• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Surface Sub Grade Issues

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I sent my first submission to CGC, and I was curious if anyone else had concerns about the surface sub grade on cards. I submitted an umbreon vmax alternate art. All other sub grades were 10, and the surface was a 9… Card was extremely clean, does this happen if like maybe I like finger prints or anything on the card? Or is it like manufacturing defects?

Just curious if anyone is experiencing the same thing.

Thank you!

Christian51032A88-8D84-4234-AF86-B405E5D6C6A2.png.835d6a929c96aeeaa19211105a0647b6.png

It could be one of multiple things. Yes leaving fingerprints could be one of them. It might have very light surface scratches you might not be able to see or a dent. They use special lights and machines to look over each card. Hopefully there are graders notes for you when the pop report gets released next month or so...

Edited by HomeGrownPoke1

On 3/31/2022 at 1:38 PM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

It could be one of multiple things. Yes leaving fingerprints could be one of them. It might have very light surface scratches you might not be able to see or a dent. They use special lights and machines to look over each card. Hopefully there are graders notes for you when the pop report gets released next month or so...

Awesome, thank you for this info!

I recently got my first returns from cgc and I had some of the same concerns, I submitted 4 cards 3 of them got nines and one of them got 8.5 due to surface. I looked at all four with a jewelers loupe (10x,20x,30x), before and after they got graded and I can't see why some of them had 9.5 surface subgrades and one had 8.5. I see no scratches in any of them and the only difference in one of them (9.5 surface) is that the texture pops out/contrasts more than the other 3 cards (9.5, 9, 8.5 surface sub grades).