• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About How the Hobby Views Restoration
6 6

63 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2022 at 11:07 AM, Mark Warren said:

I agree with this; in fact it is by definition restoration. Too bad CGC doesn't give it a purple label as it would save me some money when I buy them!

They probably would if they could detect when a book had been pressed, but unlike tape or glue or markers, it's pretty hard to tell if a book has been pressed or not, as I understand it.  (I've never had any pressings done.)

On 4/13/2022 at 10:41 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I think this is generally true, but - as this thread demonstrates - there are collectors who don't absolutely rule out a book with restoration.  As also noted above, the important thing is that any restoration is disclosed so a collector can make an informed decision on a book.

I would love it if the pricey books I can't afford came up in a purple label and made it affordable. I just never see it with the books I'm looking for. 

On 4/13/2022 at 4:25 PM, D84 said:

This will upset people, but I think restoration removal has the same intent as undisclosed restoration. The book is altered a second time to raise the monetary value.

Its a ret-conned PLOD ...

(retro-active enhancement 👍)

Edited by Mr bla bla

On 4/13/2022 at 6:03 PM, shadroch said:

I have no problem with restoration as long as it is disclosed and doesn't involve trimming. I think most of the hobby had a kneejerk reaction to CGC putting restored books into purple labels. I own a purple Avengers 1, a Superman 14, X-Men 1 and GS 1, and a purple BB28.  Last week I bought a purple label Batman  3 off these boards. Of my personal graded comics, maybe 20% are purple labels. 

I guess that procentage makes you a plod-man (just like me😜)

On 4/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, Axe Elf said:

They probably would if they could detect when a book had been pressed, but unlike tape or glue or markers, it's pretty hard to tell if a book has been pressed or not, as I understand it.  (I've never had any pressings done.)

They can detect it when they press it themselves (CCS), and they don't note it.  They will never do something that cuts into their own business.  While better than the old wild west days of buying ungraded comics, the purpose of third-party grading is not to protect those in the hobby... it's to make money.

On 4/15/2022 at 7:54 PM, Buzzetta said:

I pass on books that have the name of someone most likely deceased on the front cover. 

I have no problem with some restoration when it means I get a book for a fraction of the blue label price. 

image.png.4370eeaf1cb483cc108f3479381fb0d9.png

image.png.0619f9a4e07b0bf2fafc957660d95c11.pngimage.png.d86fcbdc074edc09816c90200bfb9716.png

Your Batman 11 is a prime example of why I look past the stigma of the purple label and purchase key books like that when priced reasonably.  They give me the opportunity to buy an expensive in demand book in a grade I could otherwise not afford. I would be thrilled to have it in my collection and smile every time I pulled it out knowing how much less it cost me than a blue label copy. It's a gorgeous copy of a classic! Well done!!

My most recent plod purchase. Though I could probably afford to get a comparable blue label copy of this book, provided I could find one, the price discount for the tiny amount of work done to this copy was just too attractive to ignore. 

IMG_2352.jpg

Edited by Electron

On 4/15/2022 at 11:11 PM, Electron said:

My most recent plod purchase. Though I could probably afford to get a comparable blue label copy of this book, provided I could find one, the price discount for the tiny amount of work done to this copy was just too attractive to ignore. 

IMG_2352.jpg

The purple label helps the bold colors on those old planets really pop! 

I'll have to dig out one of my purple label LB Cole Blue Bolts.

On 4/15/2022 at 10:16 PM, KCOComics said:

The purple label helps the bold colors on those old planets really pop! 

I'll have to dig out one of my purple label LB Cole Blue Bolts.

You're right! I never noticed that..lol

Love to see the Blue Bolts! Those Cole covers are wonderful.

On 4/15/2022 at 6:54 PM, Buzzetta said:

I pass on books that have the name of someone most likely deceased on the front cover. 

I have no problem with some restoration when it means I get a book for a fraction of the blue label price. 

image.png.4370eeaf1cb483cc108f3479381fb0d9.png

image.png.0619f9a4e07b0bf2fafc957660d95c11.pngimage.png.d86fcbdc074edc09816c90200bfb9716.png

Superman 15 is such an underrated cover. I keep meaning to pull the trigger on a copy.

On 4/15/2022 at 6:48 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

LOL no I don't.  Mainly copper and moderns.

***Books that I grew up with

I started with the books I grew up with, then started chasing early bronze, which led to silver and then to gold.

On 4/16/2022 at 10:05 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

I bought this raw a few years ago, knowing it has color touch.  Certainly couldn’t afford a blue label copy now.  

CD32107E-2A41-4341-9DA4-05A5B03022D5.jpeg

Great horror key in any grade‼️👍😷