• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings - Options for a buyer on Ebay
2 2

67 posts in this topic

James, 

1) it's not a "defect", it's a CGC case. When you buy one, assume they are there.  Like someone said, for CGC they are normal. And no, they didn't happen during transportation. 

2) he didn't mention them because either he didn't notice, or he knew it would be harder to sell/sell for less. No one wants them. I don't blame him. 

3) if you want them gone you can resubmit and cross your fingers and hope it doesn't come back with some other common defect, or submit to CBCS where you won't get Newton Rings. 

4) your feedback was premature if you're still hoping the seller will work with you.  If you get lucky, and he does, remove the feedback.  Or he can easily have eBay remove it if you don't. 

On 4/7/2022 at 8:52 AM, MAR1979 said:

If everyone who receives a book with rings sends it back perhaps they will consider changing things?

That might work if CGC was fixing the problem at their own expense, but as I understand it, if you want it reholdered for Newton rings, you're paying for it yourself--no motivation for CGC to change something that brings them additional business.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:09 AM, Ryan. said:

What's your ebay username?

Hi, James,

I agree with others that giving negative feedback is completely inappropriate for a buyer who sent you exactly what you ordered and who also offers returns.   Are you aware that your negative feedback can have a significant impact on a seller's ability to sell on eBay?  

Would you be willing to disclose your eBay username?  As I seller, I strive to make sure my customers are happy.  As a human, I have been known to make mistakes.  I'd rather not sell to people who have demonstrated that they would rather damage my ability to sell than give me an opportunity to fix my mistake, so I intend to block you if I can find out your username, from you or from the seller. 

To be clear, I'm not saying that the seller made a mistake here.  I'm just saying that your behavior as a buyer seems to indicate an unwillingness to allow for mistakes, and that's a risk I prefer not to take on as a seller.

Thanks!

Steve

On 4/7/2022 at 11:48 AM, Axe Elf said:

That might work if CGC was fixing the problem at their own expense, but as I understand it, if you want it reholdered for Newton rings, you're paying for it yourself--no motivation for CGC to change something that brings them additional business.

CGC fixes many of these (not all) at their expense (man hours, materials, shipping both ways, reputation)

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

On 4/7/2022 at 11:56 AM, StillOnly25Cents said:

CGC fixes many of these (not all) at their expense (man hours, materials, shipping both ways)

Then I stand corrected.  I was under the impression that Newton rings were not considered enough of a defect to be corrected at CGC's expense, but I have no personal experience with it.

Request a return online or, call eBay. You only have a limited time frame. So I would recommend sooner than later.

Ship ASAP.

Request a feedback revision. Leave a positive rating with a note such as

‘had to return but seller gladly worked with me & the process went smoothly’

Contact the seller.

State what happened. 

— 

Hope this helps.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:32 AM, Sigur Ros said:

James, 

1) it's not a "defect", it's a CGC case. When you buy one, assume they are there.  Like someone said, for CGC they are normal. And no, they didn't happen during transportation. 

2) he didn't mention them because either he didn't notice, or he knew it would be harder to sell/sell for less. No one wants them. I don't blame him. 

3) if you want them gone you can resubmit and cross your fingers and hope it doesn't come back with some other common defect, or submit to CBCS where you won't get Newton Rings. 

4) your feedback was premature if you're still hoping the seller will work with you.  If you get lucky, and he does, remove the feedback.  Or he can easily have eBay remove it if you don't. 

1)It's not a defect?  Is it supposed to happen? Does CGC possess secret technology that the other companies don't have? Fixing the NR problem in the first generation slabs was simple. Not now ,though.  The new CGC slab eliminated the well known cure for newton rings.  If slabs were regulated, CGC would be recalling every one of their new slabs.

2) If it isn't a defect, why doesn't anyone want them 

3) Isn't one of the definitions of insanity doing the same thing over and over and hoping for different results?

4) We are in agreement here.

On 4/7/2022 at 3:57 PM, shadroch said:

3) Isn't one of the definitions of insanity doing the same thing over and over and hoping for different results?

No; that's the definition of fishing.

On 4/8/2022 at 12:10 AM, lostboys said:

Newton rings are a slab defect and that is a fact that shouldnt be argued at this point.

Could you see it in the pics?

Was it noted in the description?

If no and no, you can return it through Ebay... NO PROBLEM.

Ive sold slabs on Ebay and ive ALWAYS noted if there are newton rings because its the right thing to do.

Id also like to add that I have NEVER left a seller negative feedback.

I'm willing to remove the negative feedback, that's no problem, but I just don't appreciate people being upfront about stuff like this. This is a very expensive item with additional costs like import duty (something the people from the US rarely need to pay).

