• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the best investment decision? - two key books with different grades

41 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2022 at 11:37 AM, ygogolak said:

I'm not sure what you're wanting to hear? The value is all you need to see. You're trying to rationalize an irrational market.
I probably shouldn't mention that the 1st Elsa Bloodstone, a character virtually nobody knows anything about, is approaching $1k. Whoops....

Meh, we're just chatting.

I know who Elsa B is for what that's worth.

I'd love for someone to convince me that Miles is a good investment and not all internet hype.

I want to want a copy.

On 4/18/2022 at 11:48 AM, lostboys said:

I'd love for someone to convince me that Miles is a good investment and not all internet hype.

I want to want a copy.

Like I said, you've already made up your mind. Do you think the future is not on the internet?

On 4/19/2022 at 1:25 AM, lostboys said:

Why would Miles Morales be bigger than Deadpool, Rick Grimes and Venom? Based on what?

I'm sure there's plenty of people who think few characters can come close to Venom's popularity but I think Miles is already more popular. He's just being noticed by a younger audience. The PS5 game, the movies and the multiple successful comic series are testament to his acceptance as a quality character. They've used that acceptance by the community to make him a huge marvel property.

So many Deadpool and Venom fans are middle-aged now. Miles is THE character to follow and if you're investing for the long term, you don't invest in things that are popular now, you invest in things that young people love now and buy when they have more income. So many of my nieces and nephews are around the 10-15 year range and they prefer Miles to Peter. I don't argue with that. I use that to my advantage.

This is all my opinion from the investment side (not collecting) but wanted to share a viewpoint on why I think Miles will be a nice investment for the next 10 years +. I think opportunity is staring us in the face and we're hesitating because of things we liked when we were younger.

One very extreme but easy to use example is Tesla. Since it's inception, it's shares have been overpriced based on it's profit and production. Many, many people have tried to short it purely based on the fact that it's a 'cult and overpriced' and lost. What they didn't realise is what younger demographics thought of Elon. His perception as a Tony Stark like public persona pulled more and more people to buy the shares, no matter the logic thrown at it.

This is kind of like Miles at the moment. People are speculating hard on him because they know what he ultimately can become...and it's not a Peter Parker clone.

Edited by James42

On 4/18/2022 at 8:36 PM, James42 said:

I'm sure there's plenty of people who think few characters can come close to Venom's popularity but I think Miles is already more popular. He's just being noticed by a younger audience. The PS5 game, the movies and the multiple successful comic series are testament to his acceptance as a quality character. They've used that acceptance by the community to make him a huge marvel property.

So many Deadpool and Venom fans are middle-aged now. Miles is THE character to follow and if you're investing for the long term, you don't invest in things that are popular now, you invest in things that young people love now and buy when they have more income. So many of my nieces and nephews are around the 10-15 year range and they prefer Miles to Peter. I don't argue with that. I use that to my advantage.

This is all my opinion from the investment side (not collecting) but wanted to share a viewpoint on why I think Miles will be a nice investment for the next 10 years +. I think opportunity is staring us in the face and we're hesitating because of things we liked when we were younger.

One very extreme but easy to use example is Tesla. Since it's inception, it's shares have been overpriced based on it's profit and production. Many, many people have tried to short it purely based on the fact that it's a 'cult and overpriced' and lost. What they didn't realise is what younger demographics thought of Elon. His perception as a Tony Stark like public persona pulled more and more people to buy the shares, no matter the logic thrown at it.

This is kind of like Miles at the moment. People are speculating hard on him because they know what he ultimately can become...and it's not a Peter Parker clone.

Nice! :golfclap:

Very convincing and I probably will end up grabbing  a 9.6 if I can find one that looks nice. A lot of the copies I see have a weird shape.

Truth is, I'm gonna end up leaving my collection to my daughter anyhow and I'd hate to have her curse me for not having a UF4  in there. 😆

She's 14 and her favorite Spidey movie is the 1st T. McGuire movie so I'm not so sure her generation is all in on Miles Morales. It's probably more the middle age collectors looking to 💰 in that are driving this frenzy. Kids aren't buying $1400 comics.

I still don't see Miles Morales being a huge deal to the next generation...just my opinion.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:48 PM, lostboys said:

It's probably more the middle age collectors looking to 💰 in that are driving this frenzy. Kids aren't buying $1400 comics.

I still don't see Miles Morales being a huge deal to the next generation...just my opinion.

That's true. I think speculators are driving this rise too. But kids who grew up watching Miles and reading his comics most probably will want a slice of his history when they're 30-40 and have cash to blow. If you can find a 9.6 for a good price, why not invest if you have conviction? There's plenty of big fluctuations on auctions for 9.6s at the moment. 

Our views of things are coloured by who we talk to but I'd be interested to see who young people actually see as Spider-man (outside our circle of friends and family). I'm making assumptions based on small sample sizes.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:03 AM, James42 said:

That's true. I think speculators are driving this rise too. But kids who grew up watching Miles and reading his comics most probably will want a slice of his history when they're 30-40 and have cash to blow. If you can find a 9.6 for a good price, why not invest if you have conviction? There's plenty of big fluctuations on auctions for 9.6s at the moment. 

Our views of things are coloured by who we talk to but I'd be interested to see who young people actually see as Spider-man (outside our circle of friends and family). I'm making assumptions based on small sample sizes.

Although the book has been pretty stagnant this year, there are definitely opportunities to save a couple hundred when buying 9.8s, 9.6s & 9.4s

9.2s are bizarre.  They sell very close to 9.4 prices

The last sale of a 9.4 = $961

The last sale of a 9.2 = $1081 ???

On 4/18/2022 at 8:48 AM, lostboys said:

I want to want a copy.

Looks like you already know the answer.  

-J.

