• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, what do YOU think will be deemed the first true appearance of Titan? Hulk #3 or Hulk #6
1 1

44 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2022 at 1:38 PM, doomwhistle said:

You know, TBH the hate train is high with issue #6. People claim Cates has a habit of introducing a great new villain, tease it for a few pages, then not pay off the character. I do not have enough experience with his work. But, I felt he helped launch the fervor for Knull and the Venom series he did was quite entertaining. 

No spoilers -- but after I read Hulk #6, I was pretty underwhelmed with it. The whole Titan banter was a bit overhyped. Not a bad story per say, but I expected far more.

I do feel that #3 will be the first appearance for a myriad of reasons. Mainly, as one commentator said, it is more than a cameo and we don't have that many variants like #6. Do we know the print run of #3 vs #6? That might also play into book equity and popularity.

I feel like you do, quite a bit underwhelmed by Titan in Hulk #6. I expected way much more and odd that he was used only for one issue and not that many panels. I still have this feeling we may see Titan again down the road and/or during Banner War with Thor because both Hulk and Thor right now are quite powered up. I am not caught up with Thor and I am a few issues behind, but I have seen a few things with The God of Hammers and Thor getting some new powers. Cates writes both books so maybe he has a much grander overall scheme.

I agree with you on Hulk #3 being his first appearance because he is shown on more than 1 panel, but who knows. Then like you said, your CGC slab doesn't note it as his first appearance or even a cameo. Would CGC moving forward update those labels for new submissions of Hulk #3 down the road?

On 4/22/2022 at 7:01 PM, BuraddoRun said:

Didn't we already get a "Hulk for the Hulk" with Kluh? Add me to the list of those underwhelmed by Hulk #6. I'm sure Titan will make another appearance but I don't know how popular he'll be or how used. My opinion, I think he's pretty lame.

Cates doesn't appear he was aware.

On 4/20/2022 at 5:32 PM, Lpgk said:

I don't think we can compare Iron Man 7 or 9 to Hulk. Iron Man wasn't a hyped up book at the time and it took some time for the character to take off. I remember going around to stores and finding these months after release. 

Also, IM didn't have hype man Cates tweeting about it months before FOC. THere's going to be tons of 6 out there including store exclusives. To me, only Hulk 3 will be worth getting. It's not even really a cameo as he appears in several panels and speaks. 

There were multiple printings of Iron Man #7 and a lot of discussion between which of the 2 Riri books would be THE book. That seemed to last quite some time. You're right about Cates being an absolute hype machine. There is no doubt that the Hulk had considerably more hype surrounding it than the Iron Man series.

There are currently hundreds upon hundreds of both Hulk #3 and #6 available and at this point I don't believe I was very wise buying either of them. The story was a very messy letdown. If Titan ever makes another appearance, I won't be buying. 

I'm a fan of a lot of Cates' work but he seems to be mailing it in on this story. Maybe he can pull it back together with the Thor vs Hulk storyline. Here is to hoping but I'll wait for the positive reviews before I take another chance on him on the Hulk.

On 4/25/2022 at 1:09 PM, the authority said:
On 4/20/2022 at 5:32 PM, Lpgk said:

I don't think we can compare Iron Man 7 or 9 to Hulk. Iron Man wasn't a hyped up book at the time and it took some time for the character to take off. I remember going around to stores and finding these months after release. 

Also, IM didn't have hype man Cates tweeting about it months before FOC. THere's going to be tons of 6 out there including store exclusives. To me, only Hulk 3 will be worth getting. It's not even really a cameo as he appears in several panels and speaks. 

There were multiple printings of Iron Man #7 and a lot of discussion between which of the 2 Riri books would be THE book. That seemed to last quite some time. You're right about Cates being an absolute hype machine. There is no doubt that the Hulk had considerably more hype surrounding it than the Iron Man series.

There are currently hundreds upon hundreds of both Hulk #3 and #6 available and at this point I don't believe I was very wise buying either of them. The story was a very messy letdown. If Titan ever makes another appearance, I won't be buying. 

I'm a fan of a lot of Cates' work but he seems to be mailing it in on this story. Maybe he can pull it back together with the Thor vs Hulk storyline. Here is to hoping but I'll wait for the positive reviews before I take another chance on him on the Hulk.

I remember coming back to collecting and being "new", and I stood next to IIM #7&9 and picked up Michael Turner Batman rebirth instead, if memory serves :facepalm:

lol I now own both #7&9, but I never got the memo on which was the most sought after, was there a decision made?

On 4/25/2022 at 1:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I remember coming back to collecting and being "new", and I stood next to IIM #7&9 and picked up Michael Turner Batman rebirth instead, if memory serves :facepalm:

lol I now own both #7&9, but I never got the memo on which was the most sought after, was there a decision made?

Prob in either Hulk #3 or Hulk #6. :roflmao:

I know Ottley is going to be at Fan Expo, I originally thought he was the artist for it due to profile pic, but I'm sure there is someone there to ask for a definitive answer :whee:

I'm sure it'll be up to the "market" much like IIM #7&9 were, imo, hence why I asked.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:09 AM, the authority said:

I am also a fan of Cates work as well. He seems to be "the man" there are Marvel, especially after Bendis departure. I am hoping since he writes THor as well, perhaps there will be some tie in between the two titles. I have to say the idea of piloting a mecha hulk is rather stupid, but knowing Cates, I think there is some twist coming to the story. If you look at his two biggest series hits, Thanos and Ghost Rider, it took some time before it reached critical mass. 

