• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bruce Willis retiring from acting

17 posts in this topic

Bruce Willis’ Family Reveals He’s Battling Aphasia, Stepping Away From Acting

Bruce Willis has decided to walk away from acting after being diagnosed with aphasia, his family announced on Wednesday, March 30.

“To Bruce’s amazing supporters, as a family we wanted to share that our beloved Bruce has been experiencing some health issues and has recently been diagnosed with aphasia, which is impacting his cognitive abilities,” his daughter Rumer Willis shared via an Instagram statement, signed by Rumer, her mom, Demi Moore, Bruce’s wife, Emma Heming, and Rumer’s sisters, Scout, Tallulah, Mabel and Evelyn. “As a result of this and with much consideration Bruce is stepping away from the career that has meant so much to him.”

Kevin Smith reacted to the news about Bruce Willis’ acting retirement and aphasia diagnosis by saying he “feels like an individual_without_enough_empathy” for publicly slamming the actor over a decade ago. Smith directed Willis and Tracy Morgan in the 2010 buddy comedy “Cop Out,” but the director’s relationship with Willis was tumultuous. On a 2011 episode of Marc Maron’s podcast, Smith said “it was soul crushing” working with Willis.

“It was difficult,” Smith said at the time about Willis. The director added that Willis “wouldn’t even sit for a poster shoot” and that “were it not for Tracy, I might have killed either myself or someone else in the making of ‘Cop Out.'”

Following the announcement that Willis is stepping away from his career after being diagnosed with aphasia, a language disorder caused by brain damage that affects a person’s ability to communicate, Smith joined other Hollywood stars in sending well wishes to Willis and his family.

“Long before any of the ‘Cop Out’ stuff, I was a big Bruce Willis fan, so this is really heartbreaking to read,” Smith wrote on Twitter. “He loved to act and sing and the loss of that has to be devastating for him. I feel like an individual_without_enough_empathy for my petty complaints from 2010. So sorry to [Bruce Willis] and his family.”

On 3/30/2022 at 4:15 PM, Bosco685 said:

Apologizing for complaining for Bruce Willis' bad behavior on set? Can Kevin Smith be more of a little :censored:?

That said, I feel for Bruce Willis. This disease is something truly awful that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

On 3/30/2022 at 5:50 PM, ThothAmon said:

Willis has certainly made his mark. Expected very little going into Die Hard. Left the theater blown away.  Pulp fiction, Unbreakable, the list goes on and on. Sad. 

Even with The Last Boy Scout that was a fun popcorn film.

On 3/31/2022 at 7:15 AM, Bosco685 said:

He didn't have it over a decade ago, and he sounded like a complete to work with. Why infantilise people by taking away valid complaints about their behaviour because they're ill now? You did nothing wrong by calling it out. I'd argue you're doing the wrong thing by rescinding it. 

On 3/31/2022 at 9:38 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

The Razzies have rescinded their recent awards to him. Incredibly classy move on their part. 

Actually very classy on their part. Bruce as most others has had good movies and bad ones. 

On 4/1/2022 at 12:42 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

He didn't have it over a decade ago, and he sounded like a complete to work with. Why infantilise people by taking away valid complaints about their behaviour because they're ill now? You did nothing wrong by calling it out. I'd argue you're doing the wrong thing by rescinding it. 

Agree 100%.  But Keven Smith seems like a guy who feels bad about thinking ill of anybody.  If that lets him clear his conscience by letting past grievances go then good for him.

***Saw Pulp Fiction again a few nights ago...Boootchlol

A friend of mine worked with Willis on Gilliam's 12 Monkeys. It was shot in Philly in Temple Hospital's psychiatric unit. My buddy is a nurse practitioner and is in the movie as one of the medical guys restraining Willis and Brad Pitt. He said Willis was really friendly, and they got along really well.  So I guess he has his good days and bad days, like everyone else. My friend said Gilliam and Frank Gorshin were great as well.

On 4/6/2022 at 11:45 AM, Drummy said:

My wife and I are re-watching "The Fifth Element" tonight as a partial tribute to Bruce...that movie is off the chain.  But I love it!

That movie made me a Milla Jovovich fan