• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings - Options for a buyer on Ebay
2 2

67 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm fairly new to buying slabs and have recently bought a UF4 9.6 on ebay.

It was delivered fine and the condition of the case was fine. The problem was the newton rings covering a small section (maybe 1inch x 1inch) right in the middle of the front cover.

It's been 3 weeks since I got back from holiday and only just saw this. There was no note of this in the advertisment whatsoever.

Does anyone know if I have any recourse through Ebay?

Thanks

James

Edited by James42

I don't think so and if I were ebay I would not approve of a claim if you submitted one based on the info provided

you can work with the seller to see if they will offer you any kind of refund but again I would not expect one and would not offer one if I were the seller

you can try your luck and pay for a reholder with CGC or submit to another grading company if the defect bothers you but given it looks like you are in Australia, probably not worth your effort and cost and there is no guarantee the reholder will improve things (with CGC)

or you can just live with it like most of us do

On 4/7/2022 at 2:55 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

I don't think so and if I were ebay I would not approve of a claim if you submitted one based on the info provided

you can work with the seller to see if they will offer you any kind of refund but again I would not expect one and would not offer one if I were the seller

you can try your luck and pay for a reholder with CGC or submit to another grading company if the defect bothers you but given it looks like you are in Australia, probably not worth your effort and cost and there is no guarantee the reholder will improve things (with CGC)

or you can just live with it like most of us do

Thanks for the response.

If you are a seller, aren't you supposed to flag any defects a slab might have?

On 4/7/2022 at 12:12 AM, James42 said:

Thanks for the response.

If you are a seller, aren't you supposed to flag any defects a slab might have?

best honest effort yes, but a 1"x1" Newton Ring defect is something that may not be obviously visible to all people so I don't know that I can fault the seller for not disclosing .... it is also more than likely small enough that it would be within CGC's acceptable levels to not qualify for a mechanical error reholder

what is the link to the auction listing?  how many pics of the book were provided and what was the picture quality, if many and good it is obviously something you missed as well in your due diligence

does the seller offer a return policy?

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

On 4/7/2022 at 3:20 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

best honest effort yes, but a 1"x1" Newton Ring defect is something that may not be obviously visible to all people so I don't know that I can fault the seller for not disclosing .... it is also more than likely small enough that it would be within CGC's acceptable levels to not qualify for a mechanical error reholder

what is the link to the auction listing?  how many pics of the book were provided and what was the picture quality, if many and good it is obviously something you missed as well in your due diligence

does the seller offer a return policy?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ULTIMATE-FALLOUT-4-CGC-9-6-1-st-Appearance-Miles-Morales-SpiderMan-3990312001-/203832379027?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

When I looked through the pictures I couldn't see any defects. The cert number checked out and negotiation was smooth.

To be honest, the advertisement seemed fairly standard, so there were no red flags.

Could the newton rings have appeared because of poor shipping? Can a comic ever move whilst inside a slab or something?

For the life of me, I can't spot them in the photo. 

Edited by James42

On 4/7/2022 at 3:57 PM, Galen130 said:

Newton rings are considered ‘normal’.  Not every seller will state that the slab has them.  The rings we’re most likely already there.  It’s your slab now.  The best you can hope for is a reholder to correct it, but even then it’s not 100% that it won’t happen again.  My opinion, of course. (shrug)

Thanks for the input 👍👍

well the seller does have a 30 day return policy so if you are unhappy you can request a return and pay return shipping if approved if you are within that window of 30 days of receipt but it sounds like you might be on the edge or just outside of that timeframe

I don't sense any malicious intent by the seller, as noted Newton Rings can be hard to spot at certain angles and the seller may not have even been aware of their existence especially at the size noted  .... does that make them less annoying once you spot them?, no, but it's still an issue CGC has not solved with their current slabs 

honestly, I'd just accept the book as it is if I were you 

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

That's very inappropriate.  As other's have said Newton Rings are hard to spot and with the certification number, this was slabbed after the original problem was addressed at CGC.  

