• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any of you comic people collect Hot Wheels?
5 5

300 posts in this topic

I didn't care for Johnny Lightning cars as a kid but man were they fast.  Their JL 500 track was far superior to any Hot Wheels set up  but they just never had the cache of Hot Wheels.  As I recall it, and it has been more than fifdty years, the Hot Wheel tracks and their superchargers were easy to put together and you could lay out an entire track in minutes, where the Johnny Lightning 500 track was semi-permanant and not easy to assemble or dissemble. Hot Wheels tracks were do it yourself and easily cutsomized.  I remember a friend stepped on a piece of the JL 500 set and pretty much ruined the whole thing. 

My cousin had the only Matchbox race track I ever saw.  As I recall it ,it was ingenious.  You would glue a small pin like device onto any brand car, put it on the track and a spring withing the track would propel the car around the track. Much closer to slot car racing than Hot Wheels or J.L. was.  I was never a big fan of the Hot Wheels Super Chargers.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:00 AM, Robot Man said:

Bumped into these at the grocery store this morning. First time I have seen them. Very nice.

120E2DCA-03F0-4F31-A720-EB29D4B72830.jpeg

Good thing Flash has that step van in case he has to get somewhere in a hurry :popcorn:

On 5/7/2022 at 8:09 AM, shadroch said:

My cousin had the only Matchbox race track I ever saw.  As I recall it ,it was ingenious.  You would glue a small pin like device onto any brand car, put it on the track and a spring withing the track would propel the car around the track. Much closer to slot car racing than Hot Wheels or J.L. was.  I was never a big fan of the Hot Wheels Super Chargers.

Hot Wheels did have a racing system called Fat Track that was pretty cool.  No slots at all.  You would juice up the cars and let them go around the track racing each other in a really FREE STYLE way.  It was Ingenius but kind of a hassle to keep buying batteries.  

On 5/7/2022 at 8:09 AM, shadroch said:

I didn't care for Johnny Lightning cars as a kid but man were they fast.  Their JL 500 track was far superior to any Hot Wheels set up  but they just never had the cache of Hot Wheels.  As I recall it, and it has been more than fifdty years, the Hot Wheel tracks and their superchargers were easy to put together and you could lay out an entire track in minutes, where the Johnny Lightning 500 track was semi-permanant and not easy to assemble or dissemble. Hot Wheels tracks were do it yourself and easily cutsomized.  I remember a friend stepped on a piece of the JL 500 set and pretty much ruined the whole thing. 

By the time Hot Wheels originally came out, I was hopping up Volkswagens and tearing up the streets.

As kids, my brother and I had Aurora slot cars. Man, those were fun!

On 5/7/2022 at 8:13 AM, Senormac said:

Hot Wheels did have a racing system called Fat Track that was pretty cool.  No slots at all.  You would juice up the cars and let them go around the track racing each other in a really FREE STYLE way.  It was Ingenius but kind of a hassle to keep buying batteries.  

Hot Wheels came out with The Sizzler line a year or two after I lost interest in them. Some of my younger friends had them but I was never interested in them . They don't seem to have aged well as I almost never see sizzlers  around.

I had to look up the fat track system as it was after my time.  Looks like chaos.

Edited by shadroch

On 5/7/2022 at 8:19 AM, shadroch said:

Hot Wheels came out with The Sizzler line a year or two after I lost interest in them. Some of my younger friends had them but I was never interesreted in them . They don't seem to have aged well as I almost never see sizzlers  around.

I had a few boxed ones a few years ago and couldn’t give them away. 

I collected everything from hot wheels comic related but now am focusing on a few castings. I always pick up kool kombi, vw dragbus are the main two I pick up and if I every come across the supers. Price point is what keeps me hunting for the supers. I also noticed that M2 also puts out kool kombi casting as well which I pick up. I’m looking for 2 new kombi casting nightmare before Christmas and the green lantern I have not found in my area. 

On 5/8/2022 at 6:15 AM, reptilekingdie said:

I collected everything from hot wheels comic related but now am focusing on a few castings. I always pick up kool kombi, vw dragbus are the main two I pick up and if I every come across the supers. Price point is what keeps me hunting for the supers. I also noticed that M2 also puts out kool kombi casting as well which I pick up. I’m looking for 2 new kombi casting nightmare before Christmas and the green lantern I have not found in my area. 

Yeah I have a weekness for VWs. Especially split window busses and transporters. Here are a couple of my favorites. Bought them the same day at the grocery store about 8 months ago.

