the prices increases seen in the last decade or so I’ve been fortunate enough to bank quite a bit with buys such as AF15, FF1, Hulk1, WD1, TMNT1, XM1 etc. This time I have about $7k tops to spend. The 3 I’m looking at are either TOS39, JTM 83 or ASM 1. All 3 are safe bets and cant see them going down, but what do you think is the best value. Prices are raising and I don’t want to hang around too much. I’m looking at holding on to these at least 10 years so its all about the long haul not what film is coming out next year. For me it’s all about if its a key issue, an important established character and scarcity. I am however open to other suggestions?

Edited by shadroch

On 3/30/2022 at 2:15 PM, shadroch said:

The guy wants us to share our best investments but won't bother to tell us about the 5,000 books he has recently bought. 

It doesn't seem like a fair exchange of information.

What is the concern about what we as a community think are good investments? I thought this community was a fellowship of folks who enjoy collecting and investing in comics. Don’t really understand the push back for someone who genuinely wants to know our opinions. 

On 3/30/2022 at 1:56 PM, Gregd said:

What is the concern about what we as a community think are good investments? I thought this community was a fellowship of folks who enjoy collecting and investing in comics. Don’t really understand the push back for someone who genuinely wants to know our opinions. 

I don't know in this specific instance.  But in general there is a friction between collectors (who want comics to stay at a price where they can continue to add to their collection) and investors (who want diamond hands/to the moon).

On 3/30/2022 at 2:56 PM, Gregd said:

No matter what people list off as good investments, someone on here will always say it's bad advice and it usually comes from fanboys who wanna sniff old newsprint, "Oh you wanna invest in a Startling 49?  Oh no, that book isn't going anywhere!, I'd never invest in that "   Comic readers don't like comic investors cause selling a comic at auction for profit isn't how they see comics and people who post asking others for "investment advice" are attacked since it doesn't align with their views.   

On 3/29/2022 at 11:32 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, because defaced comics definitely aren't a niche.

Well it would definitely be defacing if you let your child scribble all over something.

I find it a bit hard to believe that you'd trade off your Jack Kirby signed comic because he had the audacity to sign his work though.

"Oh please fine sir, please take my rare signature item, this Abraham Lincoln fellow ruined this letter! Signatures are silly! Signing things, by gosh!"

Edited by D2

On 3/30/2022 at 1:29 PM, Kevin76 said:

No matter what people list off as good investments, someone on here will always say it's bad advice and it usually comes from fanboys who wanna sniff old newsprint, "Oh you wanna invest in a Startling 49?  Oh no, that book isn't going anywhere!, I'd never invest in that "   Comic readers don't like comic investors cause selling a comic at auction for profit isn't how they see comics and people who post asking others for "investment advice" are attacked since it doesn't align with their views.   

I'd love a Startling 49, but think I've missed my window.... much like Phantom Lady 17.  Oh well.

On 3/30/2022 at 2:32 PM, D2 said:

Well it would definitely be defacing if you let your child scribble all over something.

I find it a bit hard to believe that you'd trade off your Jack Kirby signed comic because he had the audacity to sign his work though.

"Oh please fine sir, please take my rare signature item, this Abraham Lincoln fellow ruined this letter! Signatures are silly! Signing things, by gosh!"

Which is why you can use ballpoint on the margins of the indicia page, instead of destroying the cover artwork with a sharpie or paint pen. 

On 3/29/2022 at 10:17 AM, D2 said:

Talking about market correction,

there are less than 300 signed Dark Knight Return #1 9.8s

1) any non comic reader knows that book

2) any new comic collector wants to own it

3) 300 copies of the modern grail is not many 

4) this book is only going to go up, and even at $1,800 usd, it’s a steal

Yes, Batman: The Dark Knight is an iconic series that has some awareness outside of comic collectors. Yes, the first issue of Batman: The Dark Knight has a classic cover and is the overly-emphasized first issue. Yes, there is demand (though hardly as universal as you're claiming) for Batman: The Dark Knight and that's unlikely to change in the near future. What I'm missing here is what any of that has to do with copies being turned into a niche item by signatures. I'm also definitely missing how $1800 USD is a steal or an investment.

On 3/30/2022 at 2:32 PM, D2 said:

I find it harder to believe that you think that I own stuff like that. Most people have little to no interest in buying items with signatures, especially at premium prices.