Literally this is the whole point of feedback. If you don't provide a good or service stated in the advertisement, why would I not give negative feedback?

On 4/7/2022 at 2:44 PM, James42 said:

I'm willing to remove the negative feedback, that's no problem, but I just don't appreciate people being upfront about stuff like this. This is a very expensive item with additional costs like import duty (something the people from the US rarely need to pay).

Literally this is the whole point of feedback. If you don't provide a good or service stated in the advertisement, why would I not give negative feedback?

You should give the person a chance to fix the problem before you neg them. 

On 4/7/2022 at 4:58 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

well the seller does have a 30 day return policy so if you are unhappy you can request a return and pay return shipping if approved if you are within that window of 30 days of receipt but it sounds like you might be on the edge or just outside of that timeframe

I don't sense any malicious intent by the seller, as noted Newton Rings can be hard to spot at certain angles and the seller may not have even been aware of their existence especially at the size noted  .... does that make them less annoying once you spot them?, no, but it's still an issue CGC has not solved with their current slabs 

honestly, I'd just accept the book as it is if I were you 

Thanks for the response. Appreciate it. I'm willing to be reasonable about this.

I am genuinely concerned about how many people in this thread think this behaviour is acceptable though. 

I don't think there malicious intent either but that's irrelevant if there's a defect. Much like if you buy a piece of clothing, if there's a hole in it, you return it or ask the reason for the defect. This is a consumer right and should de defended.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:47 AM, shadroch said:

You should give the person a chance to fix the problem before you neg them. 

Thats okay. I can remove the negative feedback. 

On 4/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, James42 said:

I don't think there malicious intent either but that's irrelevant if there's a defect. Much like if you buy a piece of clothing, if there's a hole in it, you return it or ask the reason for the defect. This is a consumer right and should de defended.

good thing you aren't buying raw books 

On 4/8/2022 at 4:41 AM, FrontStands said:

Remove, or change the negative feedback if possible.
Keep the book, I'd hate to receive a return request, and a neg after 3 weeks. 

Thats cool. I can do that. I've never had an issue with an item before so this is a first for me. I'll take it down

On 4/7/2022 at 11:52 PM, MAR1979 said:

The only way to avoid the chronic problem that are Newton's rings is to avoid CGC slabbed books. CBCS does not seem to have those issues so there is a choice. If everyone who receives a book with rings sends it back perhaps they will consider changing things?

To leave negative feedback given the small section of rings on slab were not likley seen by the seller are the actions of someone who is needlessly petty and vindictive.

Calm down. This is the first ever defect / issue I've ever had on ebay. There is nothing vindictive about it. This is not something I believe can be missed but am willing to give the benefit of the doubt and take the negative feedback down.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:17 AM, Mosh It Up said:

I can't imagine what a PITA he'd be if he did :facepalm:

I've bought plenty of raw books. This cost a lot of money plus import charges. I hope you can understand the disappointment. Like I said, I'm taking the negative feedback down based on the responses here.

I will say, most people I thank for their feedback but your response is just childish. I don't think I've been unreasonable with my thoughts.

Maybe I've jumped the gun and left negative feedback too quickly but this can be changed. It's not like I've shot the seller or something. Let's put this in perspective.

On 4/8/2022 at 2:49 AM, SOTIcollector said:

Hi, James,

I agree with others that giving negative feedback is completely inappropriate for a buyer who sent you exactly what you ordered and who also offers returns.   Are you aware that your negative feedback can have a significant impact on a seller's ability to sell on eBay?  

Would you be willing to disclose your eBay username?  As I seller, I strive to make sure my customers are happy.  As a human, I have been known to make mistakes.  I'd rather not sell to people who have demonstrated that they would rather damage my ability to sell than give me an opportunity to fix my mistake, so I intend to block you if I can find out your username, from you or from the seller. 

To be clear, I'm not saying that the seller made a mistake here.  I'm just saying that your behavior as a buyer seems to indicate an unwillingness to allow for mistakes, and that's a risk I prefer not to take on as a seller.

Thanks!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Based on the extreme reaction here, I'm taking down the negative feedback. I wasn't aware of there being serious implications to the seller. I've never had an issue with an ebay item, ever. I'm not a seller on ebay so I only know one side.

This was nothing vindictive. Ebay just asked me for my feedback and I gave it. I've spoken to the seller to rectify this.

The reason for posting on the cgc forums was for feedback. I've got it now and will adjust accordingly.

I'm surprised how aggressive people are with their responses though. Jesus Christ, I'm not Putin.