• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion on Chaykin signing?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Wondering if anyone has an option on having Chaykin sign my copies of Marvel Super Action 1 and Marvel Preview 2. Both are in at least NM condition IMO. Despite these being key issues for the backup story on Dominic Fortune by Chaykin, I suspect 99% of collectors desire these for the early Punisher appearances. The MSA has a nice sketch back cover by Chaykin that would be a nice spot for a remarque and sig. I feel like a lot of these old magazines present a such a dilemma because of the multiple stories. I strongly prefer key creators as signers, which is kind of the case for these two books and kind of not. Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

I would only do this if I absolutely loved the Dominic Fortune stories.  Because (if you are worried about the future marketability of the books) there are some for whom any signature is a no-go, and some SS fans who will not really be seeking Chaykin out on that book.

It is kind of the inverse of the Logan's Run 6 issue - where there is a small Mike Zeck Thanos back-up story in the back of an otherwise, pretty blah book. So you get a Zeck SS on it and it is pretty cool.  Your two magazines are cool for the very early Punisher appearances, and i think that cuts against getting them Chaykin SS'd unless you are really a huge fan of the Back-up feature.

Thanks. I'm not that worried about the future marketability per se b/c I'll either be very old or dead when the collection is liquidated lol but I am still gauging SS vs regular CGC as a way to "archive" my most collectable books.

I hear what you're saying about the backup stories. I was disappointed they had to cancel the Perez signing b/c a SS Astonishing Tales 25 (a book I purchased +20 years ago) with his first work would be cool to have. I think the back cover sign (+remarque) on Marvel Super Action might be worth it. He does have the Punisher in that sketch and it's less of a key Punisher issue than the Marvel Preview (also it wouldn't mar the painted front cover). Star Wars #1 is a slam dunk selection and I have an Adventure Into Fear #10. As far as I can tell, the only Man-Thing her penciled and that's a personal favorite B-list character for me.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:29 AM, scburdet said:

Thanks. I'm not that worried about the future marketability per se b/c I'll either be very old or dead when the collection is liquidated lol

Would recommend getting the IDW Chayking Artist Edition signed, as it reproduces early Star Wars covers and the first Star Wars one-sheet movie poster design (pre-Brothers Hildebrandt) in huge format. Good for personal collection but does not fit SS slab.