• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bogus turnaround estimates for private signings?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

All the private signings are claiming a 6-week turnaround for grading with an additional 8 weeks for pressing. Are these just bogus aspirational estimates? It would seem wildly fast compared to what's advertised for regular services. I've just started making submissions, and am trying to get a grasp on promise vs. reality. I actually don't care much about how long it takes although the nearly 2-year wait some people report sounds really frustrating.

TAT on Signature Series submissions tend to be much quicker than that of normal submissions

also just to clarify your inquiry .... CCS pressing should only add an ~ additional 2 weeks so 8 weeks total for press and slab not 8 weeks added to the 6 weeks for grading

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

What most people don’t understand with those TAT’s are that it’s post signing. All of the submissions I have had, with one exception which took 12ish weeks, have been close to the 6-8 week tat. I’ve submitted to about 10 of them. 

Thanks for the info. I got that the clock starts after the signing. CGC has been pretty good about posting to their social media, so you know when the signing is actually happening 

And these TATs are precisely why the TATs for regular submissions are suffering.  Everything else gets pushed back so they can keep to the stated TATs for in house signings.  Would the submissions for in house signings suffer much if they were put on a level playing field with regular submissions?  I can't imagine that they would, and even if they did, they would probably more than make up for it with regular submissions that folks aren't sending in right now because the TATs are so ridiculous.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:55 AM, Sold! said:

Regular or Fast Track submissions? Because the SS signings are basically FT.

FT modern (including SS not done through an in house signing) has an estimated TAT of 48 business days right now.  That is over 9 weeks.  The TAT for in house signings is 6 weeks.  And FT modern pressing has an estimated TAT of 173 days.  So if you have a book that you would like to have pressed, there is a huge incentive to find an in house signing to get it done.  Plus, if you have multiples of a book and really only wanted one or two signed and the rest blue label, you still might get them all signed so that you don't have to wait so long to get them back.

They really have to fast track (unofficially or otherwise) SS so that people can resubmit for additional signatures if the opportunity arises.

I'm still waiting for a status update from my Terry Austin that was signed in the first week of March, but I hope/assume things will move quickly once the updates start. Still, a seller on Canada has had his books from the same signing out on ebay for over a week. 🤔

I also hope/expect that grades from the scuttled George Perez will also be expedited.

Edited by JBK
Correction

I have only participated in a few signature series events but the TAT are getting longer and longer.  The Chris Evans signing from almost a year ago was 2 months door to door (from the time I sent in the comic to the time it came back) which I thought was impressive.  The Olson/Bettany signing took longer at 3.5 months.  I sent in a blank sketch cover for the Stray Dogs signing and that one has been sitting there since September.  I overheard someone at a LCS talking about how they are waiting for their Stray Dogs sketch as well and apparently the books were being shipped out from CGC to the Artist and then back to CGC when complete.  I couldn't believe that.  That is a lot of unnecessary handling and an extra trip in the mail which will only increase the likelihood of damage taking place.  It is a bit of a gong show and these stated turn around times are false advertising.