• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile High Copy of Superman 1 CGC 8.0 Sells For $5.3 Million
4 4

112 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2022 at 4:17 PM, VintageComics said:

There is truth in these words. lol

The area is a shadow of what it used to be. 

Youth exodus. 

Old people cling to their houses, young people can't afford to move in, etc. It's happening to a lot of neighborhoods close to the core.

On 4/18/2022 at 4:24 PM, COI said:

Also, congrats on your involvement with this sale Roy, if I didn't already say it. (thumbsu

Thanks! It's been a wild time in the markets and a fun ride. 

On 4/18/2022 at 2:48 PM, VintageComics said:

Watching old school CGC forumites meme at each other reminds me of this. 

funny-gifs-old-guys-fight.gif

I don't care how thin their breadstick arms are.

When someone takes their shirt off, throws their hat down with that much force, and then proceeds to beat the snot out of thin air.....you do NOT want to mess with them.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:40 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I don't care how thin their breadstick arms are.

When someone takes their shirt off, throws their hat down with that much force, and then proceeds to beat the snot out of thin air.....you do NOT want to mess with them.

I don't know, that's some serious finger wagging going on. lol

On 4/18/2022 at 5:45 PM, VintageComics said:

I don't know, that's some serious finger wagging going on. lol

True....but the trick is learning to tell the level of crazy you're dealing with.

The guy is careful to not get his shirt dirty.....then proceeds to throw his hat down into the filth before missing all of his punches by a full five feet.

That's the kind of guy that......if he does manage to get you on the ground......would sit on your face and then s**t his pants.

No thank you!

If you value your nasal passages, this is the time to look at the ground (to avoid challenging him with direct eye contact)....apologize profusely.....and then slowly hand him $20 so he can continue drinking.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:57 PM, Domo Arigato said:

True....but the trick is learning to tell the level of crazy you're dealing with.

The guy is careful to not get his shirt dirty.....then proceeds to throw his hat down into the filth before missing all of his punches by a full five feet.

That's the kind of guy that......if he does manage to get you on the ground......would sit on your face and then s**t his pants.

No thank you!

If you value your nasal passages, this is the time to look at the ground (to avoid challenging him with direct eye contact)....apologize profusely.....and then slowly hand him $20 so he can continue drinking.

I don't know. I think it would turn out more like this.

giphy.gif

On 4/18/2022 at 6:03 PM, VintageComics said:

I don't know. I think it would turn out more like this.

I can't tell if the other guy connected with a punch or if that guy just tripped on his own feet. 

If he dropped that guy with one punch, I can imagine him strutting down the halls of Shady Acres later that night like a juiced up rooster.

Luckily the ref appeared ready to jump in once a fighter went down.

On 4/18/2022 at 7:11 PM, Domo Arigato said:

If he dropped that guy with one punch, I can imagine him strutting down the halls of Shady Acres later that night like a juiced up rooster.

I'm laughing so hard. lol

The Superman sale was brokered by Tony Arnold of TonyeTrade Enterprises, one of the renowned sources for vintage collectibles, and Roy Delic of Vintage Comics, a well-respected dealer in Canada. Both the seller and buyer prefer to remain anonymous.

Roy, I can't believe you didn't come to sell it here first!  I am truly hurt. 

Just kidding!   Congratulations!!!

On 4/19/2022 at 11:28 PM, toro said:

The Superman sale was brokered by Tony Arnold of TonyeTrade Enterprises, one of the renowned sources for vintage collectibles, and Roy Delic of Vintage Comics, a well-respected dealer in Canada. Both the seller and buyer prefer to remain anonymous.

Roy, I can't believe you didn't come to sell it here first!  I am truly hurt. 

Just kidding!   Congratulations!!!

It's an impressive sale that must have required a considerable finesse to consummate the transaction. After all, it IS a record by a significant 66% increase, although I have heard rumblings of a 4.5M sale of an Action 1, also private. I've always thought that a 5M sale was a given at some point. From looking at other successful collector's markets, it seems like there is a 10M or so, glass ceiling even with the uber rich. That's kind of where I extrapolated the 20M guestimate for the Church AC1. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/19/2022 at 7:51 AM, Mmehdy said:

next price jump from over 5M will be 7.5M

I'm not so sure about that. I think there's going to be another increment in-between. Time will tell, of course, but we're clearly not working with convenient numbers, so I see no reason we'd start to now. 

On 4/19/2022 at 8:52 PM, jimjum12 said:

It's an impressive sale that must have required a considerable finesse to consummate the transaction. After all, it IS a record by a significant 66% increase, although I have heard rumblings of a 4.5M sale of an Action 1, 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Pssst - the $4.5 Action 1 rumor was someone confusing leaks about the Superman 1 sale with a sale of the first Superman appearance.  Easy misstake.  Another poster stated the original deal was for $4.5 net, and the price was topped up to $5.3 (a 15% increase) to account for the gain tax.

On 4/20/2022 at 7:23 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Roy, are you able to elaborate as to the extent of your engagement in this sale?  What, specifically did you do in order to make this sale happen?

My potentially related question:  Same buyer as the AS 8?  

If so, looks like Roy's become a big time buyer's headhunter in much the same way Metro was doing for Hariri.

As for where the upper limits of collectibles in this price range is, it depends. The owner (Stuart Weitzman) of both the unique 1 cent British Guiana stamp and the (so far) one legal-to-own 1933 St. Gaudens $20 gold piece recently sold both -- the stamp (incredibly ugly, but world-famous) was a slight net loss of just over a million from its 2014 result, selling for $8,307,000 in 2021, while the $20 gold was very profitable, he'd bought it anonymously for $7.59 million years ago, and it fetched $18.8 million in June 2021.

The holder of the considered-finest and first-struck 1794 dollar (Bruce Morelan), spent about $10 million at auction to acquire it, it might go for the same or more if auctioned today, but depends on if anyone is in the market for it. Overall I'd rather have an almost-equally nice Lord St. Oswald 1794 dollar for millions less, a mere $2.8 million for the third-finest known, with a wonderful history:

https://www.pcgs.com/news/oswald-norweb-1794-flowing-hair-dollar-sells#:~:text=Topping off this amazing numismatic,of the famed Cardinal Collection.

When it was on display at the National Postal museum, there was a nice comic connection for the British Guiana 1-cent stamp -- from wikipedia: Next to the Postal Museum exhibit is a copy of a Donald Duck comic book, The Gilded Man, (Four Color 422) from 1952, whose central plot element revolves around Donald and his nephews, Huey, Louie and Dewey, going to British Guiana to try to find another copy of the stamp. The comic is written and drawn by Carl Barks.