• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staple-fee comic
1 1

11 posts in this topic

The Black Panther #2 (2005/Shuri) that my sub service sent me years ago was unstapled (i.e. never stapled, paper is unpunctured). Since this is a key book now, how does CGC treat this? I've tried to search for this question being answered here before, but I didn't find anything.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:34 AM, scburdet said:

Just a follow-up, would you think it's worth it to grade this comic to have the green label? At least I wouldn't have to worry about losing pages lol

I don't know if CGC has changed its position or not, but I have had an unstapled book mailed back to me without slabbing. The note stated that they would not encapsulate because the pages would not be secured, and could be damaged inside the slab. In an odd coincidence, it was a Jungle Action 8 also starring Black Panther.

Just posting an update since I got this one graded. Spot on with your information. I feel like the green label is being used for too many purposes. I certainly don't feel like it's a "label of death" for a comic that was manufactured without staples as opposed to what one might think about an unverified signature or cutout. @Qalyar @theCapraAegagrus @seanfingh

On 12/15/2022 at 8:11 PM, scburdet said:

I feel like the green label is being used for too many purposes. I certainly don't feel like it's a "label of death"

Then you don't understand it.

If what you're really trying to say is that you don't think the market always values Qualified slabs appropriately because CGC buyers are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, then you are absolutely correct.

On 12/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, Lazyboy said:

If what you're really trying to say is that you don't think the market always values Qualified slabs appropriately because CGC buyers are

More or less a different spin on my thinking. I agree with @Cool_Comics that this is a good use of green. Although, for example, double covers are blue, but no staples & multiple covers are both types of production errors that lead to a comic that deviates from normal. Both these examples are different from, for example, a cutout MVS, which someone did intentionally post-purchase. I guess to oversimplify my thinking, I wouldn't put a green label on a book with cutouts and treat it as damage that affects the grade. Let's not even start on TATTOOZ removal :canofworms: