• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage June Auction
7 7

763 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2022 at 6:24 PM, Nexus said:

IIRC, I referred to him as "the most prominent and influential person in the hobby". Which I do believe he is. Everyone can listen and decide for themselves how they feel about that.

Over the years, I have been very open with how I feel about HA bidding on their own auctions. But this is just how things are. We either accept it or we don't. There are other things I don't like about the hobby as well. But the things I DO like outweigh those. So I'm here for now. I imagine that's how it is for pretty much everyone in the hobby.

Like so many others, I suspected Jim had gotten the cover. And I was going to ask him about it. I did not expect that he would volunteer it. Still appreciated that he would share that.

Over the course of the two podcasts with Jim, I think there's enough stuff for people to consider, if they listen carefully. And again, decide for themselves.

In a way, it’s like he’s concluded that a lot of collectors, with a lot of money, behave just like big babies lacking impulse control who demand instant gratification of their needs regardless as to cost. I know that sounds harsh, but if Heritage can keep prices artificially high by buying product on its own auction site which expressly tolerates it, that’s the logical conclusion I draw. The only other thing to add is that other auctioneers do it, too (but not necessarily so blatantly).