These are larger, heavier castings with rubber tires. Very well done.

C0E9C95D-71A1-4BA6-BC6C-5859D5A4959A.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

Got lucky this morning at my local Krugers. Lady just finished loading the racks with a couple unopened boxes.

I posted the Flash & Green Lantern Jim Lee cars. Found the Superman one today.

Got a few  more including a couple regular Treasure Hunts.

If any of you guys collect them, I have a few dupes. I am still missing the Quick Bite, 65 Ford Galaxie and the orange Jeep. Sorry, but I have only one Super that I’m keeping. PM me if you have any of my wants to trade. 

9478F9A6-5D73-47AC-9B25-90474E6AA5DC.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.bf384ee38e631aefcbf1540ca855f035.jpgI picked these up at a local auction house. They'd been advertised as "Fast Food promo cars" and the lot was passed.  Their photos stressed the two Happy Meals cars and ignored the promtional candy cars. These are from Yat Ming and I'm guessing mid to late 80s. My google skills are lacking but I think these are rare-ish.  The funny thing is I have a non-promo model that says Yat Ming but the promos leave the box blank, with no maker listed.

I also found this 1/43 Fastback I don't see listed anywhere.

image.thumb.jpg.9bf7068f7336a0bb507ad325b70d4070.jpg

Yat Ming used to be a fourth tier toy maker but they really upped their game.

image.jpg

Edited by shadroch

On 5/15/2022 at 8:42 PM, whisp said:

I had quite a few hot wheels when I was a kid with track and the gas station and such.  No idea where they are.  I was at the dollar store and saw this and grabbed it.  Its my only Hot Wheel.

strhot.jpg

Nice grab! Mattel is one VERY smart company. These are generally priced at $1. And the racks are generally close to the cash register. Perfect impulse buys. Hard not to grab a couple. They also come out with a new mix every month to keep collectors coming back. Bonuses like Treasure Hunts and exclusive cars appeal to the addiction of the hunt. They market vehicles to all audiences. They have the collector’s market down to a science. The Hot Wheels folks in my area are like hungry dogs…

On 5/16/2022 at 10:23 AM, Robot Man said:

Nice grab! Mattel is one VERY smart company. These are generally priced at $1. And the racks are generally close to the cash register. Perfect impulse buys. Hard not to grab a couple. They also come out with a new mix every month to keep collectors coming back. Bonuses like Treasure Hunts and exclusive cars appeal to the addiction of the hunt. They market vehicles to all audiences. They have the collector’s market down to a science. The Hot Wheels folks in my area are like hungry dogs…

I was actually watching some youtube videos on hot wheels that week and this guy goes to like all the dollar stores and such and gets them to open boxes and he goes thru the ones on the shelf.  Seemed it was only specific chase ones he was searching for.  I have no idea if mine was an actual chase but it was the only one out of 100's of them and it was numbered differently so I grabbed it.  Total impulse buy since I was there for tea towels and gravy lol.

On 5/16/2022 at 9:53 AM, whisp said:

I was actually watching some youtube videos on hot wheels that week and this guy goes to like all the dollar stores and such and gets them to open boxes and he goes thru the ones on the shelf.  Seemed it was only specific chase ones he was searching for.  I have no idea if mine was an actual chase but it was the only one out of 100's of them and it was numbered differently so I grabbed it.  Total impulse buy since I was there for tea towels and gravy lol.

He was searching for a Super Treasure Hunt car. They are randomly inserted into one in every 15-20 boxes. Very hard to find. I have only found one. I laugh when these guys say they are worth so much. Average $100. On eBay give or take depending on the car. Yeah, a score for a dollar but the amount of gas and time makes it chump change when compared to comics. Hot Wheels guys are crazy! 

The Starship Enterprise is a cool one but a current one. Well worth a Buck and if you live long enough, might actually be worth something. I was also happy to find one as well. 

Went to the local comic store and looked at some redlines but nothing I had when I was a kid was there.  Went to clearance section and found these.  Now I have some Batmobiles to race once I get some straight track.  Hope they make a Moon Knight car.

batmanset.jpg

Edited by whisp

On 5/21/2022 at 9:06 AM, whisp said:

Went to the local comic store and looked at some redlines but nothing I had when I was a kid was there.  Went to clearance section and found these.  Now I have some Batmobiles to race once I get some straight track.  Hope they make a Moon Knight car.

batmanset.jpg

Moon Knight maybe not. But there is a Knight Rider car on the racks right now. And they are coming out with a Back to the Future DeLorean coming out soon soon.