• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn around times on Comic Mags
1 1

5 posts in this topic

At the Lexington KY comic con a few weeks ago I submitted some of my most valuable TMNT books to be signed cleaned & graded. Now I'm seeing that the returns could be 8 months or more. Can someone give some details as to what takes so much longer for a magazine or large format comic, and if anything can be done to reduce the turnaround time?

On 4/8/2022 at 10:51 AM, KYSS said:

At the Lexington KY comic con a few weeks ago I submitted some of my most valuable TMNT books to be signed cleaned & graded. Now I'm seeing that the returns could be 8 months or more. Can someone give some details as to what takes so much longer for a magazine or large format comic, and if anything can be done to reduce the turnaround time?

Welcome to the boards!! (and even better, the magazine section!)

My understanding is that for standard submissions, TATs for both comics and mags are about the same (5-12 months).  But if someone else knows more, feel free to correct me.  It's an awful thing to have to wait that long.  Here's a thread from a few other board members for more information.  

On 4/8/2022 at 11:51 AM, KYSS said:

You could have done fast track. Costs more of course. 

And you are also right that turn around times almost across the board are much longer for magazines than comics. I'm not sure there has ever been an official CGC response to this, but a common theory is that the same encapsulation machines are used for both comics and magazines and they have to update the machines so they don't do it that often. Or something like that. 

Modern Comic 125 days

Modern Magazine 225 days

Economy Comic 212 days

Economy Magazine 217 days

Standard Comic 46 days

Standard Magazine 83 days

On 4/8/2022 at 12:34 PM, wombat said:
On 4/8/2022 at 11:51 AM, KYSS said:

You could have done fast track. Costs more of course. 

Scratch that. I don't even see fast track listed for magazines. I think you used to be able to.