• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I just bought a “cold” comic and I feel good about it.
2 2

25 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2022 at 6:34 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I slab them too.

I have an invisibles #1 coming back 8.0 lol

A flash 141 8.0

And a invincible 68 book 8.5

The nice thing about ice cold former spec books is that sometimes they get oversold as people are in a race to offload them and you can find a deal on a raw or slabbed book.

I hope this doesn’t take away from my point that I bought a cold book because I just wanted to own it and read it.  But I do remember times when you almost couldn’t give away early Batman or early Spiderman because the movie hype was over. 

On 4/2/2022 at 3:30 PM, Westy Steve said:

A couple of things lead to this: I’ve been reading a lot of Early Miles Morales and really enjoying Bendis’ writing. 

Meanwhile, I’ve been binge watching some of the old Netflix Marvel shows, including Jessica Jones, that recently moved over to the Disney channel. I’ve been binge watching Jessica Jones, having enjoyed it many years ago.

As I was watching it, I had my “eureka” moment, when I realized Alias was created by Bendis and Bendis himself was one of the producers. Made me realize I want to read the series.

So I just pulled the trigger on a CGC 9.2 copy of Alias #1 for a bargain price (wanted to “own” the character) and a TPB that collects the first 9 issues. Looking forward to comparing the storyline to the television show. They are probably very different.

So yeah, I went against the current trend of buying on speculation.   Bought an interesting key book that kicked off a cool storyline. Ice cold and happy.  

I did the same thing (well, what I did was buy a bunch of Jessica Jones books, and almost a full run of "Alias" here on the Boards) because I liked the show so much.  I doubt they'll ever be worth more than I paid, which I'm fine with.  I don't think you get into the "Murdercorpse" storyline until the Alias teens and it's quite different.  Alias is a fun read.

I also bought Alias #1 on the back of the TV show season #1 which was superb.

And this one:

image.png.b7745d12e2f9f2e8e2a521ec486310c4.png

Just seeking the elusive Ritter signing event now!

PS New Halo slab is seriously impressive

On 4/2/2022 at 6:17 PM, Beige said:

I also bought Alias #1 on the back of the TV show season #1 which was superb.

And this one:

image.png.b7745d12e2f9f2e8e2a521ec486310c4.png

Just seeking the elusive Ritter signing event now!

PS New Halo slab is seriously impressive

Is that company based in Australia?

On 4/3/2022 at 9:26 AM, JollyComics said:

Is that company based in Australia?

Yes mate

The Halo grading is iffy as all heck - one man band in a garage (literally) - but at $35 I pulled the trigger on this one on ebay.

The slab is heavy - but pretty much unbreakable (unless you do it deliberately) - I was impressed.

The rest of Halo - not so much lol

On 4/2/2022 at 6:33 PM, Beige said:

Yes mate

The Halo grading is iffy as all heck - one man band in a garage (literally) - but at $35 I pulled the trigger on this one on ebay.

The slab is heavy - but pretty much unbreakable (unless you do it deliberately) - I was impressed.

The rest of Halo - not so much lol

Interested.   Speaking of unbreakable, do you think that you can crack it open?

On 4/2/2022 at 6:30 PM, Westy Steve said:

A couple of things lead to this: I’ve been reading a lot of Early Miles Morales and really enjoying Bendis’ writing. 

Meanwhile, I’ve been binge watching some of the old Netflix Marvel shows, including Jessica Jones, that recently moved over to the Disney channel. I’ve been binge watching Jessica Jones, having enjoyed it many years ago.

As I was watching it, I had my “eureka” moment, when I realized Alias was created by Bendis and Bendis himself was one of the producers. Made me realize I want to read the series.

So I just pulled the trigger on a CGC 9.2 copy of Alias #1 for a bargain price (wanted to “own” the character) and a TPB that collects the first 9 issues. Looking forward to comparing the storyline to the television show. They are probably very different.

So yeah, I went against the current trend of buying on speculation.   Bought an interesting key book that kicked off a cool storyline. Ice cold and happy.  

Yes! Jessica jones is great

On 4/2/2022 at 7:57 PM, KCOComics said:

I thought the first season of JJ was the best of all the Netflix marvel shows. 

The second season I wasn't crazy about. 

The purple man story arc was freaking chilling. I know the purple man got his start in Daredevil #4.  
I would like to read his appearances also

On 4/2/2022 at 8:01 PM, Westy Steve said:

The purple man story arc was freaking chilling. I know the purple man got his start in Daredevil #4.  
I would like to read his appearances also

Totally agree! Purple Man was a fantastic villain!  I think part of the problem I had with season 2, was that season 1 was such a great story arc.  It just didn't leave much room for the story to continue. 

On 4/2/2022 at 4:41 PM, JollyComics said:

I purchased a halo slab a few months ago and had a bit harder time cracking it than I do cracking CGCs, but I was able to without damaging the book.

On 4/2/2022 at 3:30 PM, Westy Steve said:

Alias is great.  The show not so much-bad guy captures her, she escapes, she captures bad guy, he escapes-he captures her, she escapes, she captures him, he escapes, he captures her- 

On 4/3/2022 at 12:37 AM, kav said:

Alias is great.  The show not so much-bad guy captures her, she escapes, she captures bad guy, he escapes-he captures her, she escapes, she captures him, he escapes, he captures her- 

I get what you’re saying, but have you ever read a wiki on a comic book character and seen the impossibly long list of things that happened to just that one character?   It makes sense as it unfolds but the bullet point summary is laughable. 

On 4/3/2022 at 9:41 AM, JollyComics said:

Not without a great deal of effort. The outer case is welded shut and is 4mm thick