• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $3.12 million Cap 1 sale makes me ask again: Where will this book stand in the GA hierarchy?
6 6

161 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2022 at 3:16 PM, Mmehdy said:

So the new upgraded 8.5 SM#1 is the best copy out there. I still maintain that when the 9.8 Cap 1 hits, it will break the 5M mark easily, now I did say in the next 10 years not yesterday on my prediction, give it time to play out.....

The Church 8.5 copy of Sups 1 is not the best copy.

On 4/15/2022 at 1:49 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Does a raw, high grade Captain Marvel Adventures nn exist? The highest unrestored on the census are two 5.0’s. And to be clear I’m not saying I think if a 9.0+ were ever graded it would even break 1 mil. So not trying to compare it to these other books, but just curious if anyone knows of one existing? It seems to be the one golden age grail that doesn’t have a higher grade copy out there.

The cover stock on that book is so prone to cracking at the spine that it's an impossible book in grade. I can't say for sure, but IIRC I think spine splits might be the limiting factor on those two 5.0 books. 

On 4/15/2022 at 12:15 PM, Bookery said:

A famous collector.  Eccentric.  When he's truly interested in purchasing a comic, he will first ask you "Is it Safe?".  If he asks this, regardless of his offer, it's prudent to go ahead and sell it to him.

Heard he got the Supes 1 with the oil of cloves trick. :eek:

On 4/15/2022 at 9:48 AM, VintageComics said:

The cover stock on that book is so prone to cracking at the spine that it's an impossible book in grade. I can't say for sure, but IIRC I think spine splits might be the limiting factor on those two 5.0 books. 

Yeah I guess seems likely we'll never seen anything higher than those. Certainly nothing in the 9.0 and above range.

On 4/15/2022 at 1:22 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Yeah I guess seems likely we'll never seen anything higher than those. Certainly nothing in the 9.0 and above range.

We might but would need to be an unread copy. 

Being a long time Captain Marvel lover though, I learned early how difficult that book was. I owned a low grade copy years ago and found the cover stock impossibly brittle. Because those books were read to death the covers almost always came apart. 

On 4/15/2022 at 10:35 AM, VintageComics said:

We might but would need to be an unread copy. 

Being a long time Captain Marvel lover though, I learned early how difficult that book was. I owned a low grade copy years ago and found the cover stock impossibly brittle. Because those books were read to death the covers almost always came apart. 

I see, so I guess cover is not conducive maybe to achieve something super high, but possibly out there. I know @G.A.tor had a copy or likely copies as well. I think I saw you own a 3.5 I want to say at one point Rick.

On 4/15/2022 at 2:35 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I see, so I guess cover is not conducive maybe to achieve something super high, but possibly out there. I know @G.A.tor had a copy or likely copies as well. I think I saw you own a 3.5 I want to say at one point Rick.

Best cma1. Had was a 5.0. Lowest was a 1.5

On 4/15/2022 at 11:42 AM, G.A.tor said:

Best cma1. Had was a 5.0. Lowest was a 1.5

Oh wow, so you did have one of the two 5.0's. Do you have a photo of it still? Would love to see that! Unless it’s this one from a past Heritage auction?

CDE68D9A-6C79-45EA-B7DD-EA49DBAFDD2D.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 4/14/2022 at 5:11 PM, sfcityduck said:

As for the next big $1M sale: All-Star 8 is an easy choice.  The CGC 9.4 sold for $936K four to five years ago and it may be the buyer will want to cash out.  No AA 16 has yet broken $300K and it does not seem that Verzyl's copy is coming to market.  I could see a really nice D31 or D33 also going $1M.  The long money would be on the MH or SF More Fun 52 hitting the market.  Or a 9.0+ Pep 22 (MH is locked up with DA, maybe Bangzoom's copy could hit that?).  Is the MH Whiz 2 locked up with DA, that would be an obvious contender as well!

The 9.4AS8 sold again last year, it might already be in the million dollar club...

On 4/17/2022 at 1:44 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, if it's another one of those so-called private "sales", then some of the boardies here would NOT considered it to be an actual sale.  :gossip:  lol

I've yet to be convinced that anything is truly "real", despite any efforts I've seen. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/16/2022 at 10:57 PM, tth2 said:
On 4/16/2022 at 9:32 PM, Crowzilla said:

The 9.4AS8 sold again last year, it might already be in the million dollar club...

I'd rather have a 9.4 AS 3.  Criminally underrated book.

Now that's a very interesting adjective to be using for the book, as I believe Anthony Chiofalo would completely agree with your assessment of the AS 3 book.  (thumbsu

Especially since he ended up paying $200K to the lucky winner who had paid some $49K for the CGC 8.5 graded Billy Wright copy of All-Star 3 in the Heritage Auction only a short week earlier.  lol