• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, what do YOU think will be deemed the first true appearance of Titan? Hulk #3 or Hulk #6
1 1

44 posts in this topic

Given that Cates is writing it, I don’t think it’s worth putting that much effort into the debate. His run will go out with a whimper and nobody with care about the characters introduced. Rinse, repeat. 

Carry on, though. I’ll be somewhere on the internet having the same debate about something Star Wars. lol 

On 4/11/2022 at 7:18 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Given that Cates is writing it, I don’t think it’s worth putting that much effort into the debate. His run will go out with a whimper and nobody with care about the characters introduced. Rinse, repeat. 

Carry on, though. I’ll be somewhere on the internet having the same debate about something Star Wars. lol 

LOL! Good one. Made me laugh. No love for Cates? 

Edited by doomwhistle

Then again, I just checked eBay results and people still pay money for Thor #2 1st - 3rd print, #4 2nd and the Thoranus 2nd print cover for #6, so the Hulk issues may have some value longer term.

Well...Knull was a runaway success for now. Venom #3 is still hot. So perhaps Titan will enjoy the same fame?

Though billed as "Cameo", I feel Hulk #3 will be the book people pursue as a 1st appearance of Titan. Others disagreed.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:51 AM, doomwhistle said:

Well...Knull was a runaway success for now. Venom #3 is still hot. So perhaps Titan will enjoy the same fame?

Though billed as "Cameo", I feel Hulk #3 will be the book people pursue as a 1st appearance of Titan. Others disagreed.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:58 AM, Lord Gemini said:

I love Cates. I don't understand people's problems with him.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:30 PM, Lpgk said:

I love Cates too. To me he makes interesting stories and characters. Hulk 3 is the one to get; retailers are going gangbusters on 6. It will be common. 

I don't quite understand the hate on Cates either. He at least has tries to tell some really far out and interesting stories. I think that he is building to a greater cosmic arc across multiple titles that he has worked on and is currently working on.

I still think that in 10 years time, we may see Knull in the MCU as the dude is too good to not be used at some capacity.

I do remember many saying that Hulk #3 is the first appearance of Titan. Same debate has happened with Bedlam in the new Venom series.

Just like Miles #38, I fear that Hulk #6 was over ordered that only the high ratio variants will be worth anything. My other issue is that we only get Titan Hulk for 1 issue it seems because don't we go right into Hulk vs. Thor with the next issue?

Reminds me a little of Invincible Iron Man #7 vs Invincible Iron Man #9. A good number of people pushed for both comics to be the one. That’ll probably happen here as it’s likely a lot of dough has been spent on both copies. 

Took a while for that issue to resolve in the market. This one will too. The thing is that we don’t know what’s in #6. There’s not a lot of risk taking a chance on #6 imo. 

The bigger question to me would be which cover should we be looking to buy. 

On 4/13/2022 at 9:51 PM, captainzombie said:

He at least has tries to tell some really far out and interesting stories

He does. My issue with his writing is that the endings, in my opinion, feel like letdowns and almost afterthoughts. I don't fault anyone for liking his writing or for having a different opinion, but the consistency just isn't there for me. 

Outside of writing - his self-promtion, while I get it, is somewhat grating and tired. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 4/13/2022 at 3:56 PM, the authority said:

Reminds me a little of Invincible Iron Man #7 vs Invincible Iron Man #9. A good number of people pushed for both comics to be the one. That’ll probably happen here as it’s likely a lot of dough has been spent on both copies. 

Took a while for that issue to resolve in the market. This one will too. The thing is that we don’t know what’s in #6. There’s not a lot of risk taking a chance on #6 imo. 

The bigger question to me would be which cover should we be looking to buy. 

I don't think we can compare Iron Man 7 or 9 to Hulk. Iron Man wasn't a hyped up book at the time and it took some time for the character to take off. I remember going around to stores and finding these months after release. 

Also, IM didn't have hype man Cates tweeting about it months before FOC. THere's going to be tons of 6 out there including store exclusives. To me, only Hulk 3 will be worth getting. It's not even really a cameo as he appears in several panels and speaks. 

On 4/20/2022 at 5:32 PM, Lpgk said:

I don't think we can compare Iron Man 7 or 9 to Hulk. Iron Man wasn't a hyped up book at the time and it took some time for the character to take off. I remember going around to stores and finding these months after release. 

Also, IM didn't have hype man Cates tweeting about it months before FOC. THere's going to be tons of 6 out there including store exclusives. To me, only Hulk 3 will be worth getting. It's not even really a cameo as he appears in several panels and speaks. 

I'd love it for it to be Hulk #3. I have so many copies of all the books for #3 including the variant and 2nd printing. Who knows what KCC and especially CGC select as his first appearance. I think that with issue #6 being ordered to hell and back with so many copies out there, it could end up being issue #3 since by then I think people were slowing starting to fall off this title due to the direction it was heading in.

You know, TBH the hate train is high with issue #6. People claim Cates has a habit of introducing a great new villain, tease it for a few pages, then not pay off the character. I do not have enough experience with his work. But, I felt he helped launch the fervor for Knull and the Venom series he did was quite entertaining. 

No spoilers -- but after I read Hulk #6, I was pretty underwhelmed with it. The whole Titan banter was a bit overhyped. Not a bad story per say, but I expected far more.

I do feel that #3 will be the first appearance for a myriad of reasons. Mainly, as one commentator said, it is more than a cameo and we don't have that many variants like #6. Do we know the print run of #3 vs #6? That might also play into book equity and popularity.

Edited by doomwhistle

On 4/22/2022 at 1:42 PM, doomwhistle said:

And for full transparency, I have a graded Hulk #3 variant Tradd Moore. It does NOT state the 1st appearance of Titan. Don't know if that means anything.

IMG_2068.JPG

In my experience, it takes a while for CGC to start listing first appearances on the label. The character has to gain a fair amount of traction first.