• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About How the Hobby Views Restoration
6 6

63 posts in this topic

On 4/16/2022 at 10:08 AM, GoldenAgeAddict said:

I have 4 restored books in my collection.  One was really low priced that i bought because I liked the cover.  Two are copies of Adventure Comics 46, which I knew don’t come around very often.  My other is Suspense 3

9CF0A2CD-A142-4350-B7BA-53B98368B712.jpeg

Sweet baby Jesus.  I need that in my life.

Also, this is the only book that I’ve considered “restarting” my collection with.  Let go what needs to go and start over.

Edited by DocHoppus182
A thought.

On 4/15/2022 at 11:35 PM, Electron said:

You're right! I never noticed that..lol

Love to see the Blue Bolts! Those Cole covers are wonderful.

It's so hard to get a good picture of the slab without reflection. 

I bought this here on the boards a few years ago. When I saw the reds jumping off the page,  I looked right past the restoration and had to have it. 

20220416_102048.jpg

On 4/16/2022 at 10:08 AM, GoldenAgeAddict said:

I have 4 restored books in my collection.  One was really low priced that i bought because I liked the cover.  Two are copies of Adventure Comics 46, which I knew don’t come around very often.  My other is Suspense 3

9CF0A2CD-A142-4350-B7BA-53B98368B712.jpeg

Incredible book!! One I would love to own in virtually any condition with any label! 

On 4/16/2022 at 9:25 AM, KCOComics said:

It's so hard to get a good picture of the slab without reflection. 

I bought this here on the boards a few years ago. When I saw the reds jumping off the page,  I looked right past the restoration and had to have it. 

20220416_102048.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! Beautiful copy with slight resto. Congrats.

As to the topic at hand I'm all in favor of restoration.  We do it to cars, furniture, paintings, etc. with no thought to altering the value.  I like to present my favorite comics on a wall in a frame so I and others can enjoy the art and reminisce about the "good 'ole days".  Restoration makes for better presentation and in the case of this hobby lower prices.  In fact, I'm hoping one big restored GA book stays available long enough for me to save the moola.  It's a fraction of the price of a Blue label.

CA1.jpg

On 4/16/2022 at 12:25 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

What a small community we are.  That was mine that I put up for sale on MCS at their minimum commission meaning $0 for me.  I don't collect Detective Comics so I just wanted it to go to someone that was a collector.  Story behind the restore:  Believe it or not the tear was my first ever tape pull when I took it out of a bag after 40 years in a closet, and since I really didn't think it would be worth anything after the pull and given it's general condition I thought I'd experiment with a touch of glue to put the tear back in place.  I figured a smudge of glue would be nicer to look at than a white tear.  Anyways, hope you like it!  (Sorry about the clipped panel - bought it that way at a flea market and found the missing panel after the fact - fortunately it's not part of the story or art but advertising as I recall).

Wow! It is really nice to know the story behind this book because I thought I never would. Thanks for sharing that and for putting it up on MCS!

At this point, I'm keeping it in the slab.

For some people (like me) a restored copy that looks nice is the only way to afford some of the books on my want list. I see people displaying their purchases of .5 or 1.0 keys that are beat up and ragged when they could've gotten one a lot nicer for less, and I question the logic. There are some ins and outs of comic collecting that are a little twisted, though.

On 4/16/2022 at 6:09 PM, Pat Thomas said:

For some people (like me) a restored copy that looks nice is the only way to afford some of the books on my want list. I see people displaying their purchases of .5 or 1.0 keys that are beat up and ragged when they could've gotten one a lot nicer for less, and I question the logic. There are some ins and outs of comic collecting that are a little twisted, though.

I do love my beaters, but I get your point.

I also love my restored books as well.

The beat up and ragged copy reflects the history of the copy ? Doesn't matter that I may never know what was that particular history but it adds to the charm of the book. You definitely gain something with restoration e.g. the aesthetic appeal etc , but you also undenianbly lose something. 

Granted, restoration done for preservation is different and as I already mentioned, I do own several restored books. But a raggedy compete copy beats a restored one generally speaking for me.  This hobby is embedded with nostalgia and sentiment. 

It's like living with your aged wife for 60yrs and someone offers to restore her eye appeal. I'll keep my aged wife. The sinews and wrinkles on her face speak a story of their own. 

On 4/16/2022 at 4:47 PM, Electron said:

Killer books! Pretty much nails my feelings on the topic as well. It opens up possibilities that just aren't there in blue label for me. Like these two.

IMG_1603 (1).jpg

IMG_2165 (2).jpg

Wow!!!! 

Two incredible books. Not long ago I was looking into a restored Bat1... I figured I could unload SA keys and get into a restored copy. 

But that book has been awfully hot the last few years. I'm not sure where the price is today, but I think that ship has sailed for me. 

And an AC2!!! Just incredible!!