• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $3.12 million Cap 1 sale makes me ask again: Where will this book stand in the GA hierarchy?
6 6

161 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2022 at 11:29 PM, buttock said:

Mods notified. 

Do they still hand out strikes if a book is overpriced? :whatthe:

Edited by VintageComics

On 4/18/2022 at 9:35 PM, VintageComics said:

Will we get a price announcement at some point for the AS8 9.4? Super curious what that went for compared to the auction result on ebay years ago. I remember seeing it for sale at SDCC or Wondercon, for like $1.4-$1.5 mil or so shortly after the guys from that comic shop in New Mexico bought it at auction. They snatched up the Sensation 1 CGC 9.6 as well.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 4/19/2022 at 12:47 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Will we get a price announcement at some point for the AS8 9.4?

At some point but it's private for now at the buyer's request. 

On 4/19/2022 at 1:13 PM, VintageComics said:

At some point but it's private for now at the buyer's request. 

Is the CGC 9.6 Sensation Comics #1 you sold also private per buyer’s request? I am curious to know what it sold for since it’s the only 9.6 in existence. 

On 4/19/2022 at 1:54 PM, Terry JSA said:

Is the CGC 9.6 Sensation Comics #1 you sold also private per buyer’s request? I am curious to know what it sold for since it’s the only 9.6 in existence. 

Yep. 

On 4/19/2022 at 2:45 PM, buttock said:

Let's just say Roy finally got a new blackberry.  

Nope. I wouldn't be Vintage if I updated my phone.  lol

Edited by VintageComics

On 4/18/2022 at 9:35 PM, VintageComics said:
On 4/18/2022 at 8:29 PM, buttock said:

Mods notified. 

I believe the best person to ask about this particular issue would be our dear friend here, @MrBedrock , since I believe he has had fond and unforgettable memories of prior enjoyable experiences with the Mods on this very subject matter here.  (tsk)  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/19/2022 at 11:04 AM, Aman619 said:

Is buyer worried he overpaid?  Best medicine for that is to make the amount public and goose the market. And voila, in a few years you’re a genius for buying it so cheaply.  

Ummmm..........................I believe both Jay Parrino and Gary Keller would be able to put up a good argument against your point here.  :tonofbricks:   lol

On 4/19/2022 at 6:31 PM, lou_fine said:

Ummmm..........................I believe both Jay Parrino and Gary Keller would be able to put up a good argument against your point here.  :tonofbricks:   lol

One thing I've learned is that most of the younger collectors would rather own a copy of an extremely common Bronze key than a rare but obscure GA book. They don't care that a book is extremely common; they still want a copy. I'm the opposite. If there are 80 or 100 copies of a book in the census, I lose all interest, regardless of how "important" the book is.

If this trend continues, we could get to the point where all of the monetary value in the hobby is concentrated in a comparatively small number of Marvel and DC books while everything else spirals to zero.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:44 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

One thing I've learned is that most of the younger collectors would rather own a copy of an extremely common Bronze key than a rare but obscure GA book. They don't care that a book is extremely common; they still want a copy. I'm the opposite. If there are 80 or 100 copies of a book in the census, I lose all interest, regardless of how "important" the book is.

If this trend continues, we could get to the point where all of the monetary value in the hobby is concentrated in a comparatively small number of Marvel and DC books while everything else spirals to zero.

I wish!

On 4/19/2022 at 6:31 PM, lou_fine said:

??  Even you have stated that Parrino’s mistakes wasn’t overpaying, but bailing too soon…. And in the current million dollar climate, irs safer than ever and you don’t have to wait decades to be in the black like it used to. Parrino would be sitting pretty with the paltry amounts he invested.  Unless you are talking about his real errors like silly stuff like Smash Comics.   He also bought the right keys at prices anyone wishes they did.  

On 4/19/2022 at 10:09 PM, Aman619 said:

Even you have stated that Parrino’s mistakes wasn’t overpaying, but bailing too soon….

