• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best investment decision? - two key books with different grades

41 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been mulling over the better investment decision for important modern keys.

As an example I have two Miles Morales keys that I'm interested in -

1. Ultimate Comics All New Spiderman 1 (Cover A) CGC 9.8 - approx $1100

2. Ultimate Comics All New Spiderman 1 (1:15 Pichelli unmasked variant) CGC 9.6 - approx $1100

Basically there's a trade off with grades and rarity (CGC census is 3355 for Cover A in all grades and the Variant is 468 in all grades).

I'm interested to see what book would you choose for a long term investment and why?

Thanks,

James

No idea but if I HAD to chose, I'd put the money on a 9.4 UF4 and put some of the leftovers toward a 9.4 Ultimate Comics All New Spiderman 1.  

But long term investment and modern comics aren't the best combinations and these books are at their relative historic highs.  

I guess I'll be that guy that misses out on a UF4 because I just don't feel the pressure to pick one up. 

I have a few 9.6s on my Ebay watch list but can't ever seem to pull the trigger.

I saw the Spiderverse movie and it was fun but unless Marvel kills off Peter Parker I don't understand how Miles ever becomes iconic. 

:preach:

The book is severely over priced right now and everyone is trying to sell them.

How good of an investment could it be of everyone and their uncle is trying to sell their copy?

On 4/14/2022 at 8:42 AM, lostboys said:

I guess I'll be that guy that misses out on a UF4 because I just don't feel the pressure to pick one up. 

I have a few 9.6s on my Ebay watch list but can't ever seem to pull the trigger.

I saw the Spiderverse movie and it was fun but unless Marvel kills off Peter Parker I don't understand how Miles ever becomes iconic. 

How good of an investment could it be of everyone and their uncle is trying to sell their copy?

I'll be the guy that misses out because I sold so many for $20 way back when.  REALLLLLY hard to justify spending the money to get them back.  

The worst is that I sold 3 of the variants for $150-$250 :tonofbricks:

On 4/14/2022 at 8:42 AM, lostboys said:

See....every other true key

Get asm 10 first spider-punk instead.  There's a 1:25 dell'otto variant for it. Still yet another spider-derivative,like character but he's more original and has a lower entry level for now and is not divisive the way morales is.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 4/14/2022 at 10:00 AM, ygogolak said:

See....every other true key

Id love someone to explain to me how the first app of Miles is ALREADY worth more than the first app of Deadpool or Venom (ASM 299) ?

Edited by lostboys

On 4/14/2022 at 10:51 AM, lostboys said:

Id love someone to explain to me how the first app of Miles is ALREADY worth more than the first app of Deadpool or Venom (ASM 299) ?

I could tell you it's all based on future potential for the character. But that likely wouldn't change your opinion.

On 4/14/2022 at 11:38 AM, ygogolak said:

I could tell you it's all based on future potential for the character. But that likely wouldn't change your opinion.

I hear you but why is everyone selling instead of holding?...even for just another 5 years or until an actual live action Miles movie is made?

There are maybe 4 copies of Walking Dead 1 (cgc 9.6) on Ebay.

There are around 40 copies of UF4 (cgc 9.6) on Ebay and thats not counting the cgcSS copies available.

Why are they trying to sell a book that everyone is so sure will be worth double in a few years?

On 4/15/2022 at 12:51 AM, lostboys said:

Probably because there's more graded copies. It's incredibly easy to find tons of well graded copies of both books.

I'm genuinely fascinated why people are so hesitant to get on the Miles train.

It's fairly clear that he's the biggest property in marvel outside of Peter Parker. Prices are high because people have realised this and have conviction paying those prices.

If you don't like the character, that makes sense to not want his comics. If you do like him though, why not at least get some exposure?

Edited by James42

On 4/16/2022 at 11:00 AM, Beastfeast said:

I think getting in on Miles is a great idea.  I'd imagine there's a good amount of other people on this board who agree.  The point of contention being that NOW might not be the best time to buy.  Or there's a huge announcement next week and these prices will look good (shrug)

Oh yeah I agree. Prices are high because of our bias. It was so cheap to buy these books 2 years ago so we're all naturally going to be hesitant.

If Miles is this important though, I don't think these prices are nearly high enough. Just a question of conviction imo.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:44 PM, lostboys said:

I hear you but why is everyone selling instead of holding?...even for just another 5 years or until an actual live action Miles movie is made?

There are maybe 4 copies of Walking Dead 1 (cgc 9.6) on Ebay.

There are around 40 copies of UF4 (cgc 9.6) on Ebay and thats not counting the cgcSS copies available.

Why are they trying to sell a book that everyone is so sure will be worth double in a few years?

Because, like myself, they bought them for $1-$3 years ago. Maybe even got the variant in a 5 Below pack. When that big of an ROI is starring you in the face it's hard to pass.

Many said the same thing with IH 181 years ago.

On 4/18/2022 at 10:45 AM, ygogolak said:

Because, like myself, they bought them for $1-$3 years ago. Maybe even got the variant in a 5 Below pack. When that big of an ROI is starring you in the face it's hard to pass.

Many said the same thing with IH 181 years ago.

I have no love for this book or the character so for me, its purely a $$$ decision.

I love Spider Man (Peter Parker)

To invest or not? If I do, it will likely be left for my children along with my other books as im 45 years old and dont plan on ever cashing out.

I actually bought a UF4 CGC 9.6 on Ebay last year for $900 but I returned it because the book was warped in the slab and looked horrible. 

I dont regret that and im still more than willing to pay $1400 now for a sweet looking slabbed 9.6 copy. 

I may buy one but im just not sold on the idea that this book is going to keep on going up.

Its already leaving NM98 in the dust.

Its caught up with TWD1.

Its approaching ASM 300 prices.

Why would Miles Morales be bigger than Deadpool, Rick Grimes and Venom? Based on what?

Edited by lostboys

On 4/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, lostboys said:

Why would Miles Morales be bigger than Deadpool, Rick Grimes and Venom? Based on what?

I'm not sure what you're wanting to hear? The value is all you need to see. You're trying to rationalize an irrational market.
I probably shouldn't mention that the 1st Elsa Bloodstone, a character virtually nobody knows anything about, is approaching $1k. Whoops....