• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan The Barbarian (1982): Unanswered Questions
2 2

19 posts in this topic

I've watched this movie a gazillion times and am watching it this minute LOL.  A near perfect movie by my standards but I have 1 major complaint and a few outstanding questions I never understood and I'm hoping some of you can answer...

My one and only complaint:  Why the hell was young Conan fishing in a frozen puddle at the beginning of the movie!?! I can't get over that!

Questions:

1) The Wheel of Pain, were they grinding wheat or something or just bulking the kids up?:roflmao:

2) Why did the red hair dude let Conan go?  Guilt or something?

3) Conan's Sword, who was the the skeleton he got the sword from?

4) What was the point of the witch? (Besides a good sex scene LOL)

Edited by Xenosmilus

MHO :)

#1-just using slave labor to grind grain-Conan became Conan as he got older so he was able to push it himself :) 

#2-his owner let him go as a show of respect-plus he had already made his owner rich and noone in that hemisphere wanted to get their champion killed anyway -(commentator did say that he was probably afraid that Conan would eventually kill him to get free eventually, so he let him go early)

#3-this scene was taken from Conan #92-where Conan grew up (Cimmeria, Vanaheim, etc. )-that area always reeked a Norse mythology-Conan fell into a burial tomb for a local king, (never named as anyone of note)-the story was adapted from a short story by Lin Carter and L. Sprague DeCamp. 

#4-another nod to the Conan comics-from Conan story arc in Conan #49-51-though he never did shack up with the witch in the story-but the first time I saw the movie these were the issues I immediately thought of-lots of instance across the Conan and Savage Sword runs where Conan ends up having sex with non-human looking females (almost a tree one time) (Conan #41-also hilarously referenced in the Korgoth of Barbarian cartoon.). He tends to shoot first and ask questions later. 

Conan092.jpg

Conan049.jpg

Conan050.jpg

Conan051.jpg

Edited by fett

On 4/16/2022 at 5:28 PM, fett said:

MHO :)

#1-just using slave labor to grind grain-Conan became Conan as he got older so he was able to push it himself :) 

#2-his owner let him go as a show of respect-plus he had already made his owner rich and noone in that hemisphere wanted to get their champion killed anyway -(commentator did say that he was probably afraid that Conan would eventually kill him to get free eventually, so he let him go early)

#3-this scene was taken from Conan #92-where Conan grew up (Cimmeria, Vanaheim, etc. )-that area always reeked a Norse mythology-Conan fell into a burial tomb for a local king, (never named as anyone of note)-the story was adapted from a short story by Lin Carter and L. Sprague DeCamp. 

#4-another nod to the Conan comics-from Conan story arc in Conan #49-51-though he never did shack up with the witch in the story-but the first time I saw the movie these were the issues I immediately thought of-lots of instance across the Conan and Savage Sword runs where Conan ends up having sex with non-human looking females (almost a tree one time) (Conan #41-also hilarously referenced in the Korgoth of Barbarian cartoon.). He tends to shoot first and ask questions later. 

Conan092.jpg

Conan049.jpg

Conan050.jpg

Conan051.jpg

Any thoughts about young Conan fishing in a frozen puddle?:roflmao::facepalm:

On 4/16/2022 at 5:28 PM, fett said:

(commentator did say that he was probably afraid that Conan would eventually kill him to get free eventually, so he let him go early)

I have the movie on iTunes. No commentary. Is there an U4K Blue Ray with commentary out?

On 4/17/2022 at 12:43 AM, Xenosmilus said:

6cuc5v.jpeg

I think that is right when Franco Columbu performing as a Pictish scout jumps on top of the rock.

conan_fc.thumb.jpg.70226386086776e93ee67ce1c95d6252.jpg

He used to train Sylvester Stallone.

mqdefault.jpg.a52b46bb821221eb9716e951e18f2200.jpg

And for a 5'5" man he was huge even next to Arnold.

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Remembers-Franco-Columbu-1024x576.thumb.jpg.c675b257f6ef4860942059abd284fd01.jpg

Edited by Bosco685