On 4/25/2022 at 1:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Haha. Don’t know about the memo but I got a lot more for my 9s than my 7s. Wish I had one of each now but man, they brought so much so soon that it was too tempting not to sell. 

On 4/25/2022 at 4:36 PM, the authority said:

Haha. Don’t know about the memo but I got a lot more for my 9s than my 7s. Wish I had one of each now but man, they brought so much so soon that it was too tempting not to sell. 

The temptation of selling fast and making decent money on hot moderns always beats the gamble of holding for the off-chance that a character hits and it turns into big money.  I think most of us who were buying back then had stacks of these and were stoked to be getting what we were at the time.  Same with those Darth Vader 3s...Had no way of knowing what the SWU would be so expanded.  Or at least I tell myself that and I'm VERY jealous of all you ding dongs with the foresight to hold and get those sweet, sweet payouts.  

A lot of good perspective here. TBH, I gave up buying on spec and just pick up what I like. Unlike many here, I enjoyed the whole MechaHulk cockpit idea. But that's just me. I just felt that issue #6 fell flat and had no real resolve. I finished reading it and said "Titan? Big deal." Plus it was hella confusing! I really hope for selfish reasons issue #3 is the designated first appearance. And I hope Cates can position the Titan character for a bigger moment that blows things up like Knull did (Venom #3).

BTW - The philosophy of not buying on spec has iced me out of many big hits. For instance, I do NOT have a UF 4. Why? Because I just do not care for the Miles character.
I'd rather put money into something I love like older Hulks, ASMs...heck even X-Men.

I have faith that Cates will provide more answers and more of a spotlight on new characters as time goes on. We're only six issues in. Some have said he has not followed through in the past, but I haven't seen that at all.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:09 AM, the authority said:

On 4/25/2022 at 3:16 PM, Lord Gemini said:

I have faith that Cates will provide more answers and more of a spotlight on new characters as time goes on. We're only six issues in. Some have said he has not followed through in the past, but I haven't seen that at all.

Of his Marvel offerings, the only one that sorta fizzled out was GoTG. But he had three solid hits: Thor/ Black Winter might be a solid double, but Venom and Thanos were walk off home runs. Knull and Cosmic GR are here to stay and I am going long on both. They fact that they are making toys and merchandise for those characters tells me they have long term plans to grow and promote them. 

On 4/25/2022 at 1:53 PM, Beastfeast said:

The temptation of selling fast and making decent money on hot moderns always beats the gamble of holding for the off-chance that a character hits and it turns into big money.  I think most of us who were buying back then had stacks of these and were stoked to be getting what we were at the time.  Same with those Darth Vader 3s...Had no way of knowing what the SWU would be so expanded.  Or at least I tell myself that and I'm VERY jealous of all you ding dongs with the foresight to hold and get those sweet, sweet payouts.  

I was actually more into action figures than comics. I only got back into comics with Darth Vader 3. I read somewhere that this new character was going to debut and supposedly she was going to be huge. So I drove around and bought every copy and variant I could find. I may not be able to guess a lot of comics specs right but I know my SW stuff since I follow the action figure/ movie market closely. Still going long on Aphra, she is gonna blow up big..... like Ahsoka big. 

On 4/25/2022 at 9:56 PM, Lpgk said:

I was actually more into action figures than comics. I only got back into comics with Darth Vader 3. I read somewhere that this new character was going to debut and supposedly she was going to be huge. So I drove around and bought every copy and variant I could find. I may not be able to guess a lot of comics specs right but I know my SW stuff since I follow the action figure/ movie market closely. Still going long on Aphra, she is gonna blow up big..... like Ahsoka big. 

I did the same and had sold them all by the end of the next week.  Easy come, easy go, I guess.  

On 4/25/2022 at 4:08 PM, Beastfeast said:

I did the same and had sold them all by the end of the next week.  Easy come, easy go, I guess.  

Nothing wrong with taking your profits. For every Aphra, there's tons of losers out there that head to the dollar bins

I invested in #6. It has an intro on the cover, "A Titan Emerges." This reminds me of X-men 282 and 266. Both are considered more important that 283 and the annual that Gambit shows up in. So I would (and did) put my money on #6.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:20 AM, Kerdese said:

I invested in #6. It has an intro on the cover, "A Titan Emerges." This reminds me of X-men 282 and 266. Both are considered more important that 283 and the annual that Gambit shows up in. So I would (and did) put my money on #6.

669CF4DE-3D24-47CE-AA9F-312956AC13A6.jpeg

786241ED-4AAF-43E7-BFBF-81DB14C5B6F5.png

On 4/25/2022 at 8:53 PM, Lpgk said:

Of his Marvel offerings, the only one that sorta fizzled out was GoTG. But he had three solid hits: Thor/ Black Winter might be a solid double, but Venom and Thanos were walk off home runs. Knull and Cosmic GR are here to stay and I am going long on both. They fact that they are making toys and merchandise for those characters tells me they have long term plans to grow and promote them. 

I agree. Venom #3 is one of the very few modern books that I've decided not to sell anytime soon. Knull would fit well in the MCU and would be a great counter to many of Marvel's heroes.