• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOCKED - OP request - CLOSED MODS PLEASE REMOVE IF POSSIBLE
5 5

134 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2022 at 5:44 PM, Ryan. said:

So two people looked at a raw book, determined it was a 9.0, and after a press it came back a 6.0? Something is missing in this chain of events. Either the book was damaged in the press or other handling, or both parties are bad graders. 

That's kind of where I am. If both parties thought the book was a 9.0, should Roger be held accountable for the CGC grade? 

After it changed hands multiple times? 

On 4/9/2022 at 4:47 PM, Roger66 said:

Hello, 

Here is my initial response.  I never agreed to pay David $2,800.00 to recoup his stated loss here, however, I trust him that this is the dollar amount he believes will make him whole from what turned out to be a unbalanced trade that was in-fact concluded in February of 2021 - over 13 months ago

What truly concerns me in addition to the age of this trade and the late notices that followed (he 1st texted me about the CV4's post press & CGC grade in September - over 6 months after receipt of the book)  - was what followed on his end after he received my raw books, which I believe(d) were in fact the grades I gave them and which I assumed David agreed with upon his initial inspection prior to his submitting them and his sending off the CV4 for a press. 

What I don't like about this situation is that one book (the Baker) despite its' cover hanging on was in fact acknowledged as still hanging on when David received it and mailed it to CGC - thus it was damaged by a third party.  What I also don't like is that the CV4, which I believe David agreed with my grade-call despite any reservations - was how it was possibly pressed - yes it came back a low 6.0 but was it pressed badly (?) and damaged I have to earnestly wonder... here are the grader notes provided to me by David that stated "multiple tiny hole spine - wear spine."  I remember no tiny holes in the spine when I had it in hand - none. 

David then auctioned one or more of these books to recoup money at the end of 2021 and when he advised me of the final hammer prices - we both agreed that the prices seemed too low.  Regarding the Fighting Yank, which was a CGC graded book - I don't think it was cracked and graded on his end because if memory serves me correct I saw it on Superworld's site at a price less than we both initially valued it at at the start of the trade. 

I am sorry about how this trade turned out for David and I did offer to buy some of his existing raw comics at prices I would never ordinarily pay for them just to help him recoup some money but that did not work out because his asking prices were just too high for me.  I like David very much (I still do despite this) and our past history prior to this trade was stellar. If you don't know David - he is a wonderful individual.  I am more then willing to have a 3rd party on the Boards moderate this privately and see what his or her opinion is too.  There is more I can and will add but I will start with this - I did not misrepresent the raw grades (and I am sure David knows that) and 2 of my raw books may have in fact been damaged by a third party after they left David's hand. Is that my burden to bear? Thank you. 

Sincerely yours,

Roger 

You completely misrepresented them as evidenced in the texts and you know it.

On 4/9/2022 at 5:48 PM, Diamonddave said:

No, I had reservations from the beginning, and I asked for reassurance from Roger66. He reassured me and said if it came back lower he would make it right. 

This was a difficult path to pursue. 

On 4/9/2022 at 4:49 PM, KCOComics said:

That's kind of where I am. If both parties thought the book was a 9.0, should Roger be held accountable for the CGC grade? 

After it changed hands multiple times? 

It did not change hands multiple times, it never left my sight until it went to CGC and it was not damaged in shipping or  GC would have said so.

On 4/9/2022 at 5:51 PM, Diamonddave said:

You completely misrepresented them as evidenced in the texts and you know it.

David - I respectfully disagree.  I addressed this just now and I would ask anyone to moderate our disagreement by fully hearing each of us out.  Best, Roger

On 4/9/2022 at 4:52 PM, Roger66 said:

David - I respectfully disagree.  I addressed this just now and I would ask anyone to moderate our disagreement by fully hearing each of us out.  Best, Roger

You all but guaranteed a vf/NM, did you not read the texts? Those are your words not mine. 

On 4/9/2022 at 4:53 PM, Ryan. said:

At what point does a buyer take acceptance of a book and thus some accountability for its grade?

Not the question here, the issue is the fact that I was guaranteed satisfaction which has not been produced. 

On 4/9/2022 at 5:56 PM, Diamonddave said:
On 4/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, Ryan. said:

Knowingly submitting a lesser grade book to then pursue a refund .

I did nothing of the sort. I asked Roger multiple time to confirm the grade before it was ever shipped.

And then reality happens. You saw the book. Your presser saw the book. What did you assess the grade at?

On 4/9/2022 at 5:56 PM, Diamonddave said:

I did nothing of the sort. I asked Roger multiple time to confirm the grade before it was ever shipped.

What did you grade the book at?

On 4/9/2022 at 5:08 PM, wombat said:

You lose me right here. You should have initiated a return right here. At the very least you should have agreed up front what the compensation would be for a lower grade. 

As you can see from the texts I did try to do that. 

Edited by Diamonddave