• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW 9.7 Grade coming!
2 2

38 posts in this topic

I think we should cap grades at 9.4.

If a book is exceptional it can be a 9.4+.

We know a 9.8 today could be graded a 9.6 tomorrow and vice versa. 9.4s aren't all that different than the higher grades either.

Edited by grendelbo

When I started collecting again a few years ago I remember thinking the .2 increments above 9.0 was ridiculous.  I'm used to it now but don't see why they didn't follow trading card grading.  Sure there will be really nice looking 9.5's compared to others but that makes more sense to me.  Also...  CPR's probably wouldn't happen as often with high grade books.  But any discussion regarding the alteration of a grading scale is moot.  It will never happen, nor will any competitor be able to enter this space with such a grading scale.

Progress may be slow, but you long time collectors saw it firsthand when talking about changes in grading comics whether it be the use and types of grades, the introduction of the grading industry, terms like restoration conserved qualified and probably many more things.

I don't know about a 9.7 grade or what change will be next, but I do like consistency.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:00 AM, comicquant said:

nor will any competitor be able to enter this space with such a grading scale.

Why? I'm not doubting you, I genuinely don't know why.

On 4/11/2022 at 12:51 PM, Gaard said:

Why? I'm not doubting you, I genuinely don't know why.

Its obviously a speculative remark but what I think people fail to realize is changing a grading scale changes the value structure of graded comics.  Every time we value a graded comic (CGC, PGX, CBCS) we do so against a known and widely accepted grading system.  A new grading scale introduces an entirely new and unsupported value structure.  To enter a market with a new grading scale, especially one further nuanced than what currently is the norm, is a flop in the making.

Edited by comicquant

On 4/12/2022 at 3:55 PM, comicquant said:

Anyone else notice how easily confused some people are?

Like the people (not going to mention any names here :whistle:) who don't understand that the comic book grading scale has changed multiple times over the years? There is no reason it can't change again, though some of the advocates for change may be disappointed in the resulting changes in the market if it happens.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:34 AM, Lazyboy said:

Like the people (not going to mention any names here :whistle:) who don't understand that the comic book grading scale has changed multiple times over the years? There is no reason it can't change again, though some of the advocates for change may be disappointed in the resulting changes in the market if it happens.

Who's scale has changed?  Supposedly CGC has never changed their grading scale.  My post is reflective of graded comics ("What I think people fail to realize is changing a grading scale changes the value structure of graded comics").  I emphasize this point because there are numerous scales out there but the comic book market adheres to graded comic values.  You can try to nuance your way out of that fact if you want, but thats just the way it is.  My point was the market has solidified around this scale, which is shared by the big 3, and thats not going to change.  For that to happen, comic collecting would almost have to collapse into non-existence and reinvent itself.  Sure, anything can change.  I could wake up tomorrow 180lbs with a full head of hair...  

On 4/13/2022 at 11:42 AM, Dee2021 said:

I just saw a CGC 11 on eBay this morning. Has anyone seen this before?

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 9.41.23 AM.png

Looks like it's from the Nigel Tufnel collection.

On 4/12/2022 at 5:16 PM, Hook, Line, and Sinker said:

RMA wants to post his 9.7 manifesto soooo bad lol

I received the manifesto...  Or some variant of one.  I'm unsure of the overall message because I didn't read much of it, but primary takeaways (of the foreword) are:

1. Pot is bad and so are the people who ingest it (this statement immediately delivered critical context for any further discussion).
2. There is a mythical agent of pure evil named Stu and that I should know who they are (No idea who this is).  Also, because I don't know who Stu is, it's because of my gross lack of attention.
3.  AI is incapable of grading a collectible (a mind-numbing assertion).  
4.  The discussion of grading scales is a vastly critical aspect of my life regardless of how unimportant I claim it really is. 
5.  The market demands there be a 9.7 grade (Unless I'm mistaken, and I could be, there is no 9.7 so obviously the market doesn't demand it).    
6.  Oh, and that my DM's have been posted on some private support group page about comics and comic related arguments which I didn't bother to verify so click with caution.  If my abbreviated version of the manifesto appears to lack detail you can probably find it in its entirety on the support group page.     

Anyway, time to go find out more about this evil Stu.

Edited by comicquant

On 4/13/2022 at 7:04 AM, comicquant said:

Who's scale has changed?  Supposedly CGC has never changed their grading scale.  My post is reflective of graded comics ("What I think people fail to realize is changing a grading scale changes the value structure of graded comics").  I emphasize this point because there are numerous scales out there but the comic book market adheres to graded comic values.  You can try to nuance your way out of that fact if you want, but thats just the way it is.  My point was the market has solidified around this scale, which is shared by the big 3, and thats not going to change.  For that to happen, comic collecting would almost have to collapse into non-existence and reinvent itself.  Sure, anything can change.  I could wake up tomorrow 180lbs with a full head of hair...  

The hobby/market solidified around different scales years ago, long before CGC. No grading company is important to the hobby. CGC has made multiple changes to how they label comics over the years and there is no reason the grading scale couldn't become one of those changes in the future.