What will you do if it comes back from CGC and you judge it to have defects in the case (rings, micro-scratch, etc.)?  

Keep in mind Newton's ring isn't a problem with the comic book. The comic book is absolutely fine and as described and the comic book is what you bought. 

The case that holds the comic has a fairly common blemish that you could get reholdered if it really bothers you. 

Leaving negative feedback doesn't seem appropriate in this situation and probably hurts your ability to reach an amicable solution. 

On 4/7/2022 at 1:45 AM, James42 said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ULTIMATE-FALLOUT-4-CGC-9-6-1-st-Appearance-Miles-Morales-SpiderMan-3990312001-/203832379027?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

When I looked through the pictures I couldn't see any defects. The cert number checked out and negotiation was smooth.

To be honest, the advertisement seemed fairly standard, so there were no red flags.

Could the newton rings have appeared because of poor shipping? Can a comic ever move whilst inside a slab or something?

For the life of me, I can't spot them in the photo. 

What's your ebay username?

I'd be more worried about that chuck out on the right side.  You can't even see the thing in the pictures so I'm not sure why you're upset enough to leave negative feedback and complain on a public forum.  The seller certainly won't help you out now on this or in the future.

If the seller offers returns, you have no right leaving negative feedback for an issue that is not on a seller. Should they have noticed this? Sure but again, it is an issue that sometimes you don't see in the perfect light. The book inside is not affected and if I were a seller in such an instance, I would offer a $30 refund tops (to cover the cost of the buyer wanting to reslab it in hopes of not getting rings on a new case). That, or tell them to send it back. That should be a more than acceptable option and should make a buyer happy. If it does not, I would not want to deal with such buyers. 

Newton rings are as common as X-Force 1's.  They are a way of life with CGC slabs and like other's mentioned "normal". 

I would hate you as a eBay buyer for putting negative feedback for something as nitpicky as that.   Not cool. Not cool at all. 

Edited by Bluemedgroup

No book with a Newton Ring should ever leave CGC's facility.  It is not an act of nature, it is a design flaw.  I currently own over 200 slabs and not one of them has a Newton problem.  It is a horrible defect that affects a books value and the people who don't hold CGC responsible are as much to blame as the geniuses who designed it.

The only way to avoid the chronic problem that are Newton's rings is to avoid CGC slabbed books. CBCS does not seem to have those issues so there is a choice. If everyone who receives a book with rings sends it back perhaps they will consider changing things?

To leave negative feedback given the small section of rings on slab were not likley seen by the seller are the actions of someone who is needlessly petty and vindictive.

Edited by MAR1979

I wouldn't have left a neg for the seller unless he refused to take it back.  There is also no way I would keep that book. 

As I've stated many times- If you keep lowering your expectations, CGC will eventually meet them. 

On 4/7/2022 at 12:31 AM, James42 said:

Hi,

I'm fairly new to buying slabs and have recently bought a UF4 9.6 on ebay.

It was delivered fine and the condition of the case was fine. The problem was the newton rings covering a small section (maybe 1inch x 1inch) right in the middle of the front cover.

It's been 3 weeks since I got back from holiday and only just saw this. There was no note of this in the advertisment whatsoever.

Does anyone know if I have any recourse through Ebay?

Thanks

James

Newton rings are a slab defect and that is a fact that shouldnt be argued at this point.

Could you see it in the pics?

Was it noted in the description?

If no and no, you can return it through Ebay... NO PROBLEM.

Ive sold slabs on Ebay and ive ALWAYS noted if there are newton rings because its the right thing to do.

Id also like to add that I have NEVER left a seller negative feedback.

Edited by lostboys

On 4/7/2022 at 1:57 AM, Galen130 said:

Newton rings are considered ‘normal’.  Not every seller will state that the slab has them.  The rings we’re most likely already there.  It’s your slab now.  The best you can hope for is a reholder to correct it, but even then it’s not 100% that it won’t happen again.  My opinion, of course. (shrug)

^^