• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Copy of Superman 1 CGC 8.0 Sells For $5.3 Million
4 4

112 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2022 at 9:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Auctioned today....what do you think it goes for?

That's proprietary information in this day and age. :devil:

Let's just say it goes for MOAR!

On 4/16/2022 at 2:38 AM, VintageComics said:

Motion Pictures Weekly #1, there are only 10 or so copies and DOES NOT exist without Brittle pages unless it's been restored.

You're forgetting the Pay Copy - but you're nailing it with everything else in your post.

And congrats! (thumbsu

On 4/16/2022 at 3:14 AM, Crowzilla said:

You're forgetting the Pay Copy 

Apologies...but it's 'only' a 9.0 :wink:

- but you're nailing it with everything else in your post.

It's basic logic.

Another thought crossed my mind. People have some mythical association with auctions as though FMV can only truly be found at auction. Like auction bidders tap into some power that magically determines FMV. 

In reality at least TWO people have to agree to what the end price is going to be, so that would be two people willing to pay prices that some might think is an outlier. Rest assured most people think long and hard what they're willing to bid at auction. 

Also, you never know if the high bidder would have been willing to pay far more than an auction realized price if the under bidder had bid higher.

If the under bidder bids low, it's just as possible to under pay at auction as it is to overpay due to an overzealous bidder, compared to a private sale.

Just ask Bob Storms. 

The reality is that only an actual bidder / buyer knows how they get to that number and whether it's an auction number or a direct sale, that is the FMB.

Everything else is just speculation. 

And congrats! (thumbsu

Thank you! 

Edited by VintageComics

On 4/15/2022 at 11:30 PM, KCOComics said:

With that said, if I was in a position to buy a book of this magnitude,  I wouldn't want to go through an auction house... I would do exactly what this buyer did. Contact established people in the industry I trust and work out a price we are both comfortable with. 

Without a doubt. Both came away happy with the agreed upon price, there you have it. The market determined it.

Edited by Prince Namor

On 4/16/2022 at 2:38 AM, VintageComics said:

Just because you can't envision something doesn't mean nobody can.

You're basically saying a seller and buyer shouldn't be able to agree on a price. lol

You couldn't price a skyscraper. But some people can. 

You can disagree all you want, but the buyer and seller disagree with you. 

Again, 

The book is an anomaly in higher grade and with the background that surrounds it.   I am curious about the means to which a price was obtained for a higher grade Superman 1 where it becomes the highest price paid for a comic book.   Unlike a skyscraper which relies on tangible and measurable factors, such as labor, supplies, taxes, estimated time of completion based on similar projects and the like, a comic book is comparable to previous sales or books that are similar. 

Is this book similar or comparable to a 9.0 Action 1 even though those sales were recorded years ago... and by auction... and with multiple people competing against each other?  That is why I am asking.

There is no reason for you to be insufferable.

But... persist...  

I wonder how future collectors will view this period of time. Like how we find old CBG ads and marvel at the miraculously cheap prices for heavy hitter books today. What will the reaction be when doing that in the future looking at this period? The same, cheap nostalgia, horror at what we were paying, shock over what we were buying, or something else entirely I haven't thought of. 

Your thoughts? 

On 4/16/2022 at 10:12 AM, october said:

The Church Superman 1 isn't completely without reasonable comps. A 7.0 blue label sold at the end of 2021 for 2.6 million at auction. I am not sure you need a whole lot more data points than that to ballpark out a one point better pedigree copy five months after. 

Thanks 

The 9.6 AF15 sale was difficult to interpret at the time - many believed it meant that AF15 was moving up relative the big GA books. It seems clear in the light of subsequent sales that the pecking order is more or less the same as it had been, just with significantly larger numbers attached to all the biggest books. It will be interesting to see what the 6.5 Tec 27 brings in Goldin's next auction.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:31 PM, chrisco37 said:

Anomaly?  It’s Superman 1, which has always been a Top 5 (at worst) book.  It’s a tough book in any grade and notoriously rare in higher grades.  This is one of the best copies in existence. And it’s a Church to boot.  
If any book was going to break the 5M barrier, this  was one of them.  

