• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone identify this female character. Possibly Western?
2 2

21 posts in this topic

This pewter figure was supposedly inspired by a femme fatale from a western comic.  The  owner thought the name was Blue Phantom but that was a Disney character from the 1960s.  

The figure looks fairly modern ,and is missing its base, which probably had some identification on it.  I'm looking for a cover featuring her if one exists. 

Can anyone id her?

image.thumb.jpg.39543d29bfa472f2c5094747e6bb1ff4.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.682c22b27be1f8f03bf8116621bc4ab1.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.682c22b27be1f8f03bf8116621bc4ab1.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.94bb159524a6bd9a0781b477c2443d63.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by shadroch

I thought of Black Phantom since Bill Black revived her in the AC Comics line and you mentioned it looked fairly modern.  Did they release figurines?  I was out of collecting then so I have no idea.  

It certainly looks like Calamity Kate like @MasterChief mentioned above too.

On 4/6/2022 at 4:11 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

My money is on Black Phantom.

img053.jpg

I'm leaning that way myself,but I'm looking for an image of her where she is wearing that sort of hat, a concho belt or the necklace. All the pictures I can find, GA or modern have her wearing a pistol belt and a traditional western hat, not what I called a modified fedora. 

On 4/6/2022 at 6:22 AM, shadroch said:

I'm leaning that way myself,but I'm looking for an image of her where she is wearing that sort of hat, a concho belt or the necklace. All the pictures I can find, GA or modern have her wearing a pistol belt and a traditional western hat, not what I called a modified fedora. 

I think it's the Femforce version of Black Phantom. The abundance of cleavage is a giveaway...

RCO001_1584369744.jpg

I agree. That is where I'm focusing as well. The figure looks modern and I doubt it is one of a kind so it is strange I can't find another one.  If Black and AC had released these figures, they should be somewhere on the net.  I'd forgotten how much fun Blacks books were.

Just hypothesis... but my reasons for thinking it may be a homemade creation -- the face, bent rifle, and overall appearance is rather crude, and is reminiscent of some early character figures put out in the '40s.  However, the plunging neckline is a more modern design and unlikely to have been put on a kid's toy in the '40s.  It looks like there are action-figure kind of joints that have been heavily painted over, as if it were adapted from another figure.  But then... if it's pewter, that wouldn't be the case?  I think it's supposed to be the Black Phantom... but the reason the costume doesn't match could also be the preference of a home designer as opposed to a licensed toy. (shrug)

So was the Black Phantom a direct swipe of Calamity Kate?  They seem awfully similar.  Calamity Kate 1st appearance looks like April 1950 (Westerner #26) and Black Phantom 1st appearance is listed as Sep 1952 (Tim Holt #25).  I guess neither character made that big of a splash, so maybe it's irrelevant.  But interesting to see two nearly identical characters pop up around the same timeframe.     

On 4/7/2022 at 2:45 PM, CrocHntr said:

So was the Black Phantom a direct swipe of Calamity Kate?  They seem awfully similar.  Calamity Kate 1st appearance looks like April 1950 (Westerner #26) and Black Phantom 1st appearance is listed as Sep 1952 (Tim Holt #25).  I guess neither character made that big of a splash, so maybe it's irrelevant.  But interesting to see two nearly identical characters pop up around the same timeframe.     

It's likely they were both inspired by Senorita Scorpion, who began appearing in the pulps in 1944 (web image):

dff153fb76d95aeb0244f33f465caad6.jpg

Yes, certainly makes sense to me that the Lone Ranger is the primary inspiration.  I'd never seen the Senorita Scorpion pulp though, and that seems to have furthered the prototype for the female version of the masked western gun toting character.  Both influences probably led to the creation of the Calamity Kate and Black Phantom characters.

Great insight.  Thx.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, tth2 said:

Seems to me they were female versions of the Lone Ranger.

Undoubtedly (though I think Senorita Scorpion may have operated on the wrong side of the law).  Common practice back then.  Sheena was a female Tarzan.  Wonder Woman was a female Superman.  Etc.