• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader notes

6 posts in this topic

When will CGC set a standard for grader notes? I find it increasingly frustrating that one grader will provide notes for a comic they grade as a 9.6 (I assume because they think I want to know why it did not grade as a 9.8. Yes, I do want to know) and, another grader who does NOT provide notes for a book they grade as 9.0 or 9.2 (I want to know why on these books too!) Clearly, some graders are overworked and do not have time to upload grader notes and others have a lot of time since they can provide notes for a 9.6. CGC really needs to pick a standard, maybe any book less the 30, or 20 years old should be required to get notes if it grades out less than 9.6. I have sent in several books recently that I thought would grade out at 9.8 or 9.6 at a minimum but are coming back as 9.0’s with no explanation whatsoever. Not a good load for CGC.

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your message.  Grader Notes are made at the graders' discretion; they are not a guaranteed part of the service but are provided as a courtesy to paid members and dealers when available. Often, they may not be entirely comprehensive or give a 100% accurate description of the defects and the notes vary from grader to grader. I understand it can be frustrating when there are no graders notes but keep in mind, even when there are notes, they may not list every defect that affected the grade.  Unfortunately, we do not have any current plans on changing the graders notes or how they are listed.  

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

On 4/4/2022 at 12:58 PM, acmeman said:

When will CGC set a standard for grader notes? I find it increasingly frustrating that one grader will provide notes for a comic they grade as a 9.6 (I assume because they think I want to know why it did not grade as a 9.8. Yes, I do want to know) and, another grader who does NOT provide notes for a book they grade as 9.0 or 9.2 (I want to know why on these books too!) Clearly, some graders are overworked and do not have time to upload grader notes and others have a lot of time since they can provide notes for a 9.6. CGC really needs to pick a standard, maybe any book less the 30, or 20 years old should be required to get notes if it grades out less than 9.6. I have sent in several books recently that I thought would grade out at 9.8 or 9.6 at a minimum but are coming back as 9.0’s with no explanation whatsoever. Not a good load for CGC.

🐷✈️

CGC has no incentive to give grader notes.  In fact, if they gave grader notes on every book it would trigger an onslaught of complaints to their customer service with people disputing the defects listed in the notes. Being Vague is key.  Plus Their Competition gives notes on every single non 9.8 book and they cannot grab any meaningful market share to save their lives.