• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any of you comic people collect Hot Wheels?
4 4

298 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2022 at 9:24 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Got this today, when taking a pic of the back cover, made me think of this thread :) 

Glad there were advertisements as recent as 2011, as I see the vehicles from time to time, but the ads never come up in my day to day :cheers:

I wonder if I'm their demographic (shrug) makes not nevermind, cool thread!

4816533_Full_Rev.jpg?t=Ni8xOS8yMDIyIDY6M

I had that van with the wing but it was a shiny gold colour when I was a kid.

On 6/22/2022 at 5:03 AM, whisp said:

My pickups for the week.  

12cars.jpg

Nice finds. I really like the BMW. Target got some exclusive editions. One was the BMW. There was also a VW Bug & a Corvette. They were mixed in a D case. They put out a dozen a year. So far 6 different. Fun to find those exclusive variants.

There is also a Super Treasure Hunt version of it. 

E554A965-5FC6-4EC5-AB03-8F70E9486B9D.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

On 6/19/2022 at 11:05 AM, Robot Man said:

Carded Redlines!  (worship)

Is that important or good?  Like I mentioned, I was just hoping to do some racing with grandkids, not keep as an investment

On 6/22/2022 at 9:58 AM, Senormac said:

Is that important or good?  Like I mentioned, I was just hoping to do some racing with grandkids, not keep as an investment

Oh yes they can be. Not comic money in most cases. But, the red line tired cars especially carded are highly sought after by rabid collectors. 

I ran across an ad from someone looking to buy hot wheels and matchbox cars.   Someone at the same phone number also had ads for baseball  cards, comics, toys,ect,ect.  I had an interesting conversation with the buyer, who explained some hot wheels cars can be worth as much as $20, if still in their original packaging. 

He said loose ones, even from the 1960s aren't worth much- maybe fifty cents each if in great shape.  Any diecast car from the mid-70s up, he pays ten-twenty five cents for loose and a quarter if it is mint on the card.   I asked about baseball cards and he said as much as three cents each for 1970s cards with no creases.

On 7/7/2022 at 11:33 AM, shadroch said:

I ran across an ad from someone looking to buy hot wheels and matchbox cars.   Someone at the same phone number also had ads for baseball  cards, comics, toys,ect,ect.  I had an interesting conversation with the buyer, who explained some hot wheels cars can be worth as much as $20, if still in their original packaging. 

He said loose ones, even from the 1960s aren't worth much- maybe fifty cents each if in great shape.  Any diecast car from the mid-70s up, he pays ten-twenty five cents for loose and a quarter if it is mint on the card.   I asked about baseball cards and he said as much as three cents each for 1970s cards with no creases.

Lol I dug up a Tootsie metal bus or van with a metal detector years ago in my front yard. I didn't stay with it long, but I kept that momento; although, it's not match box or etc. :) nor hot wheels

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Added nor hot wheels

Saw this wall mount style on youtube so went and grabbed some supplies. Was a bit different and called drywall straps. Total was $20 to make a 6 row 3 feet section. My collection so far plus a couple on a bookshelf. I bought some of those mystery packs and they had the stickers in them.

hotwheelswallmount.jpg

hotwallin.jpg

On 7/7/2022 at 9:33 AM, shadroch said:

He is a cheap, lowball scammer. Early carded Hot Wheels can be worth hundreds or even thousands. Would be funny to see what he would pay for a nice stack of SA Marvels…

On 7/7/2022 at 9:37 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lol I dug up a Tootsie metal bus or van with a metal detector years ago in my front yard. I didn't stay with it long, but I kept that momento; although, it's not match box or etc. :) nor hot wheels

Early Tootsietoy vehicles are cool. I have a small stash of them. I don’t really collect them but more often “accumulate” them when I run across them in my travels. 

On 7/7/2022 at 10:17 AM, whisp said:

Saw this wall mount style on youtube so went and grabbed some supplies. Was a bit different and called drywall straps. Total was $20 to make a 6 row 3 feet section. My collection so far plus a couple on a bookshelf. I bought some of those mystery packs and they had the stickers in them.

hotwheelswallmount.jpg

hotwallin.jpg

That looks cool. My daughter bought some peg board and hooks. She can switch them out when she gets tired of them.

112A32AA-3356-480A-B96E-797505880628.jpeg

03838990-685B-47D6-B5D5-E351F36A40ED.jpeg

Edited by Robot Man

On 7/7/2022 at 12:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lets hear more about the metal detector adventures :D:cheers:

On 7/7/2022 at 6:45 PM, Namtak said:

Lets hear more about the metal detector adventures :D:cheers:

Oh man, my cousin and I went to the lake and dug up a metal condm tin from the 1940's.

We didnt open it, but was a story to tell, other than that a 1916 penny was the closest I had or 1914, I forget but want to say the teens. I gave it to my cousin as a gift for getting me to try the hobby for a while. I kept the penny from 1944, as I was in college at the time and the year had some story to take to class.

After the condm tin, I relinquished the hobby lol

:roflmao

On 7/7/2022 at 3:47 PM, Robot Man said:

He is a cheap, lowball scammer. Early carded Hot Wheels can be worth hundreds or even thousands. Would be funny to see what he would pay for a nice stack of SA Marvels…

He came by last night and spent a few hundred bucks. He actually went through two tubs of loose cars, rejected ones with bad paint defects and gave me forty cents each for the rest.  He went nuts over a Marx tin locomotive that I paid $5 for. I've seen it on ebay for $10-15 but he insisted it be part of the deal. I'm not sure if I made any profit, but losing two big tubs of anything is good.  He noticed three old bug spray dispensers that I'd paid $5 for the lot and offered me $25 for two of them.  I asked $30 for the three but he didn't want the third one.  I negotiated him down to $25 for the three and we both were happy. He also took a couple of paper mache figures I'd somehow come across.  The best part of the night was finding two comic boxes when I moved the tubs. The first was mostly Legends of the Dark Knight, with a handful of 1980s Batman books, but the other was a nice run of Avengers from 94 to 200.