• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your next best book?
4 4

36 posts in this topic

I've been brainstorming off the radar DC stuff but nothing's really off the radar anymore. The last thing I want to do is generate more interest in an inexpensive niche. I just bought some L.E.G.I.O.N. stuff on ebay. I don't think I have to worry about those going up in value.

On 3/31/2022 at 5:09 PM, grendelbo said:

Facsimiles, reprints & niche interests.

Perfect solution! I should do that for some of the other books on my wish list. It's strange how some reprints are expensive these days. I guess it comes down to the size of print runs and cool covers

I've been getting a lot of value from the Classic X-Men title, specifically the Byrne/Austin issues. I love the fact that they are advert free for most of the Byrne run, then there's the sweet spot from 28 onward when they stopped putting stupid additional story pages into the reprint. They're ad-free right up to #44. Reprint quality is high, easily as good as the originals, (I've done many a comparison,) and they are easy to find with white pages. I've been converted to white pages by these reprints. Marvel changed their printing from #42 (Dec 1989) to a slightly crisper more modern method and even that doesn't spoil them. They cost almost nothing so you can flip through them without worrying about damage. My originals would be ruined if I looked at them as much as these reprints! (It's just sad that Steve Lightle died from covid in Jan 2021. His covers from 30 onward are fantastic.)

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 4/2/2022 at 2:19 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

I've been getting a lot of value from the Classic X-Men title, specifically the Byrne/Austin issues. I love the fact that they are advert free for most of the Byrne run, then there's the sweet spot from 28 onward when they stopped putting stupid additional story pages into the reprint. They're ad-free right up to #44. Reprint quality is high, easily as good as the originals, (I've done many a comparison,) and they are easy to find with white pages. I've been converted to white pages by these reprints. Marvel changed their printing from #42 (Dec 1989) to a slightly crisper more modern method and even that doesn't spoil them. They cost almost nothing so you can flip through them without worrying about damage. My originals would be ruined if I looked at them as much as these reprints! (It's just sad that Steve Lightle died from covid in Jan 2021. His covers from 30 onward are fantastic.)

That's another great alternative to expensive X-grails in particular. Wait....WTF! Steve Lightle died! Loved his work on Doom Patrol too! :(

On 4/3/2022 at 6:44 PM, MattrixAlien said:

That's another great alternative to expensive X-grails in particular. Wait....WTF! Steve Lightle died! Loved his work on Doom Patrol too! :(

And his LoSH stuff was great as well.

Sad.

Edited by JJ-4

On 3/30/2022 at 8:42 PM, MattrixAlien said:

With the cost of dream grails out of reach for many what is the next best book you've brought or are hunting for instead? It occurred to me it's like the real estate market when the price of homes in a certain suburb rise too high, people tend to look for a house in a cheaper neighbouring suburb.

My example is GSX1 & even UXM94 are both books I would love to have, but are a bit rich for my budget, so I picked up this as a next best thing...

516781876_UXM95FrontCover.thumb.jpg.f6f0f5101fab628f96bb0fcb44e61759.jpg

Great topic and great pickup.  While I think X-Men 95 is a solid choice, I might humbly suggest that if GSX 1 and X-Men 94 are feeling out of reach, then the "next best" (in terms of being a notch or two down in value while still being a sought after investment among serious X-Men collectors) would be something more like X-Men 101 or X-Men 129.  Good luck in the hunt!

On 4/4/2022 at 12:56 PM, kav said:

Man I keep finding out books I have in my longboxes have simply exploded.  I literally do not know what my collection is currently worth.  I've just had a bunch a books sitting in longboxes for 30-40 years.  

Kav, that's a nice problem to have :) There's apps/sites around which allow you to input collection details, and provide current values. These still require a lot of data entry though; either typing or scanning :p

Sweet Lou, thanks for the suggestions. UXM101 is getting out of reach as well! Considering it's major reason for being a key is a character transformation, albeit a big one (Jean Grey becomes Phoenix), it's had a extra big increase in value

On 4/5/2022 at 3:11 AM, KirbyJack said:

No Sgt. Fury 1, so I’ve got a Strange Tales 135. No X-Men 1, but I’ve got the start of Claremont’s new team; X-men 94. No Avengers 1, but I like this one better!

B35D91C4-B399-4CEB-BCE8-8C25917D85D0.thumb.jpeg.eb746af05d2f8f20578f24c107e8ca3c.jpeg

Thanks, Kirby Jack! Great grail examples

I know a lot of people would love the Punisher's 1st app in ASM129 but can't afford it, so they might get the 2nd appearance in ASM134, or a 3rd, 4th.. depending on their budget. Or they grab the 1st issue of his 1st ltd series etc... I've only got the 1st issue of his 1st ongoing at this stage :nyah:

Hey, UXM95 is Wolverine's 6th appearance! :frown: When it gets to 6th it's really pushing it xD What's the cut off? It is Storm, Nightcrawler etc.. 3rd, Claremont's 2nd X-men (& signed by him) and there's a death too so that's something, right? :) Anyway, I still love it 

On 4/4/2022 at 7:07 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Thanks, Kirby Jack! Great grail examples

I know a lot of people would love the Punisher's 1st app in ASM129 but can't afford it, so they might get the 2nd appearance in ASM134, or a 3rd, 4th.. depending on their budget. Or they grab the 1st issue of his 1st ltd series etc... I've only got the 1st issue of his 1st ongoing at this stage :nyah:

Hey, UXM95 is Wolverine's 6th appearance! :frown: When it gets to 6th it's really pushing it xD What's the cut off? It is Storm, Nightcrawler etc.. 3rd, Claremont's 2nd X-men (& signed by him) and there's a death too so that's something, right? :) Anyway, I still love it 

I've been espousing the 2nd and 3rd appearance for a long time, @Crops068 can confirm.

When I saw it happened with major silver age, I was sure it would spiral to other "ages!"

I'm not sure if it is just a slower build, due to the provenance that bronze hasn't the level or importance as silver. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

@MattrixAlien I know its cliche, I drew the line at cgc labels, it's a shame I know, but if cgc lists the 2nd or 3rd appearance, its easier.

Sometimes easier than 2nd cameos or third full etc in appearances.

I'm not saying it's for everybody, it's just where I drew the line. Do runs too, but if the first app isnt affordable etc. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM