• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Signature Series with witnessed and unwitnessed signatures

8 posts in this topic

Hi first time posting on here so hope this is the right place for this. I have a book that was previously signed by an artist and it was unwitnessed, but I am going to have it signed by another artist and witnessed and sent in for grading. What happens in this situation? The comic is modern and high-grade.

Would it get the signature series label with notes about the other signature? Or would it get a qualified label?

Thanks in advance.

On 3/31/2022 at 11:53 AM, CloudwalkerComics said:

Hi first time posting on here so hope this is the right place for this. I have a book that was previously signed by an artist and it was unwitnessed, but I am going to have it signed by another artist and witnessed and sent in for grading. What happens in this situation? The comic is modern and high-grade.

Would it get the signature series label with notes about the other signature? Or would it get a qualified label?

Thanks in advance.

welcome to the boards!

And yes, the unwitnessed would be a green strip on the label, but smallish, which would be above the Yellow label for the witnessed signature :) 

On 3/31/2022 at 1:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 3/31/2022 at 11:53 AM, CloudwalkerComics said:

Thanks in advance.

welcome to the boards!

And yes, the unwitnessed would be a green strip on the label, but smallish, which would be above the Yellow label for the witnessed signature :) 

here is an example :cheers: 

Label Description | CGC

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/2/2022 at 1:20 PM, somewhereintexas said:

If the book is a mid or lower grade copy, you can request that the unwitnessed signature be treated as writing on the cover and have the book graded accordingly.  In that case, the book receives an unqualified yellow label.

This is one of the things I have often wondered about.
I have a yellow label SS book (that was purchased raw with one signature on it already...a signature that is generally contested as being truly authentic...) whereas the others I find for sale on eBay are green / yellow label SS.
Would that mean that those green / yellow books didn't want to take a hit on the grade?

On 4/2/2022 at 2:13 PM, Troy Division said:

This is one of the things I have often wondered about.
I have a yellow label SS book (that was purchased raw with one signature on it already...a signature that is generally contested as being truly authentic...) whereas the others I find for sale on eBay are green / yellow label SS.
Would that mean that those green / yellow books didn't want to take a hit on the grade?

Generally that is the case.