• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any of you comic people collect Hot Wheels?
5 5

303 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2022 at 1:30 PM, jayhawker said:

Sold all of my red lines from my childhood about 10 years ago. The ones I have left are ones I’ve picked up in the last couple years. I found that rally case at a garage sale about five years ago. The guy said he found it in his attic. It still has the paper label with a date on it from 1967. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice. The case is generally no big deal but never seen one mint with the hang tag. 

On 4/5/2022 at 6:28 PM, Ant-Man said:

Didn’t collect, but certainly accumulated as a kid (I’m sure this crowd can appreciate the difference). It wasn’t enough to just play with the cars, you had to represent when stepping out.

47DB4180-4FB4-4A79-A3CA-0B0FFEA3EF35.thumb.jpeg.bc0d0133355648fa660ae9ccea50f4f9.jpeg2A8AE7C6-EDC9-4B4D-A46A-FE27B2EAC452.thumb.jpeg.764e797dfa221ac04c0e078cb1152234.jpeg6B1CA537-34D3-43EF-A5A5-756929CDBC86.thumb.jpeg.c6ea1b742ed951a13e826f6ae0e25c7d.jpeg

Great piece. I have bought and sold a few of those over the years. Sell fast for decent money. I have never seen one in the original box though.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:37 PM, Robot Man said:

What a concept “to play with not to keep in their plastic vaults”. Oddly, like comic books. I haven’t looked but I suspect someone “grades” these too.

My daughter often buys dupes so she can open one. Hey, how much fun can you have with a buck these days?

LOVE Hot Wheels. Have some of the originals, nothing super high-dollar or mint in the package. Board member nerv has some really nice ones (if he hasn't already replied to the thread, I haven't read through it all yet!) In answer to your question about grading the cars in or out of their original packaging -- nothing formal that I'm aware of RM, not even anything like with figure grading or video game grading. And once the car's out of the package, it's a whole new set of flaws, minor to major that affect desirability. I don't mind a little playwear, but it has to still look "pretty good" and that will vary depending on one's tastes. One cool thing about the original Hot Wheels from '68 up through roughly 1971, there were various wheel cap and entire wheel styles, but they can be swapped from one car to another -- so worn out chrome on your wheels, you can do a wheel upgrade. :-)

On 3/30/2022 at 3:38 PM, cortown71 said:

I've collected them since the 70s when I was a kid.got really serious about them in the early 90s.and then of course late 90s to now with ebay.

I've had pretty much the entire line of every car released.i had a pretty crazy redline collection.but sold a lot of it off from 08-2012. I turned all of it into other hobbies.tons of comics of course.

I still peg hunt.but online buying is at a stand still now.

Some of my current redlines.nothing like I had.

20200131_175747.jpg

Trimmed out some of your photos, but this is a WAY impressive collection -- very very nice! RM, cortown71's amazing cars are a great representation of how some Hot Wheels fans like to collect "rainbows", nice examples of a favorite casting in all the known colors it has been found in. Some colors being very rare, can result in eye-popping prices. :)

On 3/30/2022 at 6:14 PM, Robot Man said:

I have zero nostalgia about Hot Wheels. I was in high school when they came out. I was much more interested in girls, cars and music by then.

My era was Matchbox cars. All of which went the way of my other childhood stuff.

Over the years, I have picked up some nice loose ones. I like the VWs, motorcycles and any with vintage advertising. I need to dig them out for a photo…

Conversely, I have tons of nostalgia for Hot Wheels, being born in '71 and growing up with them. The world's premiere collection of them (Bruce Pascal's) is largely due to his being 10 when they first appeared in '68, and falling in love with them then.

On 4/2/2022 at 3:30 PM, jayhawker said:

Sold all of my red lines from my childhood about 10 years ago. The ones I have left are ones I’ve picked up in the last couple years. I found that rally case at a garage sale about five years ago. The guy said he found it in his attic. It still has the paper label with a date on it from 1967. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Rally Cases are generally, pretty common, but much more unusual to find one with that packaging tag! Most of those were long since discarded.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:31 AM, originalisbest said:

Conversely, I have tons of nostalgia for Hot Wheels, being born in '71 and growing up with them. The world's premiere collection of them (Bruce Pascal's) is largely due to his being 10 when they first appeared in '68, and falling in love with them then.

You are right in that perfect era for them. My wife and I are antique dealers. She does fine antiques and I do vintage Americana collectibles. I have bought and sold more Redlines and slot cars than I can remember including a couple very large collections. I have only kept a few that I really liked not for value but just because I liked them.

As I said at the beginning of this thread, I only buy them for my daughter who started collecting about a year ago. I just enjoy “the hunt” and the thrill of getting to a new box first. She has taught me what to look for and it is so much fun when she comes over and I give her a bunch. Father/Daughter bonding.

By the way, I have experienced many great collectors of these. Often giving me rare cars because they already have them and know I don’t. A competitive hobby but full of people who love them. A refreshing change to a lot of comic collectors I encounter “out in the wild”…

Agreed on your views about Hot Wheels collectors generally! They're a fun bunch. I'm sure some are super-competitive for cars, but most seem to value camaraderie even more. Nothing better than having something to bond over with your daughter, besides!

toycarcollector.com is where I've gotten some of my cars, and there's a lot of competition for better models on eBay of course. Dave Williamson also has a ton of unpacking videos of car collections he's bought on YouTube as well, including the only known (he believes) original Johnny Lightning store display, that might be right up your alley RM: