• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any of you comic people collect Hot Wheels?
5 5

305 posts in this topic

Fun score today. Just happened to walk into my local Target and the nice young lady was hanging a fresh box. Got the second set of Target limited edition red editions. They come out every couple of months with usually two sets per box. Not every box has them either. They are always gone when I get there.

And if that wasn’t good enough, I got my second Super Treasure Hunt!

I bought a bunch and the girl said I could just have the empty box. 

5598F33E-4C3F-4D39-9FD2-B999F954FBE9.jpeg

On 5/4/2022 at 12:20 AM, Robot Man said:

Fun score today. Just happened to walk into my local Target and the nice young lady was hanging a fresh box. Got the second set of Target limited edition red editions. They come out every couple of months with usually two sets per box. Not every box has them either. They are always gone when I get there.

And if that wasn’t good enough, I got my second Super Treasure Hunt!

I bought a bunch and the girl said I could just have the empty box. 

5598F33E-4C3F-4D39-9FD2-B999F954FBE9.jpeg

Hate to break it to you,but that's the mainline.the super has gold 4 spokes and rubber tires of course.the red is close on the super vs mainline but not seethru(spectraflame) a good way to tell if you have a super is to look behind the car on the card and look for a gold flamed logo.

Added a pic of the super kafer next to the mainline also note the card art of the car has different wheels.and also somewhere on the car there will be a 'TH' logo for treasure hunt.

Screenshot_20220504-021814_Chrome.jpg

On 5/3/2022 at 11:29 PM, cortown71 said:

Hate to break it to you,but that's the mainline.the super has gold 4 spokes and rubber tires of course.the red is close on the super vs mainline but not seethru(spectraflame) a good way to tell if you have a super is to look behind the car on the card and look for a gold flamed logo.

Added a pic of the super kafer next to the mainline also note the card art of the car has different wheels.and also somewhere on the car there will be a 'TH' logo for treasure hunt.

Screenshot_20220504-021814_Chrome.jpg

:sorry:

Lol somebody had to do it. At least those Target reds are good.i'd dump them now while they're worth 20+ a piece or trade them for a super.

And just so you don't feel too bad,I haven't found a super this year.

Interesting thread.  I still have a big box of hot wheels track.  You know, the orange stuff.  I was saving it for when grandkids came along, but I'm starting to think that may not happen :(

I sold all/most of the cars around 10 years ago on the bay.  There were about 40 of them.  They were all beat up and played with and I was surprised at the bidding activity.  Turns out one of them was sought after by a few people.  It was a VW bus with surfboards.  Who knew? 

Edited by Senormac
Hot hot hot ..... wheels info

On 4/21/2022 at 9:24 AM, originalisbest said:

Agreed on your views about Hot Wheels collectors generally! They're a fun bunch. I'm sure some are super-competitive for cars, but most seem to value camaraderie even more. Nothing better than having something to bond over with your daughter, besides!

toycarcollector.com is where I've gotten some of my cars, and there's a lot of competition for better models on eBay of course. Dave Williamson also has a ton of unpacking videos of car collections he's bought on YouTube as well, including the only known (he believes) original Johnny Lightning store display, that might be right up your alley RM: 

I remember Johnny Lightning commercials during Saturday morning cartoons.  I had a few and always thought. these things are pretty dang fast.  

@Robot Man

When I was a kid Hot Wheels weren't as widespread, at least where I lived. They had what were called "Matchbox Cars" .... very similar to Hot Wheels in size and structure. Retailers would mercilessly place them at the checkout, where Mom or Dad were powerless to escape the begging and pleading. My favorites were the Heavy Equipment, GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/4/2022 at 9:09 AM, cortown71 said:

Lol somebody had to do it. At least those Target reds are good.i'd dump them now while they're worth 20+ a piece or trade them for a super.

And just so you don't feel too bad,I haven't found a super this year.

Thanks for the info. I really like the car anyway. Like I said, I started buying them for my daughter. Being a curious collector, I started doing a little research and have found myself slowly collecting a few for myself. The best part is the “thrill of the hunt”.

I have met a lot of real cool collectors. These folks seem to be happy to help each other out. I am more than happy to do the same.

Like any hobby though, you have to keep your best sources to your self. I have been very friendly to the workers and have found out when they usually stock their shelves. They like me because I’m not pushy or greedy. I have had a few unopened boxes handed to me.

I got the red cars because my daughter told me to look for them. I hit a local Target last week and the girl pulled a box  out off the pallet and handed it to me. Inside were 4 sets. I bought one for my daughter, one for myself just because I liked them and decided to get one more for “trade bait”. I left a set for the next guy. They came in the “G” mix and apparently not in every one Target got. There were even 2 regular THs. I left one as well. I had no idea they are going for $20. each. That’s crazy. 

I’ve been doing this since Nov and have only found one Super. I’ve probably been first on a box about 8 times. Damn, those things are hard to find!

So I have an extra set if you have a spare Super…

On 5/4/2022 at 5:56 PM, Morganmi said:

Still have my childhood "collection". Never collected really but bought and gathered whatever I could find and played with them for years. They are gathering dust now but this thread reminded me to dig some out and take a few pics. There are more somewhere just need to keep digging. :bigsmile:

20220504_203648.jpg

20220504_203830.jpg

20220504_203922.jpg

20220504_204307.jpg

20220504_204443.jpg

Awsome! I see some cool vintage Redlines there. Love the red VW Bug and the Gold Beatnik Bandit. You have some decent value there. Glad you kept them. 

On 5/4/2022 at 4:16 PM, Senormac said:

I remember Johnny Lightning commercials during Saturday morning cartoons.  I had a few and always thought. these things are pretty dang fast.  

I found these at a flea market recently. Two are Johnny Lightnings. They were a buck apiece. Going to give them to my daughter. 

3A452CB8-9377-4B89-83F3-490A298A787F.jpeg

I wouldn't consider myself a diehard Hot Wheels collector but I have a few with ties to superheroes....I generally gravitate towards ones that are made of as much metal as possible so if I do pick one up at a flea market or wherever, that is what I look for. A desirable make and model and a metal bottom. The older the better. My dad used to play Hotwheels with us as kids and I have carried that tradition on to my son and daughter. My son ended up getting all my cars which were in great shape haha. I don't think any had value but I was never that big into knowing what if any in the last 30 years were considered valuable....

In the 80's I started collecting vintage pre 1970 Matchbox because I had a collection when I was a kid. Collection got pretty big with all the variations and new models. Quickly turned into collecting Vintage Hot Wheels and then current 1980's HW as well. Diecast collecting was big at that time. Most of the 80's stuff has little value today so it is a hobby of the love of cars. I stopped collecting the new stuff out of frustration because of greedy scalpers who would be at Target or TRU when the doors opened and would run and grab any of the HTF blisters.

On 5/6/2022 at 2:56 PM, Just Visiting said:

Found this a couple days ago. Fits on a key ring.

20220506_174717.jpg

20220506_174833.jpg

20220506_174826.jpg

20220506_174846.jpg

Saw that. My daughter didn’t want it so I passed. All the local sharks are snatching them up like crazy. They started out a little scarce (one to a box) but now we are flooded with them. There is a red one coming out…

Mattel is a brilliant company. They put out a new casting then recolor it 10 times. They also release cases very slowly to keep the demand high. Of all toys, Hot Wheels racks are always empty. 

On 5/6/2022 at 8:06 PM, Robot Man said:

They put out a new casting then recolor it 10 times

and that is one reason I stopped collecting hot wheels. Multiple colors of the same car got to be too much for me.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:18 PM, jokiing said:

In the 80's I started collecting vintage pre 1970 Matchbox because I had a collection when I was a kid. Collection got pretty big with all the variations and new models. Quickly turned into collecting Vintage Hot Wheels and then current 1980's HW as well. Diecast collecting was big at that time. Most of the 80's stuff has little value today so it is a hobby of the love of cars. I stopped collecting the new stuff out of frustration because of greedy scalpers who would be at Target or TRU when the doors opened and would run and grab any of the HTF blisters.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Lots of that around here too. You just have to be smart, outwit them a little and be lucky.

Walmart and the grocery stores seem a little shifty with some under the tables dealing going on. I don’t go there much. 

There is a small Target real close to home. I figured out when they stock the shelves. I also made friends with the manager and the girl who stocks them. I go in every night at 5:15 and check the pallets. They don’t hold them but often dig out a box and hand it to me. If I am there, I get them, if not I don’t.

Last night was one of those days. I took them around to the next isle and went through them. I got 5 for my daughter and these two got myself. I didn’t clean them out or take more than one of each. There are a lot of guys that will do the same. The real collectors seem cool and we help each other out. Nobody gives up their sources or secrets though. A lot of it is the “thrill of the hunt”…

5D978852-9B77-4ED0-84E5-E90F73F53E35.jpeg

37950199-E4A7-4F35-A8F0-63C302B1E648.jpeg