On 3/30/2022 at 9:25 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yes, Batman: The Dark Knight is an iconic series that has some awareness outside of comic collectors. Yes, the first issue of Batman: The Dark Knight has a classic cover and is the overly-emphasized first issue. Yes, there is demand (though hardly as universal as you're claiming) for Batman: The Dark Knight and that's unlikely to change in the near future. What I'm missing here is what any of that has to do with copies being turned into a niche item by signatures. I'm also definitely missing how $1800 USD is a steal or an investment.

I find it harder to believe that you think that I own stuff like that. Most people have little to no interest in buying items with signatures, especially at premium prices.

Just to comment on the last line, I'm not necessarily saying its wrong but its just my general gut feeling is that theres a lot more interest in signed comics than "most people have little to no interest". I went to try and find some sort of measurable way to look at this, so I decided to try searching "cgc comic universal" and "cgc comic signed" sold listing amount and there were 10x more results for signed sold listings. Not trying to pass this off as hard proof of anything since I'm sure not all cgc blue label listings are listed as universal (like if I decided to search cgc yellow label I only get about 30 results), but I think saying most people have no interest in buying signed comics is a stretch.  edit: and to be more fair, since I searched universal, to be a fair comparison I should have searched 'cgc comic signature' for signed books which only gets 1300+ results, which is still more than universal but not to such a drastic degree

edit2: actually to be even more fair, I forgot about the existence of raw books for a second which I think would skew things completely in the other direction. Don't know how I overlooked that, I might be mentally compromised while writing this sorry lol

image.png.5c4d249a71c5d274a50ca35a16c555f7.pngimage.png.75cbabc9976727d5c03d2b0229afc1a0.png

Edited by JC25427N

Autographed comics are for comic fanboys, not comic investors.  I know i don't want some stupid Stan Lee autographed comic who signed the book, right across the characters face 

On 3/30/2022 at 9:19 PM, JC25427N said:

Just to comment on the last line, I'm not necessarily saying its wrong but its just my general gut feeling is that theres a lot more interest in signed comics than "most people have little to no interest". I went to try and find some sort of measurable way to look at this, so I decided to try searching "cgc comic universal" and "cgc comic signed" sold listing amount and there were 10x more results for signed sold listings. Not trying to pass this off as hard proof of anything since I'm sure not all cgc blue label listings are listed as universal (like if I decided to search cgc yellow label I only get about 30 results), but I think saying most people have no interest in buying signed comics is a stretch.  edit: and to be more fair, since I searched universal, to be a fair comparison I should have searched 'cgc comic signature' for signed books which only gets 1300+ results, which is still more than universal but not to such a drastic degree

edit2: actually to be even more fair, I forgot about the existence of raw books for a second which I think would skew things completely in the other direction. Don't know how I overlooked that, I might be mentally compromised while writing this sorry lol

Most people don't put the word "Universal" in their Ebay listing, so your search isn't accurate. Try searching for CGC comic to get the total amount sold, and then subtract the CGC signed comics from that number. You'll find CGC comics sold that aren't signed is over 100,000.

Most people have little to no interest in buying items with signatures, especially at premium prices.

That is a fair point, BUT the topic at hand is regarding an 'investment'.
I also believe most people are not interested in buying items with signatures.
But those that are (dependent on the signature) push the price to 25% or more above non-SS prices.

I will provide a different book both SS and Universal that was printed en masse.
Also, regarding the SS, I did not pick and choose pricing as there are two auctions for SS copies that ended MUCH higher than this BIN.
As these illustrate, it would be a 'no brainer' to buy CGC 9.8s and then submit them for the next McFarlane SS opp with adding pressing.
Even after the total fees you'd clear over $100 each copy with no 'work' to be done on your end.

(Don't even get me started on Batman #423...)

Capture 2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Troy Division
added words

You aren't trying to sell an investment to most people. Most people won't pay a million dollars for any comic, even if they somehow had a million dollars.  To have a successful auction, all you need is two people who really want it. 

It doesn't matter that most comic collectors are turned off by autographed books, if that is true. What matters is there is a niche for them and people who like and collect them have been shown to pay premiums for the books.  Why should I care if 99.9% of the hobby hates a book, as long as that small minority who likes it will pay for it. 

While I wouldn't put all my money into signed copies of DK1, I'd certainly buy one if the price was right. I'm pretty sure it will still be in demand fifty years from now. I can't say the same for most comics. of that era.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:25 PM, Lazyboy said:

I'm not sure your opinion matches up with the marketplace. Signed stuff on eBay seems to go for more than unsigned stuff.