• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About a Stolen Book
1 1

6 posts in this topic

As some know, I had a significant burglary of comics a few years ago.  I was fortunate to get most back but there was a box or two that never got returned.  Over the last few months, someone has tried to register one of the stolen books repeatedly, and I have refused the transfer.  My question is:

Is there a way to completely block a book from being registered by another person so I don’t have to go through the weekly process of refusing the transfer?

FWIW, this is a ‘morals’ thing for me.  I’ve had others try to register a stolen book once but never multiple times.  Seems like perpetuating the theft.

I wonder if cgc could add something to their database indicating the book is stolen. if the registry identified stolen books there would be a greater chance of books being returned to rightful owners

maybe they'll work on this after TATs get under control :whistle:

The answer to my question is apparently CGC will go ahead and transfer a stolen book to the thief even if you decline the transfer.

Edited by cheetah

I mean assuming you have a related police report (and possibly other supporting evidence), is there some mechanism where CGC can (in conjunction with law enforcement) help you get your book back? Or are we past all that?

I mean if you believe this person bought the book in good faith, and you no longer have any aspirations of getting the book back, what do you think the ultimate outcome should be?  Should there be a temporary moratorium on adding the book to ANY registry?  A permanent one?  Should they be required to send in for a reholder and new #?

I don't think CGC can afford to make rulings with respect to accusations of theft, possession of stolen goods, etc.  But I'd love to see them help reunite folks with items stolen from them.

It would be nice if people could upload any serials they had stolen from them somewhere so the next buyer isn’t out of money if the stolen goods were to be confiscated.  It would add friction to selling such books (remove from encap, re-grade, and then sell, or force thief to sell as raw).

I’ve seen plenty of suspicious posts in Reddit or other social media about “I need to quickly sell this high value book that’s encapsulated, but I know nothing about comics or the venues where I could sell such a thing (not even eBay)”.

On 6/5/2022 at 4:41 PM, Abibliophobia said:

It would be nice if people could upload any serials they had stolen from them somewhere so the next buyer isn’t out of money if the stolen goods were to be confiscated.  It would add friction to selling such books (remove from encap, re-grade, and then sell, or force thief to sell as raw).

I’ve seen plenty of suspicious posts in Reddit or other social media about “I need to quickly sell this high value book that’s encapsulated, but I know nothing about comics or the venues where I could sell such a thing (not even eBay)”.

There used to be a site…

@ivegotneatstuff ?

Edited by steveinthecity