I was going to write a post where I discussed the value of the best copy of Superman #1 and I was going to argue, that, under certain circumstances (it being a 9.2) it would be the third most valuable comic. Right now, after this result, I'm almost convinced that would be the case.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:57 AM, Buzzetta said:

Again, 

The book is an anomaly in higher grade and with the background that surrounds it.   I am curious about the means to which a price was obtained for a higher grade Superman 1 where it becomes the highest price paid for a comic book.   Unlike a skyscraper which relies on tangible and measurable factors, such as labor, supplies, taxes, estimated time of completion based on similar projects and the like, a comic book is comparable to previous sales or books that are similar. 

Is this book similar or comparable to a 9.0 Action 1 even though those sales were recorded years ago... and by auction... and with multiple people competing against each other?  That is why I am asking.

There is no reason for you to be insufferable.

But... persist...  

And there are no tangible factors involved in pricing a comic book? There are plenty but they're not always out in the open. 

When you want something special that someone else owns, you basically need to pry it from the owner's hands by making an offer they can't refuse. How do you put a price on that?

I'm trying to explain something that some may not understand and if that makes me in sufferable, so be it. 

On 4/16/2022 at 1:13 AM, Randall Dowling said:

I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood my post.  I'm not saying that a Superman 1 isn't worth more than an 8.0 of a CA 1 or an AF15.  My comparison was meant between highest graded copies of those books.  To make it even more clear for you.  If you could choose a Captain America 1 in CGC 9.6 or an Amazing Fantasy 15 in CGC 9.6 or a Superman 1 in CGC 8.0, which one would you take. 

But I think everything you wrote is debatable. otherwise.  YMMV.

I understand what you're trying to say.

I think the logic you're using here works for the vast majority of books. But at this level, where the pool of books and buyers is as small as it is, there are a host of other factors at play that are more important than the number on the label. Factors such as who the buyers are and how they perceive the buying opportunity. Maybe they have those other books; maybe they're betting that this is going to be their only shot at a high grade Superman 1; who knows? We can compare labels and data points all day, but again, with such a small pool of buyers and available books at this level, individual whim is just as big of a factor.

You could also take the 9.6 vs 8.0 out of the question and ask, would you rather have a high grade Superman 1 or a high grade AF 15? How many chances will you likely get at the former vs the latter, if you are someone in the market for these types of books? 

On 4/16/2022 at 9:18 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I wonder how future collectors will view this period of time. Like how we find old CBG ads and marvel at the miraculously cheap prices for heavy hitter books today. What will the reaction be when doing that in the future looking at this period? The same, cheap nostalgia, horror at what we were paying, shock over what we were buying, or something else entirely I haven't thought of. 

Your thoughts? 

I hope that I will look back with fondness at these days in which you can still get nice-looking Warren magazines for under $100 each.

On 4/16/2022 at 1:20 PM, VintageComics said:

And there are no tangible factors involved in pricing a comic book? There are plenty but they're not always out in the open. 

When you want something special that someone else owns, you basically need to pry it from the owner's hands by making an offer they can't refuse. How do you put a price on that?

I'm trying to explain something that some may not understand and if that makes me in sufferable, so be it. 

So be it. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 4/16/2022 at 10:12 AM, october said:

The Church Superman 1 isn't completely without reasonable comps. A 7.0 blue label sold at the end of 2021 for 2.6 million at auction. I am not sure you need a whole lot more data points than that to ballpark out a one point better pedigree copy five months after. 

Since the 7.0 went for 2.6m and now a buyer wants the 8.0 copy with no previous sales data, Doubling the last sale for a one of a kind 8.0 is a good place to start at least. I just bought a one of a kind pre code horror book in a 8.5, previous sale was $1650 for a 6.5,  I offered double that price, seller said it was a fair offer but wanted another 1K since he wasn't in a big hurry to seller it...didn't think twice..here you go!   

If I was rich, with an opportunity to buy the Mile High Supes 1, I'd pay almost whatever it took to get it.     

@DC# You need to start a patreon account so we can send a tip your way for all your hard work.  Really great to see the numbers presented like that.  I really thought 2022 would see a substantial pullback given the movement in the stock market, but such is not the case for the most coveted comics.