That's speaking more from a long term collector's POV like you and me who have been collecting for decades where time can indeed heal virtually all purchasing errors.  Especially since we have no problem waiting because it's really more of a hobby for us than a need to make money on the venture.  Unfortunately for Parrino, he was nothing more than a newbie from another collecting field who main interest was probably to dive in and try to make some fast money and had no interest in waiting the 10 to 15 long years that it might have taken for him to come up smelling like roses on his purchases.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 4/19/2022 at 10:09 PM, Aman619 said:

And in the current million dollar climate, irs safer than ever and you don’t have to wait decades to be in the black like it used to.............  Unless you are talking about his real errors like silly stuff like Smash Comics.  

Are you sure it's safer right now when you consider some of the ridiculous prices that are being paid right now for the Promise Collection books.  Now, if you think Smash Comics is silly stuff, at least I've heard of the title and it is a long running GA title.  I certainly can't say the same thing about a large majority of the titles from the Promise Collection and I certainly hope the buyers have done up their wills properly because you just might have to wait for the heirs to cash out if the buyers hope to make a profit on some of those already long forgotten titles.  hm  doh!

On 4/20/2022 at 5:31 PM, lou_fine said:

That's speaking more from a long term collector's POV like you and me who have been collecting for decades where time can indeed heal virtually all purchasing errors.  Especially since we have no problem waiting because it's really more of a hobby for us than a need to make money on the venture.  Unfortunately for Parrino, he was nothing more than a newbie from another collecting field who main interest was probably to dive in and try to make some fast money and had no interest in waiting the 10 to 15 long years that it might have taken for him to come up smelling like roses on his purchases.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Are you sure it's safer right now when you consider some of the ridiculous prices that are being paid right now for the Promise Collection books.  Now, if you think Smash Comics is silly stuff, at least I've heard of the title and it is a long running GA title.  I certainly can't say the same thing about a large majority of the titles from the Promise Collection and I certainly hope the buyers have done up their wills properly because you just might have to wait for the heirs to cash out if the buyers hope to make a profit on some of those already long forgotten titles.  hm  doh!

What was the last MH book Chuck was trying to sell back in 2010.   He was holding out for ...what , was it $200,000 for Red Raven #1.   Which was at some point in time, a very hot book.   Just not in 2010.   Did Chuck even sell the book?   Either way, it was a perfect example of what you're talking about, except waiting to die to see a return on that $200k :whatthe:

On 4/20/2022 at 4:03 AM, Microchip said:

What was the last MH book Chuck was trying to sell back in 2010.   He was holding out for ...what , was it $200,000 for Red Raven #1.   Which was at some point in time, a very hot book.   Just not in 2010.   Did Chuck even sell the book?   Either way, it was a perfect example of what you're talking about, except waiting to die to see a return on that $200k :whatthe:

It was a Heritage Auction of several years ago (2011). I believe the MH Spirit 22 (CGC 9.6) was part of the group. I want to say the RR1 got 75K or something. It would be in their archives. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

Parrino owned a 9.4 FF 1.  that alone paid for all his mistakes -  if he held on.  He threw out the baby with the bathwater when he got out completely.  But youre right that he made a cynical and miscalculated entry trying to elevate prices overnight.  And had bad advice.

Edited by Aman619

On 4/20/2022 at 8:20 PM, Aman619 said:

And had bad advice.

Imagine what this hobby would be like today if big money new entrants had been historically treated with care and integrity by big dealers, rather than as chum for circling sharks.  

On 4/20/2022 at 10:04 AM, tth2 said:

Imagine what this hobby would be like today if big money new entrants had been historically treated with care and integrity by big dealers, rather than as chum for circling sharks.  

Ehhh.   I'm not sure who is more cynical, you, for holding the view that people have been treated that way, or me, for thinking that none of us are here with any expectation of holding hands and singing Kumbaya, and that people in any hobby or frankly any pursuit that is sufficiently competitive will get *and should expect* similar treatment.    

Edited by Bronty