On 4/18/2022 at 9:37 AM, ygogolak said:

I'm not sure what you're wanting to hear? The value is all you need to see. You're trying to rationalize an irrational market.
I probably shouldn't mention that the 1st Elsa Bloodstone, a character virtually nobody knows anything about, is approaching $1k. Whoops....

The low print run is a big reason, and the cover has certain assets that attract the GGA cover collectors as well.

Edited by kimik

Re: UF 4, there was some excitement last Friday at a LCS. The owner has been pulling backstock from storage for a while now since everything is selling so fast. Mixed in with a bunch of nothing Marvel Now #1s (All New X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Hulk) was a stack of 25-30 sealed UF4s. He said he likely has more someplace as he reordered 300 shortly after release on a hunch. Smart move.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:45 PM, kimik said:

Re: UF 4, there was some excitement last Friday at a LCS. The owner has been pulling backstock from storage for a while now since everything is selling so fast. Mixed in with a bunch of nothing Marvel Now #1s (All New X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Hulk) was a stack of 25-30 sealed UF4s. He said he likely has more someplace as he reordered 300 shortly after release on a hunch. Smart move.

This is the only problem with UF 4.  People have stockpiles of the book....

On 4/19/2022 at 12:49 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

As long as demand is high it will not matter in the end. I can remember having debates about IH 181 and other common BA keys in the early or mid 00s here on the boards. Back then, they were everywhere and just a few hundred for a raw NM copy. Right now it seems like there is enough Miles demand to cover the high supply. Will that last? Likely, but it is not a certainty.

On 4/19/2022 at 2:49 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The original distribution is not that high compared to demand. NM 98 is what, 3x minimum the distribution? And the only reason that would matter is if everyone was to sell at once.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:39 PM, kimik said:

The low print run is a big reason, and the cover has certain assets that attract the GGA cover collectors as well.

This. You guys keep comparing this book to Spiderman 300 and NM98.  There are so many copies of those books printed, graded, and for sale it’s crazy. Popularity alone carries them. Not knocking the books because I like them myself. But price is a function of supply too, not just demand. 

UF4 all the way.

Storytime aka 'cool story, bro':
I dismissed Miles and Spider-Gwen when they got announced / released.
Felt it was just a play for Marvel to appear 'progressive' in their alt-universe stories.
Took tiny human (5yo) to see Into the Spider-Verse.
My mind was changed when I saw his engagement with the character.
He now considers Miles his favorite Spider-Man because he  is 'cool' and isn't 'old' like Peter Parker.
So I set my mind to adding UF4 to my collection so I could then pass it on to him in the future.
Got my UF4 9.6 in August of 2019 for $150, after the run up to the movie.
Then there was the pop in 2020 when the PS5 game came out.
Then there was the pop in 2021 when everyone theorized he'd be in 'No Way Home'.
Now there is the slow rise in anticipation of Across the Spider-Verse 1 + 2 AND Spider-Man 2 on PS5.

Also, Disney+ has Miles in their Spidey and His Amazing Friends cartoon.
He isn't going anywhere for awhile.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:52 AM, Beastfeast said:

I'll be the guy that misses out because I sold so many for $20 way back when.  REALLLLLY hard to justify spending the money to get them back.  

The worst is that I sold 3 of the variants for $150-$250 :tonofbricks:

Right there with you. In my mind these are still books I was paying $1-$5 and selling for $20. I've got a lot of sold-too-soon regrets, but I think about the stacks of UF4 I used to have, and I get a little woozy...

On 7/14/2023 at 3:00 PM, MikeBishop said:

Making investment decisions can be tricky, especially when it comes to modern keys like your Miles Morales comics. It's great that you're considering different factors like grades and rarity.

To add a fun twist to your decision-making process, why not roll dice? It can give you a random element to consider. In terms of long-term investment, both options have their pros and cons. The CGC 9.8 Cover A has a higher grade and potentially broader appeal, but the Variant has lower overall census and may be considered more unique. Consider factors like the popularity of the character, market trends, and personal preference. Researching recent sales and consulting with experienced collectors can provide valuable insights.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:26 PM, James42 said:

Hi,

I've been mulling over the better investment decision for important modern keys.

As an example I have two Miles Morales keys that I'm interested in -

1. Ultimate Comics All New Spiderman 1 (Cover A) CGC 9.8 - approx $1100

2. Ultimate Comics All New Spiderman 1 (1:15 Pichelli unmasked variant) CGC 9.6 - approx $1100

Basically there's a trade off with grades and rarity (CGC census is 3355 for Cover A in all grades and the Variant is 468 in all grades).

I'm interested to see what book would you choose for a long term investment and why?

Thanks,

James

How about neither? The market is depressed at present, and you may be better served by saving your pennies and buying a lower-graded copy of a Silver classic. :preach:

On 4/13/2022 at 10:26 PM, James42 said:

As an example I have two Miles Morales keys that I'm interested in -

1. Ultimate Comics All New Spiderman 1 (Cover A) CGC 9.8 - approx $1100

2. Ultimate Comics All New Spiderman 1 (1:15 Pichelli unmasked variant) CGC 9.6 - approx $1100

Since this topic is from April 2022, it might be interesting to to update the choices with July 2023 outcomes:

1. Ultimate Comics All New Spiderman 1 (Cover A) CGC 9.8 - approx $1100 (April 2022) - 90 Day Average Sale Price (July 2023) $602 

2. Ultimate Comics All New Spiderman 1 (1:15 Pichelli unmasked variant) CGC 9.6 - approx $1100 (April 2022) - 90 Day Average Sale Price (July 2023) $552

(Board Discussion Suggestion) Ultimate Fallout #4 CGC 9.6 - approx $1100 (April 2022) - 90 Day Average Sale Price (July 2023) $677

Edited by valiantman