• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie grading issue
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Quick background, & thanks for the read: Recently found childhood Pokedex Card Binder withh ALL of the goodies from the baseset, trainer cards, etc. Very well kept and all cards sealed in soft sleeve within heavy binder sleeve.^^ 

2 years on, now just seeing replies (didn’t read anything to the end but I get the gist 😂😂).

Turns out I, like many new collectors out there, wildly mis valued my cards. Now being a bit more seasoned, I can say I’ve had nothing but the BEST service with CGC. If there ever happened to be an issue, they solved it right on the spot. 

Super glad I signed in and saw this, now much more informed. Sheesh.

Edited by Mojo's Dojo

Just looking at the photos of the card your talking about, the back of the card is clearly one area in why it got a grade of 5. There is so much whiting around the edges and corners I'm surprised it's not a lower grade.

You try to base the value of a card in its raw form. Don't try to guess a grade for a card and then a value. That's not how it works. Anything base set unlimited can be submitted under the bulk tier. 

Screenshot_20220404-035856_Chrome.jpg

Edited by HomeGrownPoke1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:07 AM, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

Just looking at the photos of the card your talking about, the back of the card is clearly one area in why it got a grade of 5. There is so much whiting around the edges and corners I'm surprised it's not a lower grade.

You try to base the value of a card in its raw form. Don't try to guess a grade for a card and then a value. That's not how it works. Anything base set unlimited can be submitted under the bulk tier. 

Screenshot_20220404-035856_Chrome.jpg

yah that could be a 5

On 4/3/2022 at 12:06 PM, Mojo's Dojo said:

Quick background, & thanks for the read: Recently found childhood Pokedex Card Binder withh ALL of the goodies from the baseset, trainer cards, etc. Very well kept and all cards sealed in soft sleeve within heavy binder sleeve.^^
Without a single doubt in my mind, I went to CGC (based on rec from a family friend whom I've gone card trading events with since I was a kid.)

I wanted to get the more rarer of cards submitted for grading first, ensuring it's in the best hands possible. Signed up and submitted a lightly played Base Set Charizard Holo. Excited and new to CGC's website and forums, checked my submission and its grading... A FIVE. Being realistic with the play level of card, I would have hoped to see a 7. I wildly misjudged the cards value on the "expected value" part of submission form, but hell, its MY FIRST TIME :tonofbricks:

Really hoping I didn't make a mistake becoming a CGC member, and the wild growth you're going through at the moment. I can't imagine how many of these instances/ submissions y'all go through.

Submission #4030310 order #CGC5052595670 shipped 3_23_22_#_30_22.jpg

I think many of us send in our first cards with unrealistic expectations. I agree with the other comments though that the amount of whitening was probably your issue. Even if the front was emaculate, that whitening on the back would drop it down pretty hard.