• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graded preview inserts
3 3

9 posts in this topic

What is people's stance on pulling inserts out of comics, and getting them graded? I'm seeing a growing number of sellers ripping these out of them out and getting them graded and getting higher prices than a complete comic they came from in the same grade. Previews like MASK, Masters of the Universe, Sonic the Hedgehog. (A CGC 9.8 Sonic insert sells for 125.00 and a Detective 639 CGC 9.8 sells for less than 120.00).I personally don't agree with the practice, and don't think they should get a blue label unless it is a NG (which is done when people send in a page for grading)  What do my fellow boardies think? 

433ED55C-91F5-4623-BA60-C10C80C5154A.jpeg

F16C9CE0-75EC-4465-A8DC-A5D4164AB2AD.jpeg

Edited by bellrules

This is pure garbage. The only thing I'm unsure of is who should be more ashamed: the people who pull these out or CGC. :facepalm:

The buyers also don't look great here, but they've been misled by people who know exactly what they've done and people who should know what they're doing.

On 3/31/2022 at 9:59 AM, D84 said:

So an incomplete comic gets a 9.8?

I think this is done with books that won't get a 9.4 or better.  Rip out the insert( carefully) and submit it. Throw away the useless comic. 

I can sort of see this as defensible for the couple of inserts that came in things like Previews where most collectors are neither able nor interested in keeping a big, chonky, totally-not-comic-sized book. This is complicated by the fact that a few of those inserts (although not, to my knowledge, the Sonic one) actually had some copies distributed on their own, which would make them legitimate separate items. But it's pretty weird that people are looting the books the Sonic insert came in to "create" a Sonic collectible; just ... get those books (of which there are 3 or 4, iirc, not just Tec639).