• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newton Rings - Options for a buyer on Ebay
2 2

67 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2022 at 6:53 PM, James42 said:

This is now rectified with the seller. 

Thanks for those who gave constructive responses. I really appreciate it.

James - I'm glad this all worked out.  

Once the avalanche of feedback came in, I figured we would never hear from you again, so I appreciate that you took the time to respond and everything worked out between you and the seller. 

For the record, I can empathize with you. After many years of waiting for one of my favorite covers, I finally pulled the trigger on a copy only to see some ugly NR. 

It was disappointing, but it's a rare book and I'm not going to risk sending it in or wait for the TATs. 

IMG_20220102_103720850.jpg

On 4/7/2022 at 7:15 PM, KCOComics said:

Once the avalanche of feedback came in, I figured we would never hear from you again, so I appreciate that you took the time to respond and everything worked out between you and the seller. 

For the record, I can empathize with you. After many years of waiting for one of my favorite covers, I finally pulled the trigger on a copy only to see some ugly NR. 

It was disappointing, but it's a rare book and I'm not going to risk sending it in or wait for the TATs. 

Seriously where?  I don't even see rings.  Let me dig thru my collection and find some fine specimen Newton's lol.  

On 4/7/2022 at 8:35 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

Seriously where?  I don't even see rings.  Let me dig thru my collection and find some fine specimen Newton's lol.  

It's hard to see in pictures. I'll dig it out and take a better photo of just the NR. 

I didn't see it at all in the listing. 

On 4/8/2022 at 10:15 AM, KCOComics said:

No problem. I'm always willing to hear feedback and it was clearly in favour of the seller. That was the whole point of the thread.

These grey areas of selling and buying are difficult to navigate. I was really surprised how triggered people got though. There was no need for 'blocking' and name calling.

Once I spoke the seller, he calmed down and we worked it out. 

For future reference, are newton rings considered official defects?

I saw some people say they weren't and some that did.

I'm curious as I intend to buy more slabs and want to be a bit more informed.

Thanks

Edited by James42

On 4/7/2022 at 7:53 PM, James42 said:

No problem. I'm always willing to hear feedback and it was clearly in favour of the seller. That was the whole point of the thread.

These grey areas of selling and buying are difficult to navigate. I was really surprised how triggered people got though. There was no need for 'blocking' and name calling.

Once I spoke the seller, he calmed down and we worked it out. 

It's just that most of us are probably sellers on eBay.  I've spent years buying and selling on eBay and am now at almost 3000+ feedback.  All it takes is 1 negative feedback and it makes you a blemished 99%.X instead of the perfect 100%.  

My guess is CGC/Blackstone Tactical Opportunities  knows exactly what the cause of the Newtons Rings are and exactly the cost to fix it. They also know that only a small percentage will be returned.  Thus nothing is done. 

As for reputation they know they have no serious competition* and Blackstone is not in this for the long haul. They will drain what they can make CGC look attractive on the balance sheet, sell it and skedaddle .

*For CBCS defenders regardless of your opinion the fact remains CGC slabbed books carry a significant premium over equally graded CBCS. As long as that is the case they are not serious competition. The only true answer is another company to break onto the scene then play the long game by being so strict with grading it hurts, have lower pricing, and fast turn-around, then very slowly they will take the lead. Still that is a long game and they will surely lose money their first 3-5 years perhaps longer. Until then we can all enjoy BTO giving us a metaphorical middle finger.

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/7/2022 at 8:08 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

All it takes is 1 negative feedback and it makes you a blemished 99%.X instead of the perfect 100%.

Do you get perks as a seller for maintaining 100% positive feedback--lower rates or something?  Or is it just a pride thing?  (I've never sold anything online, so honest question.)

Honestly, as a buyer, a 99.6% positive feedback rate doesn't really deter me or anything, especially at a high volume like 3000 feedbacks.  With that many transactions, I figure you're bound to interact with a jerk or two somewhere along the line, no matter how good your products and service are.  In a sense, the perfect 100% almost seems fake at that level, like they must be paying off people to remove negative feedback or something (not a personal accusation, just one possible explanation for a statistical anomaly).  Heck, even an honest 98.4% seems more realistic than 100% at that volume; it's only when it's like under 95% that it starts to get sketchy...

On 4/7/2022 at 8:23 PM, Axe Elf said:

Do you get perks as a seller for maintaining 100% positive feedback--lower rates or something?  Or is it just a pride thing?  (I've never sold anything online, so honest question.)

Honestly, as a buyer, a 99.6% positive feedback rate doesn't really deter me or anything, especially at a high volume like 3000 feedbacks.  With that many transactions, I figure you're bound to interact with a jerk or two somewhere along the line, no matter how good your products and service are.  In a sense, the perfect 100% almost seems fake at that level, like they must be paying off people to remove negative feedback or something (not a personal accusation, just one possible explanation for a statistical anomaly).  Heck, even an honest 98.4% seems more realistic than 100% at that volume; it's only when it's like under 95% that it starts to get sketchy...

No perks.  Definitely all pride.  I guess a similar analogy is you could be the nicest guy at your workplace.  For years everyone is like "Axe Elf is the best in the business".  You work hard to maintain your good guy reputation.  Then one day you make a mistake.  And they suddenly the entire office calls you a "d*ick" and forgets your past 10 years on the job.  

On 4/7/2022 at 9:23 PM, Axe Elf said:

Power Sellers and large volume sellers are "rewarded" with lower eBay closing fees for 100%.  I avoid sellers who have large amounts of feedback and are under 99.9 and rarely patronize even those with 99.9.  The only times I've broken that rule I have had humdingers type issues. Not to say all is good with larger 100% feedback sellers either....

Most buyers even today do not feel good about giving negative feedback. My OPINION  for every 1 negative feedback, there are 4 others who decided just not to leave any at all. That of course does not apply to infrequent sellers they are much harder to gauge and I will always avoid if lower than 100

Edited by MAR1979

On 4/7/2022 at 8:31 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

Then one day you make a mistake.  And they suddenly the entire office calls you a "d*ick" and forgets your past 10 years on the job.  

LOL

Ok, but how likely is THAT to happen?  If I worked for a place that would turn their back on someone for one mistake, I'd find another place to work very quickly.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:32 PM, MAR1979 said:

for every 1 negative feedback, there are 4 others who decided just not to leave any at all.

True, but the same goes for someone who has 0 negative feedback; there could still be 4 or 5 who wouldn't buy from the same seller again, but just din't feel like posting about it.

So to me there's really no meaningful difference between the 100% and the 98.4%, other than that the 100% seems more likely to have been manipulated somehow.  It's just too darn weird to do business with 3000 normal selfish humans, and not have someone walk away disgruntled--no matter HOW good your products and services are.

On 4/8/2022 at 11:37 AM, Axe Elf said:

True, but the same goes for someone who has 0 negative feedback; there could still be 4 or 5 who wouldn't buy from the same seller again, but just din't feel like posting about it.

So to me there's really no meaningful difference between the 100% and the 98.4%, other than that the 100% seems more likely to have been manipulated somehow.  It's just too darn weird to do business with 3000 normal selfish humans, and not have someone walk away disgruntled--no matter HOW good your products and services are.

In all honesty, the only reason I posted negatively was because this was my biggest ever comic book purchase and felt like I'd been wronged (even in a small way). I suppose it's a grey area as most people have stated. If it were a $100 purchase, I wouldn't have cared.

I probably should have just contaced him first though.